Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

Taxi drivers chase foreigner out of Uber taxi in Pattaya

2 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Was outside the big Tescos on Sukhumvit the other day where taxi touts wait for unsuspecting Russians and Chinese. Heard one guy, I kid you not, try to charge 1k for a Russian mum and her kid to go to Pratumnak!! That's about a 3km ride... 1000 baht!! <deleted> cheating scumbags deserve everything they get... I hope uber or grab or any other non cheating taxi services make all these cheating scumbags homeless.

The best thing to do in such cases is taking Videos and post the actions of those scam artists online on FB or else. It will get the publicity it deserves, because the Thai people are annoyed as well. That way, eventually the government will accept that there is no way to change the behaviour of those scumbags and that services like UBER are needed and here to stay.....

Pattaya taxi drivers force foreigners out of Uber car

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Screenshot: Bangkok Biz News

PATTAYA: -- A group of cabbies chased foreign tourists out of their Uber and threatened to have the Uber driver arrested — the latest vile move from taxi drivers in the conflict between them and the ride-sharing apps.

The Uber driver, Surasak Kookham, 29, told police he was surrounded by five or six registered taxi drivers who blocked him from driving away when he picked up a foreign couple on Pattaya Sai 2 Road.

“The woman was already inside the car when her husband was putting the luggage in the trunk, but the taxi drivers told her to get out,” Surasak told Bangkok Biz News.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/pattaya-taxi-drivers-force-foreigners-uber-car/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-05-18

I have been using UBER frequently in the past few weeks to get from my place to Pattaya Bus station. Nothing but good experiences.
I tell the driver to drop my a few meters away from the actual station and they are happy about it, as we both can avoid potential Mafia type crooks. Everyone using UBER in Pattaya should use his common sense to avoid unpleasant scenes. Hire a car away from the main road, walk down the Soi. Do not hire it in front of Central Festival or Walking street - this would be begging for trouble.
Would I use regular cabs if they go by Meter? Of course ! But they won't...... GRAB in Pattaya is CRAP too, as most drivers of GRAB CAR never bother to arrive. I have entirely stopped using them (though I always use GRAB when in Malaysia, Vietnam or the Phils. This is just a specific Thai problem, as the GRAB mgmt in Thailand is completely useless and the drivers can get away with whatever they do.

What are the rates charged by UBER drivers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taxi drivers in Pattaya have been ripping people off for as long as I can remember and that includes both 4 and 2 wheel versions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Surely you're extracting the urine!

He's a Pattaya taxi driver, got his daugther's farang boyfriend to write the comment for him!

• Like 1

Greed and corruption. Never changes. T.I.T. Only very selective crack down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyOz said:

With the greatest respect you have not traveled extensively. I think of cities in Eastern Europe and South America. If a taxi driver will not switch his meter on and the price quoted is too high then go to another. The other taxi will have seen this and will offer a better price. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times but the choice is yours if you don't like the price don't get in.

With a similar amount of respect, I have travelled extensively, in Africa,  Central and South America and Central and Eastern Europe, So i will disagree with your comment WRT metered taxis.

• Like 1

Thank-you for your respect, with a proportionate level of respect in return I would like to ask if your travels to these areas were before the prevalence of smartphones? especially in Europe, Eastern Europe, South East Asia and South America ?

In a comparison of Major cities and tourist destinations the metered fare is the norm. Where a metered taxi is not the norm there is usually a 'fixed fare' system which operates reasonable pricing and not the heavily inflated and overcharging fares we see in Thailand... An now we have the smart phone apps....

Of course, if we don't like the inflated fare we can walk away. But this is not private enterprise, the DLT (or relevant metropolitan authority) has awarded the Taxi's a license to provide a service. In accepting this license the drivers have agreed to follow the regulations. When charging a fixed fare, they breaking their license contract. 

These regulations are to protect the consumer / passenger. 

In very few places is the blatant over charging and extortion of passengers tolerated... I can name a few, but these are places I avoid...  

Yet for Pattaya, it seems not only are these overcharging practices by taxi drivers are tolerated by the authorities, it now seems they are supported. 

I must admit the vast majority of any bad experiences were pre smart phone. In saying that things must have changed an unmeasurable amount. For example in in Brazil (Rio and Manaus) and Argentina I was not allowed to even take a taxi while on business. Granted this was a company policy but others had been robbed and physically assaulted in the past.

Talin was another place where the taxis blatantly ripped off tourists while the police look on. I have first hand experience of this.

Compare this to Pattaya where I can get most places on a baht bus for 10baht. I feel taxi drivers are an easy target.

When in Pattaya I try to walk as much as possible, but I personally have never had a problem. I never get into a taxi without first agreeing a price or have a meter on wherever I am in the world.