tropo

A question for condo dwellers

71 posts in this topic

my condo is at the cliff,cosy beach---i havent  heard any noise through the floor, above or below--noise has to be fairly extreme,to hear through the walls even....i would be seriously cocerned about the quality of any condo where noise can be heard through the floors---keep right away,,,

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

Without knowing the building or your new neighbors nobody can say one way or another how the noise level will be. But I will do you a favor and be the guy that says everything will be okay with no further information of any kind if it will make you feel more at ease. 

So there you go put your noise concerns to rest some random stranger on the internet has said it won't be an issue.

Thank you for your facetious reply, but you needn't have bothered. 

Contrary to what you may think I have gained a lot of valuable insight about living in condos from this thread. Most people have been very helpful. I've learned a lot and my question has been satisfactorily answered.

I'm certainly not going to give out my address on an Internet forum, which I would be doing if I named the building because it has very few units.

If you have any other good advice, please keep it to yourself.

I noticed the buildings from these indian developers have then thinnest walls and the most noise.Best is to buy from A Thai developer.7 seas,carebean ,Atlantis all noisy when ur neighbor close his door u will stand up in your bed.

2 people like this

I've rented for 8 years now. Old condo, built solidly.

I simply don't get any noise from below or above me under normal circumstances. Ditto on both sides.

Most of the noise I get is from renovations. There's also one inconsiderate turd who has screaming matches with his Vietnamese GF around 9 pm, and slams his door at 6 am on his way to work. I wouldn't mind the screaming matches if I could understand what she was saying.

1 person likes this

Hi Tropo welcome to Pattaya.some question u say ur unit covers one entire floor thats sounds cool can ask u whats the sqm of this unit? whats ur rent? and what views?its somewhat unusual to rent a complete floor in a condominium as most condos buildings in Pattaya  are pretty big with atleast 4-30 units.most condos noise travels from wall to wall not from floor to ceilings.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Suggest you pay her a visit after 6 AM and ask. No doubt she needs a bit of comforting at that point. Later, you could yell through the wall in her defense.

She's built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll pass.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hi Tropo welcome to Pattaya.

Good one. :smile:

some question u say ur unit covers one entire floor thats sounds cool

No, that's not what he said. He merely said he has no neighbors on the sides. Pay attention.

most condos noise travels from wall to wall not from floor to ceilings.

Yep, that's been noted. Nor is that the object of concern for obvious reasons.

ID: 59   Posted (edited)

some question u say ur unit covers one entire floor thats sounds cool

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No, that's not what he said. He merely said he has no neighbors on the sides. Pay attention.

I think it's you who has to pay attention.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:00 PM, tropo said:

I found a big one which occupies an entire floor, and so I'm tempted.

Edited by janclaes47
2 people like this

16 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I think it's you who has to pay attention.

OK. Sorry! tropo?

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hi Tropo welcome to Pattaya.some question u say ur unit covers one entire floor thats sounds cool can ask u whats the sqm of this unit? whats ur rent? and what views?its somewhat unusual to rent a complete floor in a condominium as most condos buildings in Pattaya  are pretty big with atleast 4-30 units.most condos noise travels from wall to wall not from floor to ceilings.

Thank you. I've actually lived in Pattaya for over 11 years, but never in a condo.

The floor area is listed as 240 m2, an entire floor. That's the only reason I'm interested in renting a condo now as I'm used to living in at least 200 m2. Affordable condos have always been too small for me. I won't mention the rent until I've signed LOL. The elevator opens directly into the unit.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

OK. Sorry! tropo?

Yeah, maybe I didn't mention it before, but the condo occupies an entire floor. That's the main reason I'm interested in this one. I've always shunned condos because affordable ones are always too small, and the idea of having neighbours above and below, and on 2 or 3 sides puts me off - and it feels a bit claustrophobic too. Also having to use busy elevators and walking along corridors never appealed to me. With this one, side neighbours are of no concern, and only 3 floors use my elevator. The other 2 are currently unoccupied.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

OK. Sorry! tropo?

Wrong its Destiny!but i accept ur apology😀

ID: 64   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Thank you. I've actually lived in Pattaya for over 11 years, but never in a condo.

The floor area is listed as 240 m2, an entire floor. That's the only reason I'm interested in renting a condo now as I'm used to living in at least 200 m2. Affordable condos have always been too small for me. I won't mention the rent until I've signed LOL. The elevator opens directly into the unit.

Sounds cool...so basically its a pretty small condo building as one entire floor covers only 240 sqm.so why u need so much space do u like to play snooker or other hobbies?

Edited by Destiny1990

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Sounds cool...so basically its a pretty small condo building as one entire floor covers only 240 sqm.so why u need so much space do u like to play snooker or other hobbies?

Yes, it's a small building.

I don't need that much space, but I enjoy it having had 200 m2 for over 6 years. 4 bedrooms: one for my gym, one for both of us to sleep in, a room for my wife to enjoy hanging out in with lots of room for her clothes, shoes, makeup etc and we can use the extra one for storage and/or guests.

Normally the gym would be a problem if I haven't got at least 3 rooms, because then I need to put it in the living room, which is where it is now.

I like the idea of getting a pool table as the living room has tons of space. How much noise do pool balls make on a condo floor? I lived below a pool table in my previous apartment and they were very loud when they hit the floor.

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, it's a small building.

I don't need that much space, but I enjoy it having had 200 m2 for over 6 years. 4 bedrooms: one for my gym, one for both of us to sleep in, a room for my wife to enjoy hanging out in with lots of room for her clothes, shoes, makeup etc and we can use the extra one for storage and/or guests.

Normally the gym would be a problem if I haven't got at least 3 rooms, because then I need to put it in the living room, which is where it is now.

I like the idea of getting a pool table as the living room has tons of space. How much noise do pool balls make on a condo floor? I lived below a pool table in my previous apartment and they were very loud when they hit the floor.

Bouncing pool balls make a hell of a noise   Especially on wood or tiles.So this an older building in Pattaya u not want to try living inJomtien where things are more natural.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:20 AM, tropo said:

What I'm most concerned about is whether walking on the floor travels through and also music. I'm not worried about outside noise or noise from the neighbours. I'm more concerned about disturbing them. I'm quite good at dealing with noise myself but some others may be hypersensitive.

You can probably tell how solid it is by walking on the floor or kind of running, (stomping) and checking how much it shakes or echos within the walls. I can tell, with all the condos in Hawaii which ones are solid and quiet.

Aloha

1 person likes this

Most people would never buy a pair of pants or a shirt without testing first, most people would never buy a car without a test drive.

Personally I would never buy a condo without living in the unit for at least a week. You can ask the seller if you can rent the unit for a week, rent refunded if you buy. The seller may ask you to not do any cooking and you may have to bring linen and possibly an inflatable mattress. He would probably also ask for access to show the unit to other buyers.

In any case a condo test drive is essential if you want to find out if there is anything that could cause you to regret buying the unit.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, KonaRain said:

You can probably tell how solid it is by walking on the floor or kind of running, (stomping) and checking how much it shakes or echos within the walls. I can tell, with all the condos in Hawaii which ones are solid and quiet.

Aloha

Good idea! I'll test that out today.

ID: 70   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, pattjock said:

Most people would never buy a pair of pants or a shirt without testing first, most people would never buy a car without a test drive.

Personally I would never buy a condo without living in the unit for at least a week. You can ask the seller if you can rent the unit for a week, rent refunded if you buy. The seller may ask you to not do any cooking and you may have to bring linen and possibly an inflatable mattress. He would probably also ask for access to show the unit to other buyers.

In any case a condo test drive is essential if you want to find out if there is anything that could cause you to regret buying the unit.

That would be tricky when renting. Good places rent quickly, so the landlords would not be interested in messing around like that. Finding a really good place is about being in the right place at the right time. You have to decide quickly, and if you don't, someone else will grab it. I understand an owner looking at a possible sale would be more conducive to allowing try before you buy.

Which means renting can be a gamble. You might not discover a problem until you've already signed a one-year contract. Bad neighbours may move in next door after you've already moved in. In my present situation, bad neighbours moved in 4 1/2 years later. Then there's the problem of renting a place and a new construction starts up next door. A lot of things can make something good turn sour later on. In Thailand, we also have the stress of ever changing visa regulations and requirements.

I've gained a lot of insight into living in condos from this thread and thank everyone for their valuable input.

Edited by tropo
2 people like this

Tropo,

If your worried about being stuck on a 1yr contract, why don't you try negotiating

a "get out clause" to be inserted in the contract in the event of an emergency?

Usually this can be agreed with a 1 month notice of departure working in

favour either way for Landlord or Tenant.