webfact

Welcome to paradise! Filthy Samui beach is a disgrace say angry residents

36 posts in this topic

ID: 21   Posted

1 hour ago, Deez said:

They would rather wait for a foreigner to clean it up.

Too busy complaining about falang and playing facebook...thainess 101

ID: 23   Posted

I thought "unhelpful" posts were to be banned. How is this helpful in getting more tourists to Samui, they should be concentrating on accentuating the positives. Such as...or.... OK I give in !!

ID: 24   Posted

2 hours ago, FredNL said:

What do you expect on Koh Rupt Trash ???

Same, same as Pattaya and Puke-it.

Where trash is meeting trash, making trash and living with and in trash !!!

Posting from Bkk about a tiny stretch of water on an otherwise pristine beach? 

You forgot to shut the door...

2 people like this

ID: 25   Posted

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Posting from Bkk about a tiny stretch of water on an otherwise pristine beach? 

You forgot to shut the door...

One could make the same characterization about that little stretch of beach at Fukushima.

ID: 26   Posted

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

That is an ugly picture and should be cleaned up, but it is also VERY deceptive. It is a 20 meter stretch of a 3 kilometer (?) beach that is stunning. 

I swim on a daily basis a few hundred meters east of there, and the beach is clean, the sand wonderful, and the water is clean and lovely. It is one of the main reasons that I live here. A sense of perspective is badly needed to this story.

Off to the beach!

Cheers

So you swim a few hundred meters from where that septic tank overfill flows into the ocean? 

Nice, swimming in  sh1t, maybe it's good for the skin... 😂 😂 😂 

2 people like this

ID: 27   Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

One could make the same characterization about that little stretch of beach at Fukushima.

One would need to be living in Hiroshima or Chenobyl to beat a bkk based hypocrite with all those klongs.

Edited by evadgib

ID: 28   Posted

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I'd have to be living in Hiroshima or Chenobyl to match matey in bkk with all those klongs.

True, but I don't know many tourists who save up all year and fly 15 hours each way to swim in the klongs.

ID: 29   Posted (edited)

Oh my!  Hope no Brits posting here complaining about the litter and other rubbish.

Seen on Sky news several times in the last few months how much effort is being put in to cleaning rubbish in  coastal areas of UK,  and only 60 % of counties recycle there recyclables .. what happens in the other 40 %?

Not to mention many councils have to have litter control officers to catch people dumping or throwing rubbish ...what is it a 100 pound fine?

And all coastal communities have sewage that does not flow into the sea?  I don't think so.

Fortunately the positives way out weigh the negatives in living here.

Just to add, this is a world wide problem, even so called pristine Hawaii ... I've seen litter and even old televisions dumped near beaches and else where.

Edited by Mr Beaver
2 people like this

ID: 30   Posted

I'm sure if the beach chair vendors were offered a free months 'bribe' 'rent' then it would be cleaned up in a matter of hours.

ID: 31   Posted

I spent a lot of time beachcombing as a kid... shells, interesting bits of drift wood, polished sea glass, etc.
Never saw the disgusting heaps of trash we deal with today.
Plastic pakaging is the source of most of it. People were not tidier, but there were only half as many, and packaging was largely paper which does break down.
Don't know what you will do, kids. I get odd, and sometimes annoyed, looks when I present my canvas shopping bag. My request for no plastic carry bags in my grocery delivery has resulted in maybe 50% fewer... long way from the offered none.
I am only one apparently eccentric old guy, doing my poor sort of hippy best. Up to you as they say here.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 people like this

ID: 32   Posted

Plastic is a huge problem. With time plastic breaks down into small particles that will be literally everywhere . Fish and other living things will be contaminated with microscopic particles of plastic. This is scary and it is unknown how is it going to affect humans that ingest contaminated food with plastic.

1 person likes this

ID: 33   Posted

On 5/12/2017 at 0:08 PM, impulse said:

20+ years ago when I lived in Southern California, I could open up the morning news and look at the bacteria count all up and down the coast and decide whether and where to go swimming.  

Is there any credible analog here in Thailand?

Still.  Big raw sewage spill in February.  The vid in link article isn't it, but it is interesting to see the Tijuana River Valley and the Imperial Beach zone from drone perspective.  

Drone video suggests a massive raw sewage spill continued from Mexico into San Diego County beaches after Feb. 23, the date that authorities said the spill ended.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-video-tijuana-mexico-sewage-spill-san-diego-california-20170306-htmlstory.html

ID: 34   Posted

we have a large man made lake in our province that is about 15 years old; it is so trashed that we stopped taking our visitor friends out there

ID: 35   Posted

On 5/12/2017 at 4:27 AM, steven100 said:

well clean it up instead of complaining ....  

I think the suggestion is that a general policy of keeping the beaches clean would be more appropriate than relying on community minded residents to do it.  But thanks for the hugely helpful post!!

2 people like this

ID: 36   Posted (edited)

On 5/13/2017 at 8:55 AM, Thunder26 said:

Plastic is a huge problem. With time plastic breaks down into small particles that will be literally everywhere . Fish and other living things will be contaminated with microscopic particles of plastic. This is scary and it is unknown how is it going to affect humans that ingest contaminated food with plastic.

Phat (computer repairer, Maenam) had an interesting programme from Nat Geo playing when we popped in recently to buy a kids desktop for homework. My family were mesmerised to see how much junk had been injested by dead Scua, Albatross & an assortment of fish being autopsied on camera. The junk came from six SE Asian countries inc one beginning with T...

'Thousand words' an' all that...😉

Edited by evadgib