rooster59

Video: "Negligent" foreign tourist on big bike slams into Thais

80 posts in this topic

ID: 17   Posted (edited)

Yellow lines are all over Samui but I often have little choice but to cross them in order to overtake Sunday drivers who pull out without looking & then drive far slower than the conditions allow while hogging both lanes.

Back to this clip; I have almost identical dashcam footage showing a very near miss a couple of years ago where the clown in my lane missed a speeding bike in the other direction by a whisker.....

I capture the ol' blind bend routine every day😠

Edited by evadgib
1 person likes this

I hope this pencil pointing doesn't replace the fingers.

Totally annoying.

2 people like this

He would have come off sooner, if he had gone into the sand at the side of the road when he was undertaking. These 'big bikes' are the work of the devil. Maybe they can be ridden in Germany with some safety, but they are not for Thailand.

^ All of secondary importance.

Primary importance when concluding fault is that one of them was a foreigner. 

2 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

^ All of secondary importance.

Primary importance when concluding fault is that one of them was a foreigner. 

Are you actually sat on a bar-stool right now as you wrote that?... or did you just hear it from someone while in a beer bar ?.... 

This 'bar-stool' myth is perpetually peddled by the inexperienced... live here for a while and you will soon see that we are treated with exactly the same indifference Thai's treat each other... 

The foreigner is not automatically deemed at fault...  but an inexperienced and naive foreigner may be lead to believe so... In the majority of cases the path of least resistance is taken... 

i.e. the foreigner is paranoid and accepts blame too easily when the BiB allocate blame much in the same way they do when dealing with a Thai on Thai event... that is: blame is generally proportioned to whomever appears more readily able to afford the damages...   Until of course one party or the other decides to standup for themselves or be stubborn and refuse to accept blame, in which case the BiB usually deal with the facts and proportion blame or simply allocate a compromising 50:50.... 

Of course, there are a number of stories otherwise, however, in aggregate we are dealt with fairly or as fairly as any other member of society (Thai) is dealt with. 

2 people like this

ID: 27   Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police urged all rental shops on the island to only rent bikes to people with licenses and to insist on helmet wearing.

Terrible accident true but can people see the irony in the above statement. To insist on wearing a helmet gee hop on the back of the bike behind him and watch him at all times. Mr. Policeman person come to Chiang Mai you would clean up enough in one day on helmet infractions in one day to retire. Unfortunately it would take a little work on your part. 

Edited by elgordo38
1 person likes this

ID: 28   Posted (edited)

Clearly bad driving. Undertaking (and at speed) then overtaking without due care. But don't be quite so quick to judge. Look closely, he never actually crosses the line, it's the "victim" vehicle that is stopped straddling it and actually sticking its nose into oncoming traffic, and on an unsighted bend. Plus it's a solid line and so should never be crossed at all (not that that matters in this country both with driving style and poor road design).

And if they're going to talk about helmets they should mention that the "victims" weren't wearing any either.

Like every case here in the real world blame can be assigned in some proportion on both sides.  In this case it's a lot more on the big bike though.

Personally I care more about why everyone has to be so blythely racist. It doesn't matter in the slightest that the rider was Caucasian (I despise that word Fa**ng) and it shouldn't either to the racist posters in this forum nor to the racist commentator in the video pointing out the "Fa**ng" (an object not a person [Thai language]) with his pencil as if his ethnicity is a salient point in the investigation, before pointing out himself casually walking over for a closer look at the gore (he even explains he's going in for a closer look).

These accidents happen everyday all across this country. Reducing them is a big challenge for the Kingdom and one that will require action on many fronts, but falling back on racial stereotypes is not one of them.

Edited by Captain Jack
2 people like this

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Right up the arse of the car. Pulls out to overtake around a corner at speed. Note yellow line. No overtaking. See it all the time. Really bad. No bikesmanship at all just point an go

I agree that the accident is 100% the fault of the motorcycle driver.

I'm not sure about the yellow line, though. Does it really mean "no overtaking", or does it mean "no passing over the line"?

Negligent was putting very politely..