Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Pattaya police in urgent public appeal for information about missing Thai/US kids

On 5/12/2017 at 10:49 AM, owl sees all said:

The Thais are particularly good at sending people to jail for long stretches.  Ten years for this and 60 for that. It must be one of the most lop-side countries out there. As we know you can get away with murder in Thailand but get 30 years at a whim. At least the kids are safe (last reported) and looked after.

Depends on the crime. Thailand like other countries has guidelines (Thai Criminal Code) for setting sentences. If you plead guilty they will take whatever sentence you have  and decrease it by 50%. However there is allot of corruption so anything can happen.  My first girlfriend in Thailand had an issue with her sister.  Her sister got into a fight with a neighbor in the condo. The Neighbor pressed charges so her sister ended up in Jail. After speaking to the police we paid 5K baht and she was released and all went away.  One law that carries a heavy weight is the Lèse majesté making it illegal to defame, insult, or threaten anyone in the Royal family and this is taken very seriously and also used as a weapon to go after political rivals.  

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Depends on the crime.

Of course! But what constitutes a crime is often at the whim of the police or judge. Interpretation is purposely vague, This has suited the powerful people very well down the years.

Don't you think it is wrong when - as happened quite recently - someone can rape and strangle (kill) an eight year old and get released inside seven years whilst an elderly couple can get 30 years each for picking mushrooms!?

I've been here for quite some time and I am constantly shocked at the severity of sentencing for trivial reasons. I was simply pointing out that it is a 'lock 'em up' culture here. 

Edited by owl sees all
spelling error

On 5/19/2017 at 11:18 AM, owl sees all said:

Of course! But what constitutes a crime is often at the whim of the police or judge. Interpretation is purposely vague, This has suited the powerful people very well down the years.

Don't you think it is wrong when - as happened quite recently - someone can rape and strangle (kill) an eight year old and get released inside seven years whilst an elderly couple can get 30 years each for picking mushrooms!?

I've been here for quite some time and I am constantly shocked at the severity of sentencing for trivial reasons. I was simply pointing out that it is a 'lock 'em up' culture here. 

Just like any other government department/ministry it's the same. Each interpret things the way they want. However, the underlining issue is corruption which allows this to happen instead of clear interpretation of said laws/rules by superior officers / courts.  The people getting 30yrs for picking mushrooms I'm sure there is more to that story, such as someone with power wants those people out of the way or they just pissed off the wrong person, refused to pay a bribe etc.  The guys that get away with things I'm sure paid their way out.  Now I'm not saying all police all corrupt, but a good majority of them are.  I have meet some police that have done their job not asking for one baht. Then I met police that make something up and want to extort money from you. The old saying in Thailand is only the poor are in jail.  

• Like 1