midas

In what ways would Thailand be affected economically if World War 3 starts?

65 posts in this topic

I keep wondering about this question as the war drums beat louder every day.

One immediate effect I could foresee early in a war would be a dramatic shortage of fuel particularly  if Iran becomes involved and carries out its long-standing threat to close the Strait of Hormuz through which on average, 14 crude oil tankers pass through each day carrying an estimated 17 million barrels which is more than a third of the world’s seaborne oil. 

 

Quote

Former hedge fund manager Martin Armstrong, who is an expert on economic and political cycles, says, “You have to understand what makes war even take place? It does not unfold when everybody is fat and happy. Simple as that. You turn the economy down, and that’s when you get war. It’s the way politics works.”

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/is-world-war-the-twisted-cure-for-a-doomed-economy-signals-for-war-are-fiscal_04192017

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 2   Posted (edited)

Judging from WW2 and VN, my guess is they'd give aid and rights of port and air strips etc, to the country with the most influence on them.

 

Japan has built alot of public works projects in throughtout Thailand, the US still helps out militarily. My guess is the US  and it's asian allies will take care of LOS. 

 

The big question is how will the Chinese figure into it all.

Edited by Rob13
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Judging from WW2 and VN, my guess is they'd give aid and rights of port and air strips etc, to the country with the most influence on them.

 

Japan has built alot of public works projects in throughtout Thailand, the US still helps out militarily. My guess is the US  and it's asian allies will take care of LOS. 

 

The big question is how will the Chinese figure into it all.

Interesting question indeed!

I can't see them cosying up to America this time because geopolitics has changed so much since WW2 and VN and Thailand's relationship with USA today involves millions of visitors coming from China and infrastructure projects like high-speed rail.

Just because China has turned its back on North Korea doesn't mean it's turned its back on its relations with Russia and what's left of the decimated ambitions of BRICS so I don't think they will upset China by supporting USA.

In fact the Wall Street Journal wrote about when this shift started to happen in 2015

 

Thailand Tilts Away From the U.S.

The military snubs its longtime ally to buy Chinese subs.

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/thailand-tilts-away-from-the-u-s-1435678360

Edited by midas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, i think alot of small east asian countries may be thinking these days that China's not so bad. They're good trsding partners and they're predictable. If a war were to break out today, going with China might be a better looking option than relying on the US.

 

I think Japan would drop their self defense policy and be a big player in the region. Hard to imagine in peace time,but if the PRC was involved SK might align themselves with Japan( and the US)against the NK and Beijing. It'd be a scary war whatever happens.

 

The way trump is though you gotta wonder how many allied countries would turn their back on.the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have to print the flags or the protagonists ,like it did during WW2.Oh ,we were on your side realy.


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reenatinnakor said:

A better question would be how do we defend ourselves from a zombie outbreak? Or an alien invasion? Both of these are more likely than ww3 breaking out.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

nope...........definitely haven’t seen any evidence of zombies or aliens but have definitely seen unwarranted and blatant aggression based on lies and propaganda by a country looking to start a fight - now with Russia / Iran  / North Korea all at the same time!

But  maybe you’re just not very good at joining the dots:giggle:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If WW III were to break out I certainly wouldn't give a to$$ about the economic impact on Thailand, tbh. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

A better question would be how do we defend ourselves from a zombie outbreak? Or an alien invasion? Both of these are more likely than ww3 breaking out.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Agreed, WWlll will be total and nothing left.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

In what ways would Thailand be affected economically if World War 3 starts?

If it involves nuclear weapons being used, I would think the economic and population impact would bear little resemblance to WW2 or the American war in Vietnam. It's unlikely to depend that much on "boots on the ground" at least initially. Some people above are thinking in terms of armies of men shooting at each other from ditches. Even in "minor" skirmishes or attempts to defeat terrorists ... missiles into Syria or bombs dropped on Afghanistan ... it's hardly comparable to the style of warfare in WW2 and the O/P asked about a "World War."

 

With Comrades Kim Jong Donald and Kim Jong Un calling the shots, thinking in terms of battles fought  50 or 70 years ago is unrealistic ... old men fighting the last war.

 

nukes.jpg.dd186107f61216e0637311f75b3c1ed9.jpg 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If it involves nuclear weapons being used, I would think the economic and population impact would bear little resemblance to WW2 or the American war in Vietnam. It's unlikely to depend that much on "boots on the ground" at least initially. Some people above are thinking in terms of armies of men shooting at each other from ditches. Even in "minor" skirmishes or attempts to defeat terrorists ... missiles into Syria or bombs dropped on Afghanistan ... it's hardly comparable to the style of warfare in WW2 and the O/P asked about a "World War."

 

With Comrades Kim Jong Donald and Kim Jong Un calling the shots, thinking in terms of battles fought  50 or 70 years ago is unrealistic ... old men fighting the last war.

 

nukes.jpg.dd186107f61216e0637311f75b3c1ed9.jpg 

 

 

 

 

Realistically north Korea's attempt would be over before it has begun. All depends on what big brother China's reaction is.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Yeah, i think alot of small east asian countries may be thinking these days that China's not so bad. They're good trsding partners and they're predictable. If a war were to break out today, going with China might be a better looking option than relying on the US.

 

I think Japan would drop their self defense policy and be a big player in the region. Hard to imagine in peace 

 

The way trump is though you gotta wonder how many allied countries would turn their back on.the US.

None would.

 

Some leaders may not agree entirely, but they're not stupid.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Realistically north Korea's attempt would be over before it has begun. All depends on what big brother China's reaction is.

 

On the contrary USA should be worried that North Korea could do something to it that I don't think China would

 

Quote

 

 What is not being discussed is a much bigger and more imminent threat that makes action imperative, an existential one for the United States. 

The nightmare scenario of an America sent back centuries in time before electricity, refrigeration, and smart phones has grown unnervingly closer with the presence of two North Korean satellites with orbits over a blissfully unaware American populace and an Obama administration that was indifferent to the apocalyptic threat of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack.

On Feb. 7, 2016, North Korea launched a second satellite, the KMS-4, to join their KMS-3 satellite launched in December of 2012. In an article in the Washington Times on April 24, 2016, R. James Woolsey,  former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, and Peter Vincent Fry, executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security as well as director of the Nuclear Strategy Forum, both congressional advisory boards, warned of the dangers of an apocalyptic EMP attack that these and similar satellites pose:

Both satellites now are in south polar orbits, evading many U.S. missile defense radars and flying over the United States from the south, where our defenses are limited. Both satellites -- if nuclear armed -- could make an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack that could blackout the U.S. electric grid for months or years, thereby killing millions.


 

 

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/04/could_north_korea_destroy_the_us.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Thailand would be viewed as the closest US territory to Korea by the North, sitting duck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Nice being old,sometimes.  Really don't 

give a sh**...all speculation, anyway!!!

It's only a case of hope for the best but prepare for the worst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 21   Posted (edited)

Pattaya will become a den of iniquity and the economy will boom boom as soldiers on leave seek to satisfy their carnal desires.

 

Wait a sec ??? :dry:... Oh, nevermind.

Edited by cruisemonkey
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

A better question would be how do we defend ourselves from a zombie outbreak? Or an alien invasion? Both of these are more likely than ww3 breaking out.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

Exactly the thought pattern before WW1 and WW2.

Difference now there a few states like NK and Iran that have no compunction with others and their own, and are blinded by power and/or religion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China vs US

 

we hit them high via Japan 

 

they come low through Thailand

 

lots dead, Manchuko resurrects, 

 

Vietnam back into Kampuchia

 

Sino Civil War

 

Taiwan / N Korea graveyards

 

besides that, not much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Economic impact would be low down on my list of priorities.

 

What could be highly amusing though is nuclear fallout rendering people's stashes of gold radioactive so that no-one wants to take it off you LOL

 

Similarly tin foil hats and cans of baked beans may not be all they're cracked up to be

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really depends if it's a conventional war or a nuclear one, and between whom.  Wars have been going on in the Middle East for some time and most of us are unaffected.  Even the price of oil hasn't been affected. 

 

The only wars that would impact Thailand to a large degree would be a regional one.  Which means N. Korea.  Kim Jong Fatboy will make a lot of noise, but won't do anything.  He just wants to stay in power.  I would think he knows that any sort of nuclear engagement would mean the end of his regime.  He'll be incinerated.  

 

But if he's provoked...who knows.  This is where having a competent, level-headed, and even-tempered President in the US is so important.  Unfortunately, we don't have that right now.    

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 26 April 2017 01:23
Sponsors
  • Popular Now