Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
rooster59

Taxis in Bangkok go for total revamp

For once I think the junta is on the right track. 
Try to compete with uber instead of just going after uber legally. That's how a free market is supposed to give the customers (the people!!) the best product for the best price.
Thats more than can be said of many western countries reaction towards uber. 
Only problem is.. Talk is cheap.. And just because you entered a competition doesnt mean you will win... You still need competence.

Thailand and free market.
That is a dream.
Almost everything here is controlled by influental people and mafia structures.
Why you think they go so much about Uber and Grab....
Another examples why there are endless 7-11 but no other convenience store.
Why there are mostly PTT gas stations.
How did become CP company so big and influental?
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 11:29 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I took a taxi the other night for the first time in a while without an initial handful of refusals... 

Great, I thought, the driver was polite, switched on the meter straight away... 

...But no seatbelt, I felt quite vulnerable as he screamed up Rama IV road weaving through traffic... He took it easy after I asked him to...  but my thoughts... why? Just why is it so difficult for these guys to provide a simple service without any issues? Do I ask too much ?

What I think are reasonable expectations - which are the norm in many other countries. 

1) Seatbelts

2) Serviced vehicles

3) Safe & Professional driving

4) Uses the meter 

5) No repeated refusals

ALL of the issues with BKK taxis stem from the poor attitudes of the drivers which over time has become the norm, such that a sense of entitlement has slipped into the fray... I'd happily pay a little more for a better reliable service. 

Rubbish.

The police could set up a 'helpline' where you can simply report taxis that refuse to take you... they could keep some records and start to punish repeat offenders.

Sorry, this word 'police' again. Doesn't exist here in Thailand. Authority = 6000 Generals (no army, just a private armed force that forms the hand of the monarchy and controls politics).

Everytime I drive out on the expressway or motorway, or Bangna-Trad road from Bangplii.... I see idiots driving like idiots. I see no real speed limits.

I see NO traffic police cars enforcing rules - only occassionally police walking the street snatching trucks or bikes apparently to collect cash.

They can't manage to set up an MoT scheme for testing cars annually. They can't manage to set up properly trained Driving Instructor licencing.

I use GRAB for taxis, and I refuse to cancel bookings if they call me up and ask me to do that for them. I trust that GRAB will encourage good people to work better and realise that just being in a taxi isn't an automatic living - at least through the GRAB portal you can filter out many of the bad taxis.

As for driving, the minute a driver does something I don't like - I tell them to drive nicely or I will not pay.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

That is a dream.

But there's a great choice of Supermarkets, right? and no problems about the products on the shelves (although certain items might be out of stock for 7 months of the year... that's not due to interference, right?)

You're free to buy a 79p can of Heinz beans for about 2 quid.

Livin' the dream here m8 (",)

The rear seat belts don't even work. How is an emergency button expected to!?!?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CLW said:

That is a dream.

There's mom&pop convenience stores everywhere. There's tesco express. There's family mart. There's big c mini.

There's mom&pop convenience stores everywhere. There's tesco express. There's family mart. There's big c mini.

The majority is 7-11, especially in Bangkok

On 5/9/2017 at 11:21 PM, CLW said:

The majority is 7-11, especially in Bangkok

Yes, nothing wrong with that. They seem to have the best business model and ability to expand.

Yes, nothing wrong with that. They seem to have the best business model and ability to expand.

You know that part of the mafia culture here actually prevents 7-Eleven's opening up in many residential areas, because the idea of public space is not the same here as in other countries. Even in MooBans they will have rules, they tell people that they are not allowed to run shops or do anything without express permission. You can go and buy new house, but they will tell you that you are not allowed to fit through Internet or AIS Internet because another organization has been into the office and paid a fee and registered says that they have the monopoly.

It is a great business plan - they do not need to worry about customer Service very much because the customers have only one option.

Sent from my nose.

18 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

You know that part of the mafia culture here actually prevents 7-Eleven's opening up in many residential areas, because the idea of public space is not the same here as in other countries. Even in MooBans they will have rules, they tell people that they are not allowed to run shops or do anything without express permission. You can go and buy new house, but they will tell you that you are not allowed to fit through Internet or AIS Internet because another organization has been into the office and paid a fee and registered says that they have the monopoly.

It is a great business plan - they do not need to worry about customer Service very much because the customers have only one option.

Sent from my nose.

Ok, we have that same concept for internet in sweden. A residential building may sign a contract with one provider and then everyone can only get internet from that provider. Not mafia, just contracts...

No, just money and power to eliminate competition.
You know cartel and market monopoly?

21 hours ago, CLW said:

No, just money and power to eliminate competition.
You know cartel and market monopoly?

I dont have any evidence, do you? Otherwise I suggest we agree to disagree on this one and call it a day :)

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 0:36 AM, colinneil said:

Total revamp !! WOW !!

What about all the unlicensed drivers?

Also good idea, but who is going to pay for it?

not me or you

On 5/13/2017 at 9:54 AM, hobz said:

Ok, we have that same concept for internet in sweden. A residential building may sign a contract with one provider and then everyone can only get internet from that provider. Not mafia, just contracts...

Lolz no - I'm talking about estates covering several kilometers with hundreds of houses; not a residential building. The street poles which carry Government electricity are not permitted by the local Areeya office to carry any other provider here - only 3BB. As a result we had to pay off a contract with True as they weren't allowed to offer us a connection.

Happily, 3BB is far better and faster than True Fiber was in Bangna... 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 10:32 AM, bubba said:

Well we have a choice.  If you prefer to haggle for the meter, ride in beat up taxis without seatbelts, get refused five or ten times for your requested destination, get "lost" while a driver rides you around, or even just walk to the end of a long soi to find a taxi to flag down, then that is your choice. Good luck getting a refund if the service was bad or finding the taxi in which you may have left something. All that said,  you will be able to relax in a meter taxi and enjoy that special feeling of knowing that the car in which you are riding has paid taxes and "fees" to the government.

Well, you can opt for GRAB TAXI which combines the two... 

SImilarly with 'Uber' cars, or 'Grab' cars which are not Taxis, they should be registered with Green number plates as private hire cars (as with the AOT Limousines).

I generally prefer to stand around than take taxis that don't look pretty new... a 1-2 year old car is generally going to give a better experience.

On 14/05/2017 at 10:05 PM, ben2talk said:

Well, you can opt for GRAB TAXI which combines the two... 

SImilarly with 'Uber' cars, or 'Grab' cars which are not Taxis, they should be registered with Green number plates as private hire cars (as with the AOT Limousines).

I generally prefer to stand around than take taxis that don't look pretty new... a 1-2 year old car is generally going to give a better experience.

But Grab Taxis are just regular taxis with an app. I've tried them. I even had one guy roll up and give me a fixed price and "no meter"!

• Like 1