Thailand Forum
webfact

Five tourists injured as "stairway collapses" in Ang Thong - Koh Samui National Park

Rhys    1,086

Speedy recovery.... Now fix the stairs properly.

• Like 1

PixelPac    11

Thankfully the people are ok and not seriously hurt. Steel rusts, wood rots and plastic degrades, it's never easy with construction in the tropics.

Hopefully all the injured will recover quickly.

In the meantime, I shall be waiting to hear from the 'head warden'/'head of maintenance' -- or whoever is responsible for checking safety within the park when the last inspection was made and by whom and how regularly all structures in the park are inspected.

And how many days the person responsible for this negligence will have to stay in the local temple as penance before returning to his original position!

khunPer    2,496

From the pictures of the accident being shared online yesterday, it looks like that it's this wooden view-platform at left of the staircase that has collapsed...

wDSC03577_Ang-Thong-platform.jpg.750f3f4f81877c782587cedac9eab30f.jpg
(Photo from March, 2016)

wDSC03575_Mae-Koh-map.jpg.6291291c557734afa416330e0841e30a.jpg

Sad accident, but good no one was seriously injured.

• Like 1

Basil B    5,698

It seems it is stairs up to the viewing platform for the Lagoon, as I recall it is 80m above sea level, a hell of a climb but worth it.

Has a lot of visitors daily so suppose the real problem is how to close it occasionally so that maintenance can be done.

• Like 1

samuijimmy    27,782
Just now, Basil B said:

It seems it is stairs up to the viewing platform for the Lagoon, as I recall it is 80m above sea level, a hell of a climb but worth it.

Has a lot of visitors daily so suppose the real problem is how to close it occasionally so that maintenance can be done.

They did redo the steps and platform several years ago  maybe six or seven years, (?)  I remember seeing it being done )  ... 

They worked it in a way people could still get to view point... Using metal girders under the platforms...and some of the steps.

I am sure they will being lookng carefully at the whole construction,  yes 100's of visitors daily... second to those who go to Koh Toa on day trips .

• Like 1

Foozool    174

Accidents happen here all the time, everyday by "brake failior", "screw failior" or "responsibility failior". People die or injure, in result which is not important. Important is life is going on for others. 

Welcome to LOS. 

• Like 1

nchuckle    173
5 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Keep to topic, and no Thai bashing...  two posts already removed.

I'm not trying to be contentious but it appears almost all the posts here are critical of Thai construction and maintenance standards and their unsatisfactory response to consequent accidents. What constitutes "Thai bashing " in this respect?

samuijimmy    27,782
1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I'm not trying to be contentious but it appears almost all the posts here are critical of Thai construction and maintenance standards and their unsatisfactory response to consequent accidents. What constitutes "Thai bashing " in this respect?

Because it not all as bad a some people  (trolls) imagine...

Accidents happen all over the world as several people have pointed out.

nchuckle    173
1 minute ago, samuijimmy said:

Because it not all as bad a some people  (trolls) imagine...

Accidents happen all over the world as several people have pointed out.

They're all accidents Jimmy, but the question remains were they preventable by better more responsible construction/ maintenance? There is the concept of negligence which in a lot of the rest of the world will deem you culpable, thus ensuring that those responsible take more care . This is something I rarely see as a concept here and it is not unfair to highlight that.

• Like 1

Mr Beaver    16
27 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

They're all accidents Jimmy, but the question remains were they preventable by better more responsible construction/ maintenance? There is the concept of negligence which in a lot of the rest of the world will deem you culpable, thus ensuring that those responsible take more care . This is something I rarely see as a concept here and it is not unfair to highlight that.

Perhaps preventable, these kind of threads just go way overboard on ridiculous comments.... this is why I and many others don't read much here anymore ....:angry:

• Like 1