webfact

Somtam slowly killing many Thais, cancer center says

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Been there done that (blame it on alcohol and peer pressure!). Was hell eating it ... but eating it had nothing on excreting it! :shock1:

Based on the noises coming from the bathroom the next day, this guy went through hell and back again as well.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Toilet roll in the freezer is a good idea.

????

Not eating the real hot stuff is a better one...

8 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Well sweating is body's way of cooling down, and remember that most Thai people don't naturally sweat as much as us Farangs.
So there is a certain logo as to why hot countries such as Thailand have a spicy cuisine.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

See last post on chilli. It's an introduced plant to Thailand. Only a few hundred years if that long.

Seems like 16th century to India and a little bit later to other countries in the area.

Edited by overherebc

Recently saw a food&travel show that showed a place around Chiang Mai where pig bile was served.  Even the (farang) host, who will eat anything, balked at that one. 

Not many places in the world where people eat raw or semi-cooked pig products deliberately, as a prepared dish.  Some people figured that one out thousands of years ago.

I've never gotten sick from som tam, I don't think so.  My guess it has something to do with the vinegar sanitizing the rest of the ingredients.

Go to any Thai hospital with a stomach issue and note how long you have to wait. It ain't good, folks; all that dodgy water food, spice, flavourings etc.

15 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

That's absolutely correct. But if you read the history of Thai cooking then you will learn that before chillies were introduced Thais would use ingredients such as fresh peppercorns and various roots like ginger to spice their food. Of course once the chilli arrived, everything would have changed and Thai cooking as we know it today would have evolved.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I did mention previously pepper before they had chilli. 

If you haven't tried it I seriously suggest Kampot pepper. Nice and hot without the lingering burn of chilli and a really nice aroma.

At one time it was almost wiped out in Cambodia because most places that farmed it were French owned and when they were moved out their crops and farms were destroyed.

Coming back now in Cambo' thank goodness.

13 minutes ago, clockman said:

Small amount compared with road deaths. Which seems not to concern anybody?

Treating cancer is expensive...

• Like 1