Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
rooster59

Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

IMG_1211.png

Taxis in Bangkok will soon be mandated by the state to be installed with global positioning system, closed-circuit TV cameras, and emergency buttons linked directly to the police centre in a total revamp of taxi services offered by the military junta to ensure safe travel by passengers and to probe the image of Thai taxi service.

The compulsory requirement will take immediate effect for newly registered taxis, while old taxis will be given certain period for them to comply with the new ministerial rules and regulations for taxi service.

The revamp of taxi services was agreed upon at a meeting yesterday participated by the National Reform Steering Committee on State Administration, Land Transport Department, Cooperatives Promotion Department, National Council for Peace and Order, Royal Thai Police, and more than 58 taxi cooperatives in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

The meeting discussed various issues regarding total taxi service revamp.

It agreed that the new ministerial regulations would be made compulsory for taxis to install GPS devices and CCTV cameras inside the car.

Panic or emergency button for passengers must also be installed in case of emergency or needing help.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxis-bangkok-go-total-revamp/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-07
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

• Like 2

Revamp their behavior and attitudes toward the paying public and tourists

in particular and the rest will follow..... you can have a situation where a driver

will insult and cheat a passenger knowing he will only get a 1,000 baht fine,

if they get him that is....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

Yep if you are being raped or bashed you will need to know where the button is

Who's going to check that it all works ? Particularly the panic button.

• Like 1