Jump to content
Thailand Forum
BaanOz

Using Credit Card Travel Insurance?

Recommended Posts

BaanOz    9

Hi, we are planing much longer stays in Thailand.

 

Bit concerned at the cost of health insurance and wondering if using my card travel insurance is even worth considering.

The idea is to return back to Australia every year and this credit card covers travel for 12 months at a time. The Commbank insurance basic info is HERE.

 

The Product Disclosure Statement is there too and wondering if others do this and/or there might be any problems doing this. I'm thinking there might be a problem proving your an Australian resident after doing this a few times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonray    5,350

It could work but you must have the money up front to pay for any incidents. For example, if you need major hospitalization in Thailand, they will not allow you to leave hospital until the bill is paid. Only then can you file a claim for re-reimbursement to your insurance from the card.

 

A major event could cost you a lot of cash up front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BaanOz    9
6 hours ago, tonray said:

A major event could cost you a lot of cash up front.

Thanks tonray,

 

Yep, add that to negatives!
I take it normal health insurance would pay the hospital before checkout or there is some agreement between hospitals/health insurance companies.

Also, I'm thinking it's not a great idea if you find out you have a long term problem ie: not an "emergency". Something like that I suppose (if using this travel insurance), then a trip back to Oz and use Medicare.

 

Well it was worth a thought :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fxe1200    684

...make sure you read the fine print of your card travel insurance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GreasyFingers    270

If you are in Oz try iTrek for insurance, they were reasonably priced when I used them. If you use the CC insurance make sure you have their emergency numbers for here and fill out a claim form with your details and take it with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geisha    371

All credit cards in Europe insure you for a maximum 3 months travel, so Im surprised that Australia have a year long insurance ? Best to have a proper insurance anyway I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rickudon    209

I would read your insurance details very carefully. I can get free insurance from my bank for 12 months, but it doesn't cover a 12 month trip. Usually there is a single trip limit of 4-6 weeks.

 

If going for longer periods, search for 'Long stay travel insurance'. This will cover for a single trip of a duration of up to a year or more. However you usually need to have been resident in the country you buy it from for at least 6 months, so doesn't work on a annual renewable basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony125    473
On 5/2/2017 at 9:52 PM, tonray said:

It could work but you must have the money up front to pay for any incidents. For example, if you need major hospitalization in Thailand, they will not allow you to leave hospital until the bill is paid. Only then can you file a claim for re-reimbursement to your insurance from the card.

 

A major event could cost you a lot of cash up front.

Was told the hospitals say you must remain till bill paid but not true. Had heart attack, I  have US Federal Employee insurance but would not pay till checked services done. Vibhavadi Hospital Bangkok said could not leave till bill paid was om weekend so could not axcess my Bank for 3 days to call for wire  transfer. My well off Thai sis in law paid and I reimbursed the following week when my insurance paid. She was told by family cousin who is high ranking Police Office next time just call local police or tourist police and explain and the hospital must release you. Holding you is kidnapping, they can make a claim against your assets and sue you but  cannot hold you against your will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonray    5,350
4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Was told the hospitals say you must remain till bill paid but not true. Had heart attack, I  have US Federal Employee insurance but would not pay till checked services done. Vibhavadi Hospital Bangkok said could not leave till bill paid was om weekend so could not axcess my Bank for 3 days to call for wire  transfer. My well off Thai sis in law paid and I reimbursed the following week when my insurance paid. She was told by family cousin who is high ranking Police Office next time just call local police or tourist police and explain and the hospital must release you. Holding you is kidnapping, they can make a claim against your assets and sue you but  cannot hold you against your will.

If they initiate a law suit, you will not be able to leave the country until it is settled.  Either way it's pay or stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scubascuba3    732

Often annual travel insurance only covers 60 or 90 days abroad a year. Instead i get backpacker insurance which is just continuous insurance. My last 6 months was £90, a year when i checked was £300-£400 but often you have to be in your home country for the previous 6 months. So you can't do it every year. Read the small print.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ulic    3,278

In Canada credit card insurance covers you for 30 days at a time. Travel insurance is for the most

part a complete scam. Insurance companies do not make a fortune paying claims but denying claims.

It is really important to read the fine print and understand what is covered. Emergency coverage only.

Pre approval of treatment unless you are incapacitated and then ASAP. Pre existing conditions

are not covered. IE. if you have high blood pressure you are not covered for heart attacks or stroke.

(You can still be asked to pay a hefty premium surcharge and are still not covered for the condition)

Use an insurance broker who understands the difference between a pre existing condition controlled

by medication versus one that is not. Insurance forms can be very confusing, even misleading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tony125    473
6 hours ago, tonray said:

If they initiate a law suit, you will not be able to leave the country until it is settled.  Either way it's pay or stay. 

If they initiate a law suit true you may not be able to leave the country but I live here so would not be a problem and as stated my and others insurance would pay the bill after being billed by hospital but would take some time. At least you would not have to be detained at hospital running up more bill for staying there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonray    5,350
1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

If they initiate a law suit true you may not be able to leave the country but I live here so would not be a problem and as stated my and others insurance would pay the bill after being billed by hospital but would take some time. At least you would not have to be detained at hospital running up more bill for staying there.

Yes...but the last thing you want to think about while recovering from a heart attack, stroke, accident, etc etc is calling the police and fighting your way out of the Intensive Care ward. :) 

 

Also if you want to go back to your home country for further treatment after initial stabilization here, now you must wait for lawsuit and insurance funds to settle ? What a joy that would be....

 

Make life easy on your self, buy a local insurance policy instead of gambling with fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ahab    670
3 hours ago, Ulic said:

Travel insurance is for the most part a complete scam. Insurance companies do not make a fortune paying claims but denying claims.

It is really important to read the fine print and understand what is covered. 

Completely agree that most (if not all) travel insurance is a complete rip off.  They make you jump through so many hoops to get a claim that eventually they hope you will just quietly give up and go away, or they just deny the claim based on fine print that no one but lawyers read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scubascuba3    732
Completely agree that most (if not all) travel insurance is a complete rip off.  They make you jump through so many hoops to get a claim that eventually they hope you will just quietly give up and go away, or they just deny the claim based on fine print that no one but lawyers read.

Such as what? What small print was used to deny a claim?

The only dubious part is pre-existing medical conditions. I checked a few quotes last week it asked if i had symptoms within last 2 years. 2 years is ok, others didn't have a cut off so i had asthma as a child may count...not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 24 September 2017 06:43
Sponsors
×