webfact

‘Buddha’s footprint’ found on Surat Thani mountain

108 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

How come all these Buddha footprints are huge... I did not know he was a giant?

 

Also how come there are only ever one huge footprint... not 2 or more?  Did he like to hop about miles at a time?

 

And, Buddha never came to Thailand in his life travels... so how come there are his footprints here?

 

Finally, when people find these footprints, do they quickly destroy the area of its forest, concrete everything, put up huge expensive temples and start begging money and 'gifts' off people.... all of these things being totally opposite to Buddha's teachings?

 

 

He was not a giant, but he met 2 giant cannibals in Chiang Mai who by all accounts wanted to eat him. He was so nice to them that they could not do it and they became Buddhists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slip said:

Buddhism ia not a religion.  Apparently though it IS a reason for bitter old western guys who despise Thailand and Thai people to  have a moan up on Thai visa.

My feelings are we should not discriminate against Buddhism. They are all the same.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

My Thai GF, who has studied Buddhism extensively, tells me that Thai Buddhism is not really Buddhism. I am just beginning to

understand what she means. :smile:

I have the same issue with my Thai wife. I have visited Sri Lanka which was stated as being a last bastion for true Buddhism. I did not find it there, not that I was really looking. Thai Buddhism is a mixture of culture, belief in spirits, not only of the human dead and animism. I am constantly warned to watch out for ghosts, spirits of the rice and bananas. To always leave lights on in the bedroom and around the house (apparently spirits don't like lights)

So I have learned to sleep with a small light on. However as a total agnostic, I find the Buddhist culture to be ok. My wife has a Lao background a long time ago. I went to a full Buddhist funeral today to say goodbye to a good Thai man and a friend. It was most moving. If there is Nirvana, I hope he finds it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slip said:

Buddhism ia not a religion.  Apparently though it IS a reason for bitter old western guys who despise Thailand and Thai people to  have a moan up on Thai visa.

I love Thailand so much that I have moved here. I also love my Thai wife and that helped me move here. I also love the Thai culture and customs. If you had been to a Thai cremation at the local Wat today, as I did, you would be a bit sceptical about saying Buddhism in Thailand is not a religion. It is almost a forebear of any Catholic funeral. Chanting, bowing down to statues, formalised chant and reply, incense wafting, offerings to monks, praying for the dead "spirit" and a wish for the deceased to go to nirvana. What side of Thai Buddhism do you not understand?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I have the same issue with my Thai wife. I have visited Sri Lanka which was stated as being a last bastion for true Buddhism. I did not find it there, not that I was really looking. Thai Buddhism is a mixture of culture, belief in spirits, not only of the human dead and animism. I am constantly warned to watch out for ghosts, spirits of the rice and bananas. To always leave lights on in the bedroom and around the house (apparently spirits don't like lights)

So I have learned to sleep with a small light on. However as a total agnostic, I find the Buddhist culture to be ok. My wife has a Lao background a long time ago. I went to a full Buddhist funeral today to say goodbye to a good Thai man and a friend. It was most moving. If there is Nirvana, I hope he finds it.

Last December wife and I went to Nepal - and had the same experience as you.

Monks that walk around with their smartphone in hand and eat "biff" (kwai beef, in a majority hindu country......

As for Sri Lanka, the buddhists there recently  won a bloody civil war against the hindus.

 

As long as the believers do not bother the non believers, there is no harm done. But taking them seriously? No Way!

PS. Currently travelling in  Portugal. Visited a church where you can insert coins in an automat to make electric candles burn.

Modern times!

 

 

 

 

P1250517.JPG

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Last December wife and I went to Nepal - and had the same experience as you.

Monks that walk around with their smartphone in hand and eat "biff" (kwai beef, in a majority hindu country......

As for Sri Lanka, the buddhists there recently  won a bloody civil war against the hindus.

 

As long as the believers do not bother the non believers, there is no harm done. But taking them seriously? No Way!

PS. Currently travelling in  Portugal. Visited a church where you can insert coins in an automat to make electric candles burn.

Modern times!

 

 

 

 

P1250517.JPG

I hope you can visit Thailand soon. Your posts are humorous mostly and enlightening always. Hope you are enjoying your trip to Portugal. (do some fishing for me) I do not believe in anything high and mighty, I do respect all cultures and religions that not only preach peace but practise it too. (becoming so hard to find now) Thailand is mostly ok now, no more political killings, mostly Thai life continues as normal and the people are safe and fed. If the Tourist Police have found another 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

My Thai GF, who has studied Buddhism extensively, tells me that Thai Buddhism is not really Buddhism. I am just beginning to

understand what she means.

 

11 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

My Thai wife finally got so fed up with Thai "Buddhism" that she started going to a Christian Church, later converted, and came home and got rid of any & everything connected to Buddhism, including one large, and very expensive San Ka Poom (prayer house/temple) in our front yard, donating it to the moo bahn. 

 

Rest assured that if you think that Thai Buddhism is not really Buddhism then trust me, most Thai Christians are even further from what most mainstream Christians consider to be the teachings of their man in heaven.  But then Trump's largest group of supporters in the US are evangelicals. So who are we to judge?

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

I hope you can visit Thailand soon. Your posts are humorous mostly and enlightening always. Hope you are enjoying your trip to Portugal. (do some fishing for me) I do not believe in anything high and mighty, I do respect all cultures and religions that not only preach peace but practise it too. (becoming so hard to find now) Thailand is mostly ok now, no more political killings, mostly Thai life continues as normal and the people are safe and fed. If the Tourist Police have found another 

Thanks for your answer - but small misunderstanding.... I do live in Thailand 7 months of the year, with my wife - in rural Chanthaburi.

We are always happy to return to Thailand, and we are equally happy to visit Europe.

Both have their +++ and ---.

I try to enjoy the good sides of both, and when the negatives become too much, it is time to change places again.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Thanks for your answer - but small misunderstanding.... I do live in Thailand 7 months of the year, with my wife - in rural Chanthaburi.

We are always happy to return to Thailand, and we are equally happy to visit Europe.

Both have their +++ and ---.

I try to enjoy the good sides of both, and when the negatives become too much, it is time to change places again.

 

 

Prachinburi for me. Glad you can afford to travel so much. But to the topic, I stumbled across footprints on the low tide at Broome West Australia. Turned out that they were some sort of well documented dinosaur footprints from millions of years ago. They did not put Broome on the map, the beautiful climate and Aussie hospitality did that. The "footprints" could be caused by a number of things, maybe it was the Buddha. If it raises a tourist profile, all good. Hope I catch up with you one day old hippy.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Johpa said:

 

Rest assured that if you think that Thai Buddhism is not really Buddhism then trust me, most Thai Christians are even further from what most mainstream Christians consider to be the teachings of their man in heaven.  But then Trump's largest group of supporters in the US are evangelicals. So who are we to judge?

 

 

I guess that it is "normal" to have a big difference between the original ideas and reality as it turns out after some years.

That goes for all theories, from free market or Marxism or democracy to various religions.

"Normal" yes, but it annoys me when the true believers refuse to see this, and deviate always further from their own principles.

 

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Slip said:

I don't intend to get into this with you for 2 reasons- 1) What I'm referring to is so common in the posts that it is obvious 2) Your gambit that I am in some way scared to name names on an anonymous forum is ridiculous.

If you can't see what I'm referring to so be it. I've been around quite a lot longer than you so perhaps I recognise the comments that I'm talking about more quickly than you. If you are still having trouble why don't you have another read through the posts more slowly. 

...post songkran stress disorder.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

He was not a giant, but he met 2 giant cannibals in Chiang Mai who by all accounts wanted to eat him. He was so nice to them that they could not do it and they became Buddhists.

...pull the other Big Foot on the Yeti monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The Shroud of Turin is a perfect example that Buddhism is not the only religion that can hoodwink its follows.

 

Claimed to have the burial shroud of Jesus following his death, now carbon dated to have originated in the middle ages! Yet it is still revered!

 

16 hours ago, thequietman said:

But maybe that is Gods plan. He deliberately dated the shroud to the middle ages. He is testing us all the time. :passifier:

More likely to be part of man's great plan to hoodwink and control the masses. (Pun intended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This 'news' article makes me think of TOURISM

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hEaDy said:

Jesus was never in the UK, the United States

Don't tell Mormons of the Latter Day Saints Church in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I have the same issue with my Thai wife. I have visited Sri Lanka which was stated as being a last bastion for true Buddhism. I did not find it there, not that I was really looking. Thai Buddhism is a mixture of culture, belief in spirits, not only of the human dead and animism. I am constantly warned to watch out for ghosts, spirits of the rice and bananas. To always leave lights on in the bedroom and around the house (apparently spirits don't like lights)

So I have learned to sleep with a small light on. However as a total agnostic, I find the Buddhist culture to be ok. My wife has a Lao background a long time ago. I went to a full Buddhist funeral today to say goodbye to a good Thai man and a friend. It was most moving. If there is Nirvana, I hope he finds it.

Ah yes the door of enlightenment has opened a crack. Good read. I am an agnostic to with atheist leanings. To be or not to be that is the question. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, cruisemonkey said:

Jesus Christ, ANOTHER Buddah's footprint?... Allah be praised!

Its a footprint open for interpretation. Seeing as how you mention Jesus Christ it could be  his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it could be Thailand's version of Bigfoot.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Slip said:

I don't intend to get into this with you for 2 reasons- 1) What I'm referring to is so common in the posts that it is obvious 2) Your gambit that I am in some way scared to name names on an anonymous forum is ridiculous.

If you can't see what I'm referring to so be it. I've been around quite a lot longer than you so perhaps I recognise the comments that I'm talking about more quickly than you. If you are still having trouble why don't you have another read through the posts more slowly. 

Your first paragraph is not quite true. Although this is an anonymous forum, but you can refer to user names, which would allow the op's to answer you and defend their corners, on your accusation of 'bitter old western guy's'

Your second paragraph refers to you being around a lot longer than me. How would you know that? No! personally i think you have made a post whilst under the affluence of incahol, which at the time made sense to you.But later, it looks a bit silly. And you are quite right not to get into this with me, i believe that i have a fairly good knowledge of religion, and now you bring up the old, boring, much used, rationale about people who hate Thailand and Thai people, that is so old hat. Find a new argument, Slip old buddy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

 

More likely to be part of man's great plan to hoodwink and control the masses. (Pun intended)

There was a thing on the TV the other night, about the dating of the TS. They actually proved that it was a fake, and  that it was actually 14th century. They also said that it was a product of 'light' photo screening. I think the carbon dating of the shroud proved it a fake also.

I always think that if people didn't have a God to believe in, they would invent one. The new Testament is over 2000 years old and anything could have been instituted into it that people wanted to think happened.lso there are the dead sea scrolls and others that have been found, that have been stolen for personal gain, or have taken so long in being deciphered (40 years in one case.) They have now found a testament by Judas, and Phillip. And also that the scrolls are hiding something that would rock the foundations of the Catholic Church, maybe even Judaism itself.And the question is, did the Nazerine write a testament? If not, why not?ts possible, why would he have not wanted to leave proof of his existence and his life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Its a footprint open for interpretation. Seeing as how you mention Jesus Christ it could be  his. 

Do the Thais have any books or reading matter concerning life here 2000 years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I love Thailand so much that I have moved here. I also love my Thai wife and that helped me move here. I also love the Thai culture and customs. If you had been to a Thai cremation at the local Wat today, as I did, you would be a bit sceptical about saying Buddhism in Thailand is not a religion. It is almost a forebear of any Catholic funeral. Chanting, bowing down to statues, formalised chant and reply, incense wafting, offerings to monks, praying for the dead "spirit" and a wish for the deceased to go to nirvana. What side of Thai Buddhism do you not understand?

I have been , and it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Do the Thais have any books or reading matter concerning life here 2000 years ago?

Good question it is I presumed that they were an advanced civilization at the time. Time has stood still I guess or gone slightly in reverse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 30 April 2017 04:13
Sponsors