tropico

Songtaew drivers complain again against Uber

53 posts in this topic

A delegation of songtaew drivers went to complain again against Uber and grab taxi because it seems that, since these services have started, songtaew drivers have seen less profits. I understand their issue since there is no law regulating such services but the law itself need a reform because it is outdated. 

Beside this, I think that these services have brought finally a choice and people can decide what to use instead than the usual songtaews. I personally like the service that Uber offer and I did use them instead of other services. I also think that somebody might still need songtaews but there a bit too many around and their service should be regulated as well. Instead of 2500 of them perhaps just 500 might be enough. However the way it works now I think there is no limit in the number of these "cars". Beside making the traffic worse, polluting and often requesting unreasonable fares, they are outdated and I feel hat the city needs a proper public transportation that works!

I'd like to start a petition myself for removing unnecessary songtaews and have them regulated as well. Got to improve and go farward for improving viability and reduce pollution.

Not saying this is the only problem on the road but should start from somewhere!!

2 people like this

Get your ass down to City Hall and get on it. No petition needed or available.

I doubt any songtaew driver is complaining.  I don't know what the prices are in CNX, but in Hua Hin its 10 baht a ride before 7 pm and 15 baht after 7 pm.  This is hardly in the same league as Uber.  

1 person likes this

Yeah this in Chiang mai it's more expensive then that for sure for the red ones anyway .

Couple of red Songteaws we saw in CM yesterday had 30 baht fare signs (in Thai) on the sides

2 people like this

Yes red Songteaws do carry more people and they also double park in narrow sois while they are either getting paid for the trip taken or negotiating a new one.

They just obviously contribute to CM's traffic woes out of weak time you wil see them parked in droves, sleeping ,waiting for the PM peak time

Like all vehicles,they are supposed to pass a yearly test for exhaust emmision which is now quite strict. Funny how there are so many belching black smoke that doesnt happen overnight

Out of town they are currently a necessity. In the old city they are a pain in the butt but have successfullly ruled the roost for a long time.

Maybe Songtaew Organisation should check first her own opaque business practice. Price indication only in Thai isn't very kind for Tourists. It smells like cheating. Specially in CM.

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Time for the songtaew drivers to wake up and smell the coffee.  Uber and Grab are only part of a trend toward using technology to improve services.  People can either get on board or be left behind. 

Yes, Uber and Grab are part of Thailand 4.0.

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Maybe Songtaew Organisation should check first her own opaque business practice. Price indication only in Thai isn't very kind for Tourists. It smells like cheating. Specially in CM.

From what I saw pricing is in both Thai and English however i overheard a driver last week quoting three Japan ladies a fare of 100Bt each to go from maya to Thaepae gate. 

11 hours ago, tropico said:

songtaew drivers have seen less profits

From what I have seen it will be even less still. They picked a great time to paint the new rate on the side of their trucks 30 bahts per passenger up from 20 here in Chiang Mai. Would be acceptable if an attitude change went along with the increase but I highly doubt it. Uber for me. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I doubt any songtaew driver is complaining.  I don't know what the prices are in CNX, but in Hua Hin its 10 baht a ride before 7 pm and 15 baht after 7 pm.  This is hardly in the same league as Uber.  

Read my post 16 you guys are lucky. 

7 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Couple of red Songteaws we saw in CM yesterday had 30 baht fare signs (in Thai) on the sides

They picked a bad time to push the envelope. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, alant said:

Songtaews and tuk tuks may lurk about city areas but if you live 6km out getting one is difficult. They are not contactable like grab and uber so don't help themselves. 

Thats the problem they only want to help themselves. When you don't want one they follow you beeping the horn. When you want one they are not going in that direction well I know what direction I would like them to go