rooster59

Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

122 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted

Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

IMG_1211.png

Taxis in Bangkok will soon be mandated by the state to be installed with global positioning system, closed-circuit TV cameras, and emergency buttons linked directly to the police centre in a total revamp of taxi services offered by the military junta to ensure safe travel by passengers and to probe the image of Thai taxi service.

The compulsory requirement will take immediate effect for newly registered taxis, while old taxis will be given certain period for them to comply with the new ministerial rules and regulations for taxi service.

The revamp of taxi services was agreed upon at a meeting yesterday participated by the National Reform Steering Committee on State Administration, Land Transport Department, Cooperatives Promotion Department, National Council for Peace and Order, Royal Thai Police, and more than 58 taxi cooperatives in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

The meeting discussed various issues regarding total taxi service revamp.

It agreed that the new ministerial regulations would be made compulsory for taxis to install GPS devices and CCTV cameras inside the car.

Panic or emergency button for passengers must also be installed in case of emergency or needing help.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/taxis-bangkok-go-total-revamp/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-07
1 person likes this

ID: 3   Posted

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

2 people like this

ID: 7   Posted

Revamp their behavior and attitudes toward the paying public and tourists

in particular and the rest will follow..... you can have a situation where a driver

will insult and cheat a passenger knowing he will only get a 1,000 baht fine,

if they get him that is....

2 people like this

ID: 9   Posted

Panic button for who ?

I hope for the passengers

2 people like this

ID: 11   Posted

Will it detect wrigged meters?and enhance fines for wrigged meters?

1 person likes this

ID: 13   Posted

4 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

I doubt it's particularly expensive. GPS systems and CC cams are cheap. And if the taxi coops purchase them in bulk then it's even cheaper. I am not sure how the panic button will work though.

Yep if you are being raped or bashed you will need to know where the button is

ID: 15   Posted

Who's going to check that it all works ? Particularly the panic button.

1 person likes this

ID: 16   Posted

The problems with taxis have nothing to do with technology but with human behavior.No amount of technology will solve

these problems.   

2 people like this

ID: 17   Posted

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Total revamp !! WOW !!

What about all the unlicensed drivers?

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

Yes the customer will pay in time as the taxi drivers cry foul. The powers that be mandated this to make it look like they are which I guess in a small way they do.  I was in the elevator the other day and a lady was fiddling with her mobile. I curiously asked her what she was doing (thinking Pokeman) She said she was calling up a Uber driver who would meet her at the back of the condo. This whole exercise by the taxi drivers seems to little to late. The hand writing is on the wall. Thats here in Chiang Mai where the song taews just upped their rates. Again if this reflected in better service OK but I was out and about the other day in the heat and desperately looking for a song taew. It took me three tries. One could speak no English the second was not as the song goes "Going my way"Their timing on raising rates seems rather ironic looking at the entrance of Uber into the market here.

1 person likes this

ID: 18   Posted

4 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

But it will be fun for the passengers to find out.......... about 2000 times a day for the first year.

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, dg1980 said:

Despite those problems, BKK taxis are generally very good. If the government wants to address negative tourist experiences with taxis they should go after the taxis in Phuket, Samui etc. Extremely poor service and ridiculously overpriced.

The only problem I have in Bangkok is drivers refusing if they don't want to go where I asked.  That used to not be very common in Bangkok but has got completely crazy in the last year or two.  Oh,  and the occasional one who didn't want to use a meter.  

Edited by The Deerhunter
1 person likes this

ID: 20   Posted

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

My wife (Thai) was turned down by SEVEN taxis (refused to go on the meter) after we came off a river cruise last night. They were quoting anything from 150-300 baht for a 60 baht trip from River City to BTS at Saphan Taksin).

Did your wife take down the numbers of the 7 taxis and file an official complaint about each? Until this happens systematically nothing will change.

2 people like this