Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 08:31
Sign in to follow this  
george

Suvarnabhumi Airport Faces Partial Shutdown

New airport faces partial shutdown

Mistakes, graft found in almost all contracts

BANGKOK: -- Poor construction at Suvarnabhumi may force parts of the new airport to be shut down for repairs. This would open the way for the recently abandoned Don Muang airport to be re-opened to serve Bangkok's air traffic needs.

Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said yesterday that following a recent report on the problems facing Suvarnabhumi airport, it was likely that part of the new facility would have to be closed and Don Muang airport would pick up the slack.

Some people had suggested the airport, open less than three months, be completely closed for a revamp, with flights being redirected to Don Muang [more...]

--Bangkok Post 2006-12-25

Despite its (the novotel) claimed five-star status, the hotel had plywood doors.

the shame , the horror , the disgrace .

for this reason alone the airport should be closed immediately and heads must not only roll , but be seen rolling.

Khun Taxexile.

I think you would be a perfect choice to become a chat moderator.

Do you have plenty of time on your hands?

I got nothing to say about the Airport other than poor show

unfortunately no heads will roll

no one will ever be brought to justice

no one will end up in jail

THAILAND is doing itself in

and it is powerless to stop it

pity as the whole world is watching and shaking their heads :o

but TIT

:o

Despite its (the novotel) claimed five-star status, the hotel had plywood doors.

for this reason alone the airport should be closed immediately and heads must not only roll , but be seen rolling.

the real sad part of this story is that those contractors responsible for this farce will continue to do business with the government because of their connections, i am new to this country and i am still amazed at what you are allowed to do in thailand and get nothing more than getting your hand slapped if your caught.

it seems that the story of the lack of bathrooms was just the tip of the iceberg here, even the hotel should be ashamed of themselves, a five star hotel with plywood doors, everyone involved in this mess should be run out of the country

jasper

everyone involved in this mess should be run out of the country

jasper

The main 'culprit' already has!! :D:D:D

It is interesting to see criticism of the effects of certain aspects of 'Thai ways' from such a highly-placed body as the oligarchical Government.

Cynics will say that they are seizing on anything that makes the previous regime look bad. And I can see that there could be some of that in it.

But could there also be an element of "we must use our brush to sweep clean whilst it is new"?

As His Majesty pointed out, oldies have certain abilities not (yet) granted to the younger generations.

One is that they can tackle any problem, without worrying that they may be storing up antagonisms that will give them trouble in later phases of their life.

Maybe they feel (as many contributors to this website feel) that Thailand would do well to develop in the general populace, and particularly in those involved with the placement and execution of contracts, more conscience about doing a proper job.

Lee Kuan Yew did Singapore a great service by saying (around 1960): "We won't thrive in a globalised world unless we get it accepted that we are 'squeaky clean'---so we will start by paying a proper level of salary to public servants, but insisting that they maintain the levels of Civil Servant probity that the British have demonstrated. And we'll root out corruption in commerce."

(He also saw to it that those levels were maintained, and even honed, over the years whilst they were slipping in the UK. But that is an aside.)

It was a case of: "The hardware and software only produce the results if the orgware is in place". And this publication of the report on the deficiencies at the new airport could be a result of the same thinking.

Politically, in Thailand, 2006 was 'interesting times'. Maybe that will carry on into 2007.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

a 2 days ago a had a look at the wide opened mashinery room (aircon system?) in the departure area air-side - I wanted to do a shortcut to my departure gate after leaving the toilet.

nobody was there and the door was opened.

if anybody wanted to affect the functioning of the airport that would be dead(ly) easy

the real sad part of this story is that those contractors responsible for this farce will continue to do business with the government because of their connections, i am new to this country and i am still amazed at what you are allowed to do in thailand and get nothing more than getting your hand slapped if your caught.

it seems that the story of the lack of bathrooms was just the tip of the iceberg here, even the hotel should be ashamed of themselves, a five star hotel with plywood doors, everyone involved in this mess should be run out of the country

jasper

The problem is that no other country would accept them. Castration sounds good to me.

I always thought the 60/ 40 was a good division between the airports. Originally they were gonna move 60% of the traffic over to NBIA and DMK would retain the other 40% traffic based on regional, domestic and charters.

Don Muang is a time tested airport and can become a wonderful budget carrier airport for all Thailand destinations plus Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc...

Really it does not come as much of a surprise but to openly admit is is a surprise..Not blaming Toxin and his group..or Farang investment...Or for the that matter even Boeing and Airbus must be somehow at fault right..

I do not even want to think about them closing say the Domestic side down and travelers having to go to Don Muang for connection..The would suck..

No, no, fix the new airport please. Enjoying the peace and quiet here near Don Muang. I wish someone would drive a stake through Don Muang's heart so it will die, die, die. Please, someone--how about a perfect spot for residential, shopping center, office, and park development, right on Vipavadee Road and minutes from central Bangkok!!

I really hope they make up their minds soon about when and how as I'm flying (beginning of Febs) from Chiangmai to Bangkok to catch a flight to Sydney just 3 hours after arriving....

Any info on when they're thinking of doing what? Gee, who am I kidding? I just looked at my own silly question; TIT & TDT! It'll probably be a few more months.

Corruption in Thailand is no better/no worse than in the U.S. or Europe. In the U.S. and Europe, much of the money ends up in the hands of highly overpaid, highly underworked UNION/SYNDICAT employees, that may be paid $100 an hour, when they could easily be replaced with a NON union employee for 1/10 that wage. Don't forget the 34 hour work week in some parts of Europe, and the six weeks paid vacation. You don't consider that CORRUPT? In Thailand, at least some of the money ends up in the investor's /risk takers pockets, and yes, some crooked government officials' pockets, who probably aren't overpaid that much.

I prefer the crooked Thai ways to the crooked US and european ways... at least in Thailand, they don't pretend they aren't corrupt like in the U.S. and europe.

And compare the airport taxes in Thailand to those in Europe... it's a bargain here. I recall in Europe, you could find fares for like $1 one way, plus $100 each way in "taxes and fees". That's not corrupt?

I agree Don Muang would make a great budget airport, and Bangkok is big enough to support two airports, which are far apart from each other. U-tapao airport, past Pattaya, is the one that should probably close, since the new Bangkok airport is much closer to Pattaya/Rayong areas.

My complaints with the new airport: air conditioning seems to be insufficient and spotty in certain areas, and the arrivals area is already drastically overcrowded. They had a chance to make a spacious arrivals area, and they didn't. It's a frickin' zoo most of the time.