Genericnic

ATM fees on the rise

139 posts in this topic

Well out friends at Krungsri Bank (the yellow one) have decided it is time to pay for another swimming pool. Used the ATM near the Shangri-La Hotel today and the fee has now gone up to 220 baht, a 10% increase since I last used it. Don't know if that increase is just for Krungsri or all banks but my bet is on all of them. Amazes me what they charge when you can do an ATM withdrawal anywhere in Japan for free. 

David

17 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Guess it has been longer since I used the ATM than I thought. Still a nice example of greed though.

David

Not sure where your from but you must have a fee exempt from your home land as that is nothing if your home country is usually charging as well

2 people like this

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Been 220 baht for a while now at all banks for foreign ATM card transactions.

Except for the Bank of China .. the new CM branch is in Chiang Mai business park behind Big C

Accepts Mastercard and Union Pay

Not news.

First thread I find is from January.

David,

Which no fees Capital One credit cards do you have?  

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Many of those cards have fees so rather than reading through the details on 12+ cards I asked.  David said he had a card with no fees which is of interest.

The fees help pay for the Thai Banks Non-Performing loans. Many homeowners are months and years past due

and the banks never foreclose on them. They just renew the loans after making a couple of payments. One day

they'll have to look at home value compared to loan balance. Many of the loans are upside down.

1 person likes this

AEON still charges 150 baht for withdrawals from foreign banks.  Unfortunately AEON ATM's are few and far between, and long lines form at them at the beginning and end of months.

2 people like this

This must help the tourist industry no end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Withdraw money over the counter at banks, to avoid ATM fees

1 person likes this

Most Big C's have an Aeon, use them as often as you can or change inside banks.

1 person likes this

On 21/04/2017 at 8:42 PM, Mickeem said:

Except for the Bank of China .. the new CM branch is in Chiang Mai business park behind Big C

Accepts Mastercard and Union Pay

Which Big C do you mean...Super Highway, Mae Hia 1 or Hang Dong/Sanpatong 2 ?

Use online transfer instead via a third party. I use Transferwise which gives an excellent rate (much better than the banks or visa) and charges very little. Its peer-to-peer, they take advantage of people moving money in different directions.  (my last transfer of GBP330 cost about 3 quid).

And if you click this link, your first transfer up to GBP500 will be with no charge.

1 person likes this

I have two different credit union accounts...neither would allow me to link with Bangkok Bank New York.  But,  I use my Thai bank for ATM, I can use any Thai Bank nationwide and not pay a fee...unlimited times per month.  And get 1.5% APR, paid monthly...free card, free first year...then 100 THB per year.  More and more banks rely on fees for profit...the old model of loaning money out at higher rates paid to depositors has been on hold for years.  Many are simply too lazy to fill out the paperwork, now required.  GMAC is in far worse shape than the Thai Banks.  Not news to most, but their cars lose ha!f their value in two years while the balance is only 20% less...or worse.  Try comparing that to real estate in Thailand.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

On 04/22/2017 at 11:33 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

But,  I use my Thai bank for ATM, I can use any Thai Bank nationwide and not pay a fee...unlimited times per month.  And get 1.5% APR, paid monthly...free card, free first year...then 100 THB per year. 

You have thrown in several items in your post.

Can you clarify the above?

Do you mean you have an account with a Thai bank that allows you to use their ATM card anywhere in Thailand without any fees? Withdrawals, at ATMs or counter with no fee even outside your base area?

If so which bank and what type of account.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, Wandr said:

You have thrown in several items in your post.

Can you clarify the above?

Do you mean you have an account with a Thai bank that allows you to use their ATM card anywhere in Thailand without any fees? Withdrawals, at ATMs or counter with no fee even outside your base area?

If so which bank and what type of account.

Thanks.

CIMB SPEED SAVINGS PREFERRED......Visa debit card...no interbank fee no inter province fees...unlimited, at ATM.  most banks take 50 THB for a counter withdrawal, but since it isn't itemized, many think it is free; it is not.  Get 20000...you actually get the visa rate for 20050 in your currency on your statement, and are handed 20000.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:30 PM, heybruce said:

AEON still charges 150 baht for withdrawals from foreign banks.  Unfortunately AEON ATM's are few and far between, and long lines form at them at the beginning and end of months.

curious to hear about some real world up to date on this.  late time I tried using at Airport Central, the ATM indicated a fee of 180 baht.  That was back when every other bank was charging 180 baht.  
Has it gone down?