webfact

Siam Piwat lays out strategies for keeping shopping centres 

52 posts in this topic

Just now, newnative said:

I was just reading an article on Yahoo about store closings in the USA and I'm thinking, gee these figures sound familiar. Turns out, the Credit Suisse report you posted about above was for store closings in the USA, not Thailand.  Phew!  Nice if you had mentioned that!  Guess here in Thailand we can continue to congregate under a tree for awhile longer.

No my comparison was that it will be a world wide problem including Thailand in general in the not to distant future as Amazon delivery drones buzz around overhead and most of your wants and needs are a button click away. Thailand talks of a 4.0 economy. A small example is my g/f bought new bath towels she did not go to Tesco or Big C just clicked on Lazada selected the item and click. Investments in malls is not like putting 10 bahts in a street corner phone for a 2 minute conversation. Much planning detail financing goes into one with a reasonable expectation of couple decades of return of capital. In this fast moving world nothing is safe from becoming obsolete before its time including you and I. Stand under a tree during a lightening storm at your peril.  Resist wearing your tinfoil hat. 

43 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

No my comparison was that it will be a world wide problem including Thailand in general in the not to distant future as Amazon delivery drones buzz around overhead and most of your wants and needs are a button click away. Thailand talks of a 4.0 economy. A small example is my g/f bought new bath towels she did not go to Tesco or Big C just clicked on Lazada selected the item and click. Investments in malls is not like putting 10 bahts in a street corner phone for a 2 minute conversation. Much planning detail financing goes into one with a reasonable expectation of couple decades of return of capital. In this fast moving world nothing is safe from becoming obsolete before its time including you and I. Stand under a tree during a lightening storm at your peril.  Resist wearing your tinfoil hat. 

There's no doubt that retail is evolving and more shopping will be done on-line.  But, I don't think e-commerce will completely take over.  For many things, I prefer to shop in person and I don't think I am alone in that.  Using your bath towels example, I would likely never purchase them on-line, given a choice, as I like to see the quality and detail, feel the thickness nd texture, see the actual color, and compare them on the spot with what else is available and at what price.  It's the same for many other products.  Shopping in stores is a chore for some but for others it's a fun, enjoyable experience. 

1 person likes this