Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
SWINGtech

First time in Bangkok

Recommended Posts

On 02/05/2017 at 4:24 PM, lungnorm said:

Newbie's should all taste Sukhumvit.

I'll leave it for the newbies to lick & taste Sukhumvit Rd. There's no way I'd be putting my tongue on that filthy road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Typical sex-pat answer. You certainly will not be in lower Sukhumvit every night unless you enjoy the company of losers (not all mind) and prostitutes.  With the exception of Cheap Charlie's (which I think is now closed or due to close) there isn't a single good bar in lower Sukhmuvit.

You talk about "losers" in lower Suk but then you say "with the exeception of Cheap Charlie's" lol....if anything, the crowd that used to go to that absolute shithole of a "bar" are a bunch of losers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

You talk about "losers" in lower Suk but then you say "with the exeception of Cheap Charlie's" lol....if anything, the crowd that used to go to that absolute shithole of a "bar" are a bunch of losers.

Really? Compared with the pond life that frequent Nana and Cowboy? Not to mention all the other seedy dives and bars there.  At least at Charlie's there was a more diverse mix of people as well as plenty of restaurants on the same soi.  Charlie's has actually got a number of write-ups in western travel mags/sites as being a good spot for a drink due to the unusual nature of the bar itself.  But I guess they must all be wrong.  Sex-pats are so sensitive about be called out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

At least at Charlie's there was a more diverse mix of people as well as plenty of restaurants on the same soi.  Charlie's has actually got a number of write-ups in western travel mags/sites as being a good spot for a drink due to the unusual nature of the bar itself.

Sure,  it was an unusual type of bar, the type of unusual shithole of a bar. Standing up in a tiny space on the street inside the tiny roped area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I hear that all the time.  "I never pay for sex".  I know many guys in BKK who make this claim and sure, they are not hitting up Nana car lot.  But the majority of them have Thai girls living with them paying 30-40,000 + per month.  OK, sure, that is for the intense meaningful conversation they have?

In the end especially here, most ex-pats are paying for it one way or another but some seem to want to try to justify it in their minds.

Then, there are those with sexless lives. God bless you, but sounds sad....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh, I hear that all the time.  "I never pay for sex".  I know many guys in BKK who make this claim and sure, they are not hitting up Nana car lot.  But the majority of them have Thai girls living with them paying 30-40,000 + per month

Those peeps are in denial or maybe they're not paying for sex because they are not getting any but just giving away their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for first time visitors, silom has lumphini park and patpong.  plus not far from river if you plan to take a boat somewhere.  i love roadhouse BBQ.  i would rather (and do) live on sukhumvit but silom has some attraction for visitors.  having the sidewalks somewhat clear these days makes a big difference, so nice to be able to walk along silom and sukhumvit and not have to walk in the street to get around crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh, I hear that all the time.  "I never pay for sex".  I know many guys in BKK who make this claim and sure, they are not hitting up Nana car lot.  But the majority of them have Thai girls living with them paying 30-40,000 + per month.  OK, sure, that is for the intense meaningful conversation they have?

In the end especially here, most ex-pats are paying for it one way or another but some seem to want to try to justify it in their minds.

Then, there are those with sexless lives. God bless you, but sounds sad....

What is sad is that all sex-pats can't get their head around the fact that other western males here aren't the same as them. I had one American guy once express surprise that I didn't shag hookers, and actually asked me if it was cause I was gay!  His tiny brain just couldn't take in the information.  And for the record, my girlfriend is Canadian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

With the exception of Cheap Charlie's (which I think is now closed or due to close) there isn't a single good bar in lower Sukhmuvit. They only good ones are up around Tong Lor/Ekamai. 

Cheap Charlie's was a shithole.

If you needed someone to hand out leaflets, do phone surveys or a few white faces for your street canvassing operation, you'd always find a steady stream of last chancers, TEFLers and other donkeys looking for ways to supplement their finances in order to extend their S.E.Asia doss-a-thon.

There's a few decent bars around lower Sukhumvit including the highly successful Oskar on soi 11 and Above 11 at the top of the Fraser Suites.

People who liked Cheap Charlie's would probably call these places "poncey" or "pretentious" because the prices make them feel inadequate.

Can't see why - drinks are perfectly reasonably priced and alcohol measures are generous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

 

Cheap Charlie's was a shithole.

If you needed someone to hand out leaflets, do phone surveys or a few white faces for your street canvassing operation, you'd always find a steady stream of last chancers, TEFLers and other donkeys looking for ways to supplement their finances in order to extend their S.E.Asia doss-a-thon.

There's a few decent bars around lower Sukhumvit including the highly successful Oskar on soi 11 and Above 11 at the top of the Fraser Suites.

People who liked Cheap Charlie's would probably call these places "poncey" or "pretentious" because the prices make them feel inadequate.

Can't see why - drinks are perfectly reasonably priced and alcohol measures are generous.

I've never tried Oskar, perhaps I ought to, but I think there a far nicer places than above that also have the advantage of not being in a dumpy area like lower Sukumvit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never tried Oskar, perhaps I ought to, but I think there a far nicer places than above that also have the advantage of not being in a dumpy area like lower Sukumvit.

What's dumpy about it? Tons of bars and restaurants plus adult entertainment

It's the heart of the tourist area . Millions keep coming back. They would fall over laughing if you pointed them to ekamia. The only thing going for it Is the major bus terminal to get you OUT of the place

 

Went there for a look once and was bored In under 1 hour

 

I would strongly advise any one coming to bangkok to NOT go there. Think of the place like an outer suburb in your home country...boring and nothing to do at all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:


What's dumpy about it? Tons of bars and restaurants plus adult entertainment
It's the heart of the tourist area . Millions keep coming back. They would fall over laughing if you pointed them to ekamia

Went there for a look once and was bored In under 1 hour

I would strongly advise any one coming to bangkok to NOT go there. Think of the place like an outer suburb in your home country...boring and nothing to do at all.

Tons of shit bars, tons of hookers and tons sex tourists/pats . Yep, a real treat When I mentioned Ekamai I did so in the context of Sukumvit road itself.  Personally, I rarely go to Ekamai or Tong Lor cause I live in Silom/Sathon area and am basically too lazy and don't like either enough to bother. I tend to go out around my own area or a long the river or sometimes China Town due to some of the new places that haven't up there over the past two years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

 

Shit bars?

Dude your favorite bar was cheap Charlie's

Oh the irony lol

 

You are not qualified to comment based on your love for that dump.

 

You must be the only person in lower Sukhumvit who couldn't find a nice bar all the way from soi 33 to soi 4 (there are hundreds) and every one a dump. That's just plain weird

 

 

 

I don't love Charlie's. In fact, I haven't been there in years but on the  odd occasion I would find myself in lower Suk I preferred sitting there than any of the other places in the immediate vicinity.  I guess we disagree on what constitutes a good bar. This may come as a surprise to you but I'm not the only foreigner working in BKK that that thinks lower Suk is shit and finds paying someone to shag you is a turn off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

I've never tried Oskar, perhaps I ought to, but I think there a far nicer places than above that also have the advantage of not being in a dumpy area like lower Sukumvit.

If lower Sukumvit is dumpy, the rest of Thailand isn't any better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 25 November 2017 10:48
Sponsors
×