rooster59

Thai driving standards: Will raising training from five hours to 15 make any difference?

The whole system is wrong...

If driving schools are going to be the examiners as well then i would propose that the students have a log book, the process of learning to drive be modularized, so say starting a car is Exercise 1, (Checking Oil, lights, loads secure, all door closed, adjusting seats, mirrors, checking passengers and self strapped, starting the engine), then Exercise 2,  moving forward and Stopping, and have 15 or so exercises to be completed.

Can not progress to the next exerciser without being signed off on the currant exercise, and if the instructor feels that a driver is making errors covered by a previous exercise then the may well be made to redo that exercise.  

But the real issue is regulating the process to ensure there is no corruption, probably take some time to retrain driving instructors to teach properly.

Next stage is to start to give drivers points for bad driving, so many point in so many years and they will have to retake the test, this could be used to real in the drivers who bought their licence under the counter.

Edited by Basil B

Am I missing the point as there is no clarity for a farlang not fully knowing Thai driver licence requirements here for me to respond? 5hrs to 15hours is that theory hours on road rules or practical hours actually driving a car with a fully licensed driver or both? Further  a $240 AU (6,000 Bah) charge seems very excessive based on Thai living standards? What's the charge now for 5hrs theoretical and practical training?

30 minutes ago, hobz said:

For jebus sake, we live in the future! Put up cameras everywhere! They would pay for themselves and have Massive return of investment.

Hire 100000 (hundred thousand) people to monitor the cameras and administer tickets. Give them minimum wage + a cut of each ticket, with quotas for each type of ticket/violation. The surplus money can be used for buying more submarines and tanks for awesome mr prayuth. 

I know, i know, some of you dont want to live in a nanny state and you are crying and you are shaking out of anger when you read my post. Its ok.

Im just saying, if you want to fix thai driving this is the most effective. Ofcourse it will be boring to drive. Lol.

You can thank me later.

the police already get a cut from every ticket they write, which is why they go after the easiest targets for the most money and it has absolutely nothing to do with keeping the public safe.

Everybody knows the number of police check points blooms at the end of every month when people are getting paid. Why do the Thai people who pay these people through their taxes put up with it?

The only time you see a Thai is a hurry is when they behind the steering wheel or on their bikes.
It takes way more than 15 hours to train the culture out of them.

It will help, more better, coupled with road rule enforcement, larger fines and impoundment of vehicle  and loss of license for repeat offenders. 

21 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Am I missing the point as there is no clarity for a farlang not fully knowing Thai driver licence requirements here for me to respond? 5hrs to 15hours is that theory hours on road rules or practical hours actually driving a car with a fully licensed driver or both? Further  a $240 AU (6,000 Bah) charge seems very excessive based on Thai living standards? What's the charge now for 5hrs theoretical and practical training?

I assume from the response being Nil to my question noto one  Farlang here or Thai really know themselves but just give a general responses as to a solution based on a non detailed heading waffle waffle waffle!

where to start. get the instructors  up to speed they obviously don`t have a clue, I think 1 month minimum before driving solo and most of what has  been posted and IMHO it will take at least 2 generations to get near acceptable driving habits .

59 minutes ago, wvavin said:

It's not the hours that caused accidents, it's the brains!

Most brains here better wired than urs imho.

5 hours, 15 hours, 100 hours - who cares? Without law enforcement drivers have no reason to drive in a safe manner.

Why is it that there are 8 yo drivers driving their younger siblings down the wrong side of the road? Why aren't helmet laws enforced? Why don't the lights work on so many vehicles? How can people drive at high speeds all day with no penalty? Why is swerving and lane splitting acceptable driving technique?

Ad infinitum...

Thai officials talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It isn't just about the training, it is also about the me, me and me attitude. Until that is all but eradicated, and people start driving within the letter of the law then nothing will change. 

Very well indeed! ...and this can't be tought in 10 hours to people who never learned to "think".  So it all should start at school and during the educational process.  But if 10 year old children are allowed to race on motorcycles without helmets...it will be difficult to change their attitude 10 years later...

• Like 1

I say  make the extra 10 hours for video watching of bloody bodies, mothers and father' crying, boyfriends, Gfs, wives and husbands attending funerals, seeing injuries, handicapped people as a result of accidents, telling their stories. Heck! Hook a lie detector test to see if they are reacting emotionally. Test them before and after to see if they have learned anything. Ask them to write a fictitious letter to a fictitious person who they have fictitiously injured. And show all this at schools round the clock until they are sick of it. Ask them to rate 10 anti-drinking and driving ads from 1 to 10 in terms of effectiveness and/or create one..Are there any anti-drinking and driving ads in LOS?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
  • Like 2

An extra 10 hours couldn't hurt.  I would hope that in those 10 hours that they explain the reason that they paint the lines on the road.