Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket Police charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

116 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, catman20 said:

if you can be bothered to look at any of my posts on this matter I SAID IT WAS THE BIKE RIDERS FAULT FROM DAY ONE. RIP young lady.

Why do you think LiKs comment was directed at you?

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well ... so much for all the TV detectives declaring the truck driver was at fault.

To me it was an unfortunate road accident caused by the bike driver.

But but ....he isnt thai therefore cant be the guilty party.....if what i read on here is true .

Very sad, may she RIP.

It brings to mind (not talking about this case) how vexed I get when I see ladies on the back of motorbikes here blissfully unaware of what's going on around them because they are totally engrossed in playing their phones.

No sign of being "at the ready" should something unexpected occur.

9 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:
“Both men are being held responsible for the death of Ms Anderson, because both were driving recklessly,” Lt Col Sanit Nookong of Thalang Police station confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 17)
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-charge-british-boyfriend-for-death-of-sophie-anderson-62188.php#8Wxa4TGm4BtPQsSp.99

I fail to see how the truck driver could have avoided the accident, IMO he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, hardly reckless driving.
I"m sure that both drivers are heavy enough in their hearts without all of this on top.
Truly a terrible ACCIDENT.

if they charge 2 people they can collect double the fine. remember police are basically private enterprise in thailand.

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Well ... so much for all the TV detectives declaring the truck driver was at fault.

Isn't hind sight plus with new information a wonderful thing.

Probably staying in Thailand as an illegal worker and having lack of experience of motorbike riding and the Thai road systems.

This is something that is going to haunt him for the remainder of his life. A terrible tragedy for all involved. 

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

For sure it was an accident. But if you knew how the truck drivers are driving in Thailand, you could change your mind. In other countries, usually the drivers, as they have a good point of view of the scene, brake when it seems dangerous. In this case the truck driver was perfectly able to see the car parked on the bike lane, but he didn't try to break or avoid the accident. As usual in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

For sure it was an accident. But if you knew how the truck drivers are driving in Thailand, you could change your mind. In other countries, usually the drivers, as they have a good point of view of the scene, brake when it seems dangerous. In this case the truck driver was perfectly able to see the car parked on the bike lane, but he didn't try to break or avoid the accident. As usual in Thailand.

Was it a bike lane or was it just that part of the hard shoulder that some scooters and motorbike riders like to use, sometimes?

Edited by simoh1490

Why someone doesn't see the safety value of a car on these roads is tough to fathom.  If her son was on the bike at the time of the accident it could have been an even worse tragedy.  When you are responsible for the lives of other people you have to step up and stop living off scraps from your Youtube channel income.  The good news (if there is any) is that, according to socialblade.com, his subscriber rate is skyrocketing since he put his "personal" tragedy on the internet and there are convenient and not so inconspicuous business links and donation options offered.  I didn't see any links to make any donations that would be delivered to the child who lost his mother.  They must be forthcoming.

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Try reading the British press version and then look back a few months to the Jet ski accident with the Austrian guy.

So drivers local are not the worst in the world. please do not try and say Libya is as that place is at war.

Just like the Australian guy he will get nailed He braked hard on a scooter as the car in front did also but he only had two wheels.

Accidents happen and at times like this with him having to suffer the loss and living with it, do not make a mountain out of a molehill as they do here.

I will remind you  to get a driving licence here in the UK we are trained we have the best training in the world when it comes to driving tests and it takes a lot more than 5 hours.

We also have road sense that is why we have less deaths in a year than you loose in a month or less.

Driving standards there are abysmal yet time and time again farangs get the wrap, when they are the ones who have had the training and have learned to use roads in Europe that are not just a straight line.

I think you must of forgot who are the best drivers and it is not those in your neck of the woods.

It takes more than training to operate any motor vehicle, it takes actual driving experience, common sense and situational awareness. When I was around 6 years old, my parents took me to the St. Loius Zoo. I saw monkeys that could drive mini-bikes and I bet it took a lot longer than 5 hours to train them. They were probably trained better than monkeys in the UK.

C'mon guys (why I never read women's comments?) this man has been punished more than enough; he lost his wive!

it's crazy how people are careless.  you just don't take your pregnant girlfriend in.motorcycle in.a country known for one of the most dangerous for driving.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

if you can be bothered to look at any of my posts on this matter I SAID IT WAS THE BIKE RIDERS FAULT FROM DAY ONE. RIP young lady.

Yes you did say that, but for the wrong reason..he did not move into the path of the truck by not looking behind first.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

UK police now refer to these incidents as collisions, rather than accidents which implies they could not have been prevented. Usually there are a combination of factors like driver actions, excess speed for conditions, lack of proficiency, and weather that contribute to the collision. In my experience there is little scientific investigation in Thailand of collision scenes by qualified staff, so the causes will be decided by guesswork and questioning. So anything can happen, that's why they charge everybody and sort it out later.

It should be noted that the British police treat every accident site as a potential crime scene. This is why roads are often closed for hours following such an incident.I've not seen how Thai police deal with one so I cannot comment.

As far as Mr. Glass is concerned though, I can comment. He faced up to his responsibility for this accident in a very public way on Facebook, by explaining exactly what happened. Any other comments, on this forum really are superfluous.

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Jet ski accident with the Austrian guy

While I can understand Thai people being confused about Austrian and Australian people just because of the language barrier, I am not amused about (possibly) native speakers who make the same mistake.

14 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Did many (any?) TV detectives declare "the truck driver at fault"?

I haven't read back through the original thread, but seem to remember it was mostly about whether Mr Glass had swerved into another lane to avoid a parked car, or whether he had braked in response to a vehicle braking in front of him, resulting in him losing control  and the 'bike falling over - throwing the victim into the path of the truck.

Very sad indeed many lives involved poor kid looses his mother But if Danny Glass was thai would he of been charged? I think not Be classed as big misunderstanding and all forgiven Maybe 500 baht for not wearing helmuts Oh and thai also say sorry to kid and father

Was the truck driver too close? Yes, I would say.....and not paying attention.

DID THEY TEST THE TRUCK DRIVER FOR ALCOHOL OR DRUGS. Answer. NO.

Edited by WhiteRedPurple