BANGKOK 18 November 2018 23:07
riorobc023

electricity payment leniency period?

I am required to pay my electricity bill by the 18th of every month. Although i won't be coming back to thailand until a week after its due date.

Will they shut me down? and how long is the leniency period until they do so?

thanks everyone

If you are billed directly by PEA then there is certainly some flexibility built into that due date, we've paid a couple of weeks afterwards without any problems. It's maybe worthwhile setting up a direct debit with your bank so the bills get paid automatically, we do that at Kasikorn for all our utility bills every month and it simplifies things greatly.

• Like 1

You got some pretty good responses in your last thread

• Like 2

No issues with paying late. My electiciry due date is around 21 but I always pay end of the month.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you are billed directly by PEA then there is certainly some flexibility built into that due date, we've paid a couple of weeks afterwards without any problems. It's maybe worthwhile setting up a direct debit with your bank so the bills get paid automatically, we do that at Kasikorn for all our utility bills every month and it simplifies things greatly.

I finally convinced my wife to make all our utilities directly paid through our bank the "same same" as we did in the US. This was only achieved due to our 2 month trip to Geneva. Before that, I always got that "no same same as America" comment. Our car payment is still paid at a different bank because it will one day be paid off, and we did not open an account and, we have a 10 day grace period that comes in handy when my monthly money transfer is delayed. We live in a very rural area and people are just so used to hopping on a motorcycle to pay each bill when it comes in. I don't think that my wife still fully understands that you get your bill before it is due, at least most of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You have 7 days alone to pay it at your local 7 Eleven. After that you can pay at the electricity office. So that should make all ok for you.

I'm using MEA smart application. Can pay by credit card online.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Fact checking. It gets you every time. 

Over here, in Korat, you have 7 days to pay your electricity bill.
After 7 days, a local employee from the PEA will remove your meter and you will need to pay additional for putting the meter back in place.
Better ask a neighbor or someone you can trust to take you electricity bill at the nearest 7/11.

My meter was removed while I was urgently hospitalized.
When I came back home, I could throw my freezer away and nearly 50,000 baht worth of supplies stored in the freezer.
TIT

Dont have that problem we pay the guy who delivers our leccy bill. If we are not in he returns when next passing. If we know we are going to be away at the start of the month when he comes we tell him the month before and give him a couplevof thousand to cover the next bill always but always wevget back whats owed. Exellent system

My bill usually arrives on the 18th, it has to be paid by 27th (if paid at 7/11 etc)  If I forget or am late I can go to the local PEA and pay it for up to about 2 weeks after the 27th, after 2 weeks they will either cut me off and charge 100 Baht to reconnect, or if not cut off, still charge the 100 Baht - That is SW Chiang Mai.

11 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Good suggestion...  when we bought our house it turned out the previous tenants hadn't paid the electricity for 3 months... we had to pay their bill to get it back on again..   a year or so later I forgot to pay it once and it was cut off in short order!... 

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, but they don't all bring their Mothers with them Crossy.

Besides, she told him never to trust strangers.

Just now, dentonian said:

Yeah, but they don't all bring their Mothers with them Crossy.

Besides, she told him never to trust strangers.

True, actually our OP seems to be on his vacation now (out of Thailand) so this is now more "what will I find when I get home?" which is why I didn't close it as a dupe.

I hope he hasn't got a freezer full.

• Like 1

MEA Bangkok has always given me at least two weeks past the date. One month gone most of the time so bill was under 100 baht. Lost it and thought I'll pay it next month.

On way to airport for last minute work trip and stopped at local 7-11 to pay current month plus prior month 100 baht bill.. got  cashier who for whatever reason wouldn't input the bill id-just wanted to scan it which doesn't work when late. Got several excuses, computer won't take payment when late, Can't pay after 3 PM, can't pay on Sunday, etc. So I went to airport and figured I would pay one day late upon return. Got surprise when I returned home, electricity was turned off after 3 pm on day bill was due-day before. They said I was technically 2 months late-that amount was   under 100 B  for first month did not matter. They told me to pay at 7-11 insist they use id number; if I have problem with the staff call their English line and they will talk to staff.

Had to call customer service once after this incident because of same lazy worker at 7-11. MEA talked to store manager and never had a problem again. I now leave couple thousand baht on account at MEA to cover unexpected trips out of country when bill is due.

I can't pay using the MEA online system. The owner has a current online account listed for the address and it won't let me change the password for the account, so I can't get bill in my name or an online account.