Darafarangset

Too many exemptions visa on my passport...

62 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nonsense, they want legitimime tourists.

Marcel Marceau would like that...:w00t:

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

YOU ARE BEING SUSPECTED OF WORING IN Thailand.

You need to show your income is in fact from outside Thailand and not earned in Thailand by working here, without a work permit.

Woring? Do you mean whoring or working? :cheesy:

:sorry: Couldn't help it.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

But one thing is for certain, ED visas are viewed by many checkpoint-IOs as de-facto proof you are working in Thailand illegally.  It is therefore not recommended to leave and return to Thailand while on an ED visa with a re-entry permit ('real' students should not be traveling around, seems to be the logic).  Also, when you are done with your studies, get a new passport, to remove any ED stickers from sight, before attempting to enter with any other type of visa.  This is not to say it cannot be done, but that many cases of folks reporting trouble entering on other visas have had an old ED visa in their passport, which led to an "A-HA" moment by the IO - like a detective who just found proof of misdeeds.

IMHO that "de facto proof you are working" depends also on the language school, you are attending. - In case, it is one of the infamous ones, eg. the one starting with "W", I assume you are right. However, if one selects one of those institutions, whose primary interest is not to get as many paying students as possible via ED Visa, but primarily to teach Thai, it is for sure different. ( Institutions like CMU, Payap, AUA, ... come to mind.)

However, I admit, this more than unlikely an alternative for the OP as she intends to work in Thailand: "I like cities, big cities that gives you opportunity to build of future and make money."

... I am sure, the next (and maybe, this time definitive) crackdown on the "co-working" spaces will come. Just too many "digital nomads" abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand with limited spending.

ID: 54   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Woring? Do you mean whoring or working? :cheesy:

:sorry: Couldn't help it.

Not necessarily funny, the IO might assume both versions....

From what I have seen on numerous occasions - in Singapore you could be sure about that,  if presenting such a visa history.

Edited by BernieOnTour

12 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

IMHO that "de facto proof you are working" depends also on the language school, you are attending. - In case, it is one of the infamous ones, eg. the one starting with "W", I assume you are right. However, if one selects one of those institutions, whose primary interest is not to get as many paying students as possible via ED Visa, but primarily to teach Thai, it is for sure different. ( Institutions like CMU, Payap, AUA, ... come to mind.)

However, I admit, this more than unlikely an alternative for the OP as she intends to work in Thailand: "I like cities, big cities that gives you opportunity to build of future and make money."

... I am sure, the next (and maybe, this time definitive) crackdown on the "co-working" spaces will come. Just too many "digital nomads" abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand with limited spending.

If a major university - you get a 1-year extension, and no hassles from the Immigration-Office, from what I understand.  I don't know if the border-IOs would know the difference, if one made a trip-out - maybe they do.  But you make an important point - a "real university" is treated differently than a "language school."

I've never understood the "coworking space" idea.  A large monitor to connect to a laptop is cheap.  Internet is widely available (best in condos).  These "spaces" seem more like a social thing.  As to what they spend, if they are beginners working cheap, I would guess 4 Thai salaries of foreign sourced funds injected into the economy.  But those people probably wouldn't pay for a special "space" to work.  Most "co-worker" paying-types likely earn more. 

Assuming the authorities did a crack-down, the only beneficiaries would be Cambodia, Vietnam, and The Philippines - with Thais taking the equivalent loss.  There is no "downside" to people who don't qualify for any benefits/welfare from the government spending foreign-capital into your economy, purchasing goods and services from your citizens.

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

I am sure, the next (and maybe, this time definitive) crackdown on the "co-working" spaces will come. Just too many "digital nomads" abusing the system and working illegally in Thailand with limited spending.

I do not think the Thai authorities have any interest in cracking down on true digital nomads. Other than racism, there is absolutely no incentive to do so. Trying to find those carrying out business in Thailand, and excluding those, if they can find a way of doing it, is different. That might happen.

2 people like this

Just a point, because it may help, the Royal Thai Embassy in London state that travellers cheques or cash equivalent to 10,000bt ONLY are required per person, and 20,000bt per family for a Tourist Visa Exemption entry.

Tourist Visa Exemption

Passport holders of the countries listed for visa exemption are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints, which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption category may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6 month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must show the documents below at the port of entry: 

• Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family.
  • Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

1 person likes this

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

How did you make the leap to co-working spaces from the OP's comments? Got a little bee in your bonnet about digital nomads? If I'm on holiday in a foreign country and contemplating the possibility of working there in the future, that doesn't make me a criminal or a digital nomad. A little less self-righteousness and a little more sharing of knowledge would make this forum a much nicer and more useful place to spend time online.

Also, if I recall correctly, there's absolutely no mention of what school you are attending on the ED visa stamp in your passport so it's completely irrelevant as far as exiting and entering the country is concerned. It might make a difference when applying for an extension at one's local immigration office but the point you were responding to specifically stated "checkpoint-IOs" so it clearly wasn't related to extensions.

Edited by Mark123456

So what should we do guys? 

Better to get out and come back and 30 days exemption (and maybe another extension) 

or get a visa in Laos? 

Of course we'll have all the documents they might ask for in both situations (flight back, bank statement...) 

10 minutes ago, Darafarangset said:

Better to get out and come back and 30 days exemption (and maybe another extension) 

or get a visa in Laos? 

Of course we'll have all the documents they might ask for in both situations (flight back, bank statement...) 

I think it would be best to get a tourist visa since you plan on staying 2 months or more here.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Darafarangset said:

or get a visa in Laos? 

If it were me, I'd get the tourist visa and not speak Thai / Laos when going through Thai immigration. I only say that because you thought your other nationality may have caused problems last time. If you think they will know from your appearance then just disregard that advice. Either way, I hope everything goes well for you and you have a safe trip :)