Thailand Forum
webfact

Rain-making operation ordered to ease impacts from freak storms

IMA_FARANG    3,587

Isn't that like the practice of starting "backfires" to avoid fires from other sources in a National forest

it may work, but it seems better to avoid the whole process in the first place, if possible.

Hail usually results from violent wind updrafts that carry water droplets up tp altitudes where they freeze to ice crystals and fall as hail.

I suppose there could be some value at preventing thunderstorms  from getting to that violent updraft state, but I'm not sure the idea is really practical.

Nobody believes me, but I have been driving in golf ball size hail stones in Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Man proposes, God disposes as the saying goes.

Sparkles    2,255
1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Isn't that like the practice of starting "backfires" to avoid fires from other sources in a National forest

it may work, but it seems better to avoid the whole process in the first place, if possible.

Hail usually results from violent wind updrafts that carry water droplets up tp altitudes where they freeze to ice crystals and fall as hail.

I suppose there could be some value at preventing thunderstorms  from getting to that violent updraft state, but I'm not sure the idea is really practical.

Nobody believes me, but I have been driving in golf ball size hail stones in Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Man proposes, God disposes as the saying goes.

Back burning is a very sensible option in my country Australia.As a former volunteer bush fireman we used it to snuff out fires that were burning towards us.

Fires start for a variety of reasons some deliberately lit ,lightening strikes ,wayward cigarette butts being tossed out of vehicles etc etc.

I have never bought into rain making procedures.I remember some time ago planes taking off to do cloud seeding when there was not a cloud to be seen.

As for preventing hail...I can only say "youre dreaming"  Dumping loads of chemicals into the air for me is not a good idea.

Rhys    1,086

...not nice to fool mother nature... now is it.....