Thailand Forum
rooster59

Video: "Negligent" foreign tourist on big bike slams into Thais

55Jay    3,893

Not a very mature, competent bike rider.  Bike riding anywhere, but especially here, is totally defensive.  I only ride a small motorbike, around the immediate neighborhood area, small sois.   Any further, out on the main roads/highway, I take the truck.

• Like 2

Pedro 58    1

It's true that he, 

1. Should have had a helmet on, and

2. Shouldn't have done the under take, however,

if you look at the video, he was on his side of the road and as such was in the right, although in Thailand he would've been in the wrong. 

• Like 1

55Jay    3,893
10 minutes ago, Pedro 58 said:

It's true that he, 

if you look at the video, he was on his side of the road and as such was in the right, although in Thailand he would've been in the wrong. 

The bike he hit was on the correct side of the road as well, waiting for oncoming traffic to clear before turning right. 

He is demonstrating careless riding habits that are all too common here.  He was doing great, cocky, confident....right up until he slammed into a stationary object. 

I learned and practiced the "3 E's" in traffic/roadway management many years ago.  1. Engineering 2. Education 3. Enforcement. 

All 3 are woefully inadequate here, which is why Thailand has a dismal international reputation for road accidents.

• Like 2

PETERTHEEATER    567

The surprising thing, to me, is that the motorcyclist waiting to turn right was on the crown of the road (correct) whereas most motorcyclists that I see sit in their lane on the shoulder looking both ways to wait for a safe opportunity to turn because even they know that taking position on the crown of the road and signalling their intent to turn is more dangerous. 

• Like 2

sanukjim    1,603
9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Probably doesnt even have a bike licence as you dont need one to hire

So many Europeans coming here on holiday that has never driven even a scooter,renting a large motor bike and either harming themselfs or others in the process of trying to  

mimic Valentino Rossi.

• Like 1

Happy Grumpy    3,691

Of course the blame game isn't only for bikers.

"

Police at the scene tried to twist it into being my fault, with witnesses saying I was one more lane across despite all the mess being clearly on my side of the road. He was too <deleted> to comment at the time.

Thanks to the video the matter was cleared up without issue, my insurer will cover everything (he caused about 100,000 baht of damages) and he'll spend the next few years paying off my insurer. He also got fined 400 baht."

Briggsy    10,804

Very poor riding (almost certainly highly inexperienced) by the "big bike" rider.

Can anyone identify the model of bike?

Briggsy    10,804
12 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Looks like maybe a Honda CB500X.

Certainly a possible. (If that makes sense)

Puccini    259
2 hours ago, Pedro 58 said:

It's true that he, 

Even though he was on his side of the road, he was in the wrong hitting another vehicle in front of him.

Get Real    1,620
12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

He's just trying to fit in.

I can see that you are eager to drag thai people in to the conversation as quick as possibly. 

Just try to understand that this was a foreigner doing the wrong thing, and that it ain´t funny.

MadMuhummad    282
4 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

Clearly bad driving. Undertaking (and at speed) then overtaking without due care. But don't be quite so quick to judge. Look closely, he never actually crosses the line, it's the "victim" vehicle that is stopped straddling it and actually sticking its nose into oncoming traffic, and on an unsighted bend. Plus it's a solid line and so should never be crossed at all (not that that matters in this country both with driving style and poor road design).

And if they're going to talk about helmets they should mention that the "victims" weren't wearing any either.

Like every case here in the real world blame can be assigned in some proportion on both sides.  In this case it's a lot more on the big bike though.

Personally I care more about why everyone has to be so blythely racist. It doesn't matter in the slightest that the rider was Caucasian (I despise that word Fa**ng) and it shouldn't either to the racist posters in this forum nor to the racist commentator in the video pointing out the "Fa**ng" (an object not a person [Thai language]) with his pencil as if his ethnicity is a salient point in the investigation, before pointing out himself casually walking over for a closer look at the gore (he even explains he's going in for a closer look).

These accidents happen everyday all across this country. Reducing them is a big challenge for the Kingdom and one that will require action on many fronts, but falling back on racial stereotypes is not one of them.

Is the law of not turning on a solid white line a thai law or a law from your home country?

i realise you cannot overtake on solid lines but I'm having trouble finding anything specifically stating you can not turn.

55Jay    3,893
36 minutes ago, MadMuhummad said:

Is the law of not turning on a solid white line a thai law or a law from your home country?

i realise you cannot overtake on solid lines but I'm having trouble finding anything specifically stating you can not turn.

It's an old site, and can be wonky due to translation, but this is what I found.  Section 51 pertains to left/right turns. 

http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/traffic-laws-in-thailand-a-translation-from-www-bkkriders-com.9367/

• Like 1