tropico

Songtaew drivers complain again against Uber

53 posts in this topic

I agree with what you have said about the tuck tucks and songtaews. 

But, my experience with Uber taxis have been bad.  I used them 4 times and 3 times were very bad.

1st.  Ordered on.. waited.. arrived on time, got in.. then the driver basically told us to get out because he did not want to take us to our destination as it was too far.... pretended he did not speak any English...and even through I can speak good Thai, he still refused and we had to get out onto the hot street and call another one.

2nd.  Another one arrived.... late, got in, agreed price and destination.  After about 10 minutes in heavy rush hour traffic she starts huffing, sighing, puffing and generally acting annoyed.  Keeps muttering loudly that its too far, not make any money, too far,, huff, huff.  She is very unfriendly and nasty atmosphere in the Taxi as she gets really mad in the traffic.  Then says she thinks she can not take us.  Says there are songtaews at a market we pass and stops the car.  Basically refusing to take us anymore.. we have to pay her full... even though we are far form our house.. and get out and get a songetaew.

3rd.  Taking a friend to the airport.  Outside his condo.  Call Uber Taxi... against my advise.  On phone shows time to pick up is 10 mins.  Waiting and waiting.. on the location screen we can see the taxi in our area driving around and around in circles... even though the streets are quiet and its a very easy area to find your way about.  Still waiting in anther 20 minutes.. still see taxi driving in circles.  Then we have to walk about 20 mins to Big C to get a songtaew to the airport.. and that drives so slow we nearly miss check in time.

4th time.  Got one back from the airport to friends condo.  All good. 

So in my experience they are not reliable, can have rude and a bit frightening drivers too.

Probably in the city itself from A to B will be OK, but then you are paying more than you would in a songtaew so I don't see the point, apart form having some air conditioning in the taxi. 

Of course, you contacted Uber and got 3 refunds.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Anyway, my untech-savvy wife loves Uber and it's not let her down yet.

Songtaews and tuk-tuks have had their day, especially tuk-tuks which should be banned as they are totally unsuitable for modern roads.

Power to the people!

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Of course, you contacted Uber and got 3 refunds.

No I did not.  How will they refund me.. when I paid in cash?  Also I can not get 3 refunds, because if you read my post.. I did not get to ride I 2 of them at all! 

No I did not.  How will they refund me.. when I paid in cash?  Also I can not get 3 refunds, because if you read my post.. I did not get to ride I 2 of them at all! 

Sorry, I stopped reading when I realised you'd rather be a victim than getting simple justice.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

ID: 50   Posted

The old is being phased out and the new is taking over. They will get over it.

ID: 51   Posted

On 30/04/2017 at 9:16 AM, jak2002003 said:

Not sure how it works in Bangkok, but here the price is paid in cash not a credit card.

You are a tuk tuk driver, right? 

From your replies, it seems that IQ would be around that level. I'm in CM at the moment, used Uber five times in the past two days. Excellent service and paid by card.

2 people like this

ID: 52   Posted (edited)

On 4/30/2017 at 9:16 AM, jak2002003 said:

The woman was actually getting quite scary.. and we were made to feel really uncomfortable... I thought she was going to flip out of have some kind of nervous breakdown.

Not sure how it works in Bangkok, but here the price is paid in cash not a credit card.

We did not pay the driver the full amount (sorry should have said), just what we thought was right for how far she had too us.

After the 3 bad experiences in a row, that is why I am reluctant to use them again. 

I am not sure if I believe your story . 

I have been taking UBER in Bangkok , Pattaya and Chiang Mai , now around 60 rides. Not once have they refused a trip, , not once and they always follow the GPS map ,  And I only use a Thai bank card as payment method , the money is deducted from my Kasikorn account automatically .  

I think you are just trying to fabricate a story here and send out negative signals about UBER. God knows why. 

Edited by balo
1 person likes this

ID: 53   Posted

On 4/27/2017 at 6:59 PM, jak2002003 said:

You must be doing something wrong.  I use them almost daily and the price for anywhere in the city is 20 baht. 

If there is no one else on it.. so its like a private one, then I will pay more... up to 40 baht.

When I got the yellow or green ones out of the city, the price is always about 14 - 16 baht.

May I side track a bit? Where to get on a yellow or green songtaew? Where do they go?