webfact

Manning leaves U.S. prison 7 years after giving secrets to WikiLeaks

78 posts in this topic

ID: 17   Posted (edited)

I don't know enough about the details of her case to have an informed opinion if she should have been pardoned. But I don't think her gender issues should have impacted on the decision. If she hadn't been released, the humane thing to do would have been to medically support her gender transition. Apparently there were issues with that. 

I think alot of opinions about her release are emotionally rather than fact based. 

Edited by Jingthing
2 people like this

ID: 18   Posted

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't know enough about the details of her case to have an informed opinion if she should have been pardoned. But I don't think her gender issues should have impacted on the decision. If she hadn't been released, the humane thing to do would have been to medically support her gender transition. Apparently there were issues with that. 

I think alot of opinions about her release are emotionally rather than fact based. 

No problem if he wants to be a she but not after a conviction and not with taxpayers cash!  it's almost a 'reward' for a traitorous act  of a soldier entrusted with information whilst in uniform. Wikileaks can do good work and I am for open government but this was not that by a long stretch.

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

No problem if he wants to be a she but not after a conviction and not with taxpayers cash!  it's almost a 'reward' for a traitorous act  of a soldier entrusted with information whilst in uniform. Wikileaks can do good work and I am for open government but this was not that by a long stretch.

The taxpayer should NEVER be required to pay for personal lifestyle choices. Can anyone on here imagine the Thai government paying for lady boy's operations?

I don't think she should have been jailed as long as she was, but they should not have paid for the hormones. Regardless of the wrongness, IMO, of the conviction, prison is for punishment, not a happy lifestyle.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
2 people like this

ID: 21   Posted

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

What I find fascinating is that to many on the right Edward Snowden is a hero.  But Chelsea Manning is a traitor.  Can someone please explain to me the distinction?

No distinction,They are both traders.They should be in prison for life or as in war time ,shoot them.

1 person likes this

ID: 22   Posted

2 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

No distinction,They are both traders.They should be in prison for life or as in war time ,shoot them.

Maybe should have shot her, but in a taxpayer provided frock, thank you very much ... :whistling:

ID: 25   Posted

Just now, RuamRudy said:

You do realise that they both exposed the illegal activities of their government, don't you? Would you prefer that they did nothing and, effectively, participated in the cover up of US war crimes or illegal mass surveillance?

Ah it's ok to wear the uniform, sign the declaration of loyalty and secretly give out information which puts your comrades at risk?  sent to jail he/she then goes on hunger strike and get's free 'gender reassignment' and is now complaining of 'routinely having to endure haircuts' whilst in jail

you could not make it up

2 people like this

ID: 28   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't claim to have any expert knowledge of gender assignment issues, but I think that calling it a lifestyle choice is regarded, in these more enlightened days, to be ingorant.

Where sexuality and gender are concerned, we are born the way we are. Just like retards are born without the ability, i.e. sufficient brain cells, to understand this

Edited by grumbleweed

ID: 30   Posted

11 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

Where sexuality and gender are concerned, we are born the way we are. Just like retards are born without the ability, i.e. sufficient brain cells, to understand this

you should study current science, and actual reality, as opposed to biased and prejudiced personal opinions; but then again, maybe you don't have sufficient brain cells to understand this

2 people like this