Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
snoop1130

Pilot forced to drop animal due to windy weather: Ministry

Pilot forced to drop animal due to windy weather: Ministry

By The Nation

b6ec70c0046c93b1df02216fc10aeed7.jpeg

Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment permanent secretary Wijarn Simachaya on Thursday said bad weather had caused a helicopter pilot to drop an Asian black bear in February, resulting in the bear’s death.

The helicopter transport was meant to return the animal safely to the wilderness. 

He said the death was still being investigated by the Office of Aviation for Natural Resource Conservation and the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP). 

He added that the ministry’s separate fact-finding probe should provide a clear answer about the causes of the tragedy by the end of the month. 

Wijarn said the DNP had airlifted wild animals before, but the weather conditions were bad that day with gusty winds, resulting in the helicopter shaking violently and forcing the pilot had to drop the bear. 

“It’s a tragedy that no one wants to see happen. We’ll take this lesson to improve the aviation system and airlifts of wild animals,” said Wijarn.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312841

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-20

So it wasn't bad weather when he began his flight then?  Yet another feeble attempt to cover up mistakes!!!!!

• Like 2

Annunciator audio warning changed from "Pull Up, Pull Up", to "Drop Bear, Drop Bear".

A load slung under a chopper can cause all sorts of stability problems for the pilot. A sudden wind change causing the pilot to make a correction that can swing the load causing another balance problem. Approaching a cliff with the wind coming off the cliff can mean the helicopter to be affected by downward or sideways winds again causing the slung load to swing. Think about a sudden side wind hitting a caravan towed behind your car, massive swinging and the caravan takes control of the car, it's a similar effect. In a chopper the only option is drop the load.

What a load of complete bull....

The first things that are checked in detail before any underslung lift by a helicopter are condition of the lifting/slinging equipment, load weight (can the helicopter take it), dimension of the load , drop zone condition and weather/wind conditions on route. It is possible for the weather to change but an experienced pilot would be able to assess and act accordingly. The only reason a load should be prematurely dropped is a technical fault with the helicopter.

Correct prior planning by an experienced pilot and support team would have meant a happy bear not a dead bear.......

• Like 2

When I first arrived, I'd overheard a long staying English friend remark to another 'Trust the Thais to <deleted> it up'. I was a tad taken aback at the time but in the twenty years since the rose coloured tint had completely disappeared from my glasses. About two years in.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

When I first arrived, I'd overheard a long staying English friend remark to another 'Trust the Thais to <deleted> it up'. I was a tad taken aback at the time but in the twenty years since the rose coloured tint had completely disappeared from my glasses. About two years in.

Does that mean that all the planes that crashed on landing due to wind shear at airports all over the world were piloted by xxxxxx, you fill in the blanks.

?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Holmsedale25 said:

I don't know, you tell me.

The case in question was a short flight into the hills to release the bear. Prior planning and thought should have highlighted all possible risks. If wind shear was one of them then this should have been taken into consideration and other means of transporting the bear assessed.

On the point of wind shear, the reason in can catch out even experienced pilots is that it doesn't have a big sign pointing to it, it's invisible, it's wind. When a plane enters an invisible upward, downward or sideways moving piece of air as well as it's forward speed it moves upward, downward or sideways at the exact same speed as that piece of air. That's why in a plane that hits turbulence if you're not strapped in and the plane drops suddenly you stay where you are. In real terms the luggage locker comes down and belts you, you don't go up and hit it.

You can be made aware of it pre-flight but you have no control over when you are going to encounter it.

Edited by overherebc

I'm surprised nobody thought of the obvious - he dropped it where friends could butcher & haul it away for sale.   Bear organs cost more than gold to chinese & others with magical beliefs.

Drop the pilot as he is at fault for not checking the weather conditions ahead ... I 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He added that the ministry’s separate fact-finding probe should provide a clear answer about the causes of the tragedy by the end of the month. 

Inept, incompetent officials who couldn't plan their way out of a wet paper bag are the cause. 

• Like 1