Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

On 19/05/2017 at 1:43 PM, HauptmannUK said:

I feel that the UK has turned a corner since the referendum. People are now much more comfortable about saying that immigration should be stopped.

I had my haircut the other day and the barber was telling me how he was looking forward to Polish people being deported after we leave the EU. I have known him quite a few years and never heard that kind of comment before. I was a bit gobsmacked. I also feel that there is growing ill-feeling toward expats - resentment toward expats coming back to the UK to use the NHS... Public opinion is certainly changing very rapidly and there is definitely an appetite for very stringent immigration controls - from EU and non-EU.

What has that got to do with settlement visas for non EU partners. If you banned every single settlement visa application to a British citizen how would that impact overall immigration, 1 or 2%. But weigh that against the votes gained from those with an ignorant perception, even so called educated people. Reminds me very much of the Conservatives assault on single parents back in the Thatcher era, until Cecil Parkinson knocked up his secretary.

How typical on the BBC, there are 7.5 million voters who can't cant vote for a femaile candidate http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40011733.

I am concerned that there is no candidate in my constituency that gives two hoots for voters with non EU partners and the BBC is telling me that I can't vote for a woman. What is there was a female candidate but she was a Conservative?

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, Trevor1809 said:

Equate the numbers to the 3 million odd East European migrants

As EEA migrants exercising a treaty right are not obliged to obtain any sort of visa or residency card, it is impossible to count them accurately; whether they be EEA migrants in the UK or British migrants in other EEA countries.

So all figures are estimates, often based upon passenger surveys, NI number applications or similar, but most estimates put the figure at around 3.5 million.

But whatever the figure, they are not all from Eastern Europe!

The latest figures (2015) I can find show that the top ten nationalities of EEA migrants to the UK are, in descending order:-

1. Poland
  2. Republic of Ireland
  3. Romania
  4. Portugal
  5. Italy 
  6. Lithuania
  7. France
  8. Germany
  9. Spain
  10. Latvia

So, out of the top ten, only 4 are Eastern European.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:04 AM, Seekingasylum said:

May's loathsome exploitation of the incipient racism now manifested openly since the referendum is of course laid bare as a cheap political means of enhancing her power.

When May, as Home Secretary, first announced her targets for reducing net migration, did Labour criticise her or those targets?

No, and they have not criticised her targets since.

What they have done, though, is criticise her many times for not hitting her targets!

Corbyn has also promised to reduce net migration. The only difference being that he refuses to say how he is going to do it. In the unlikely event of him winning the election, I suspect that, like May, he will first go for the easy target; families. It wont reduce the figures by much, but he, like May, can claim to be doing something.

When May, as Home Secretary, first announced her targets for reducing net migration, did Labour criticise her or those targets?

No, and they have not criticised her targets since.

What they have done, though, is criticise her many times for not hitting her targets!

Corbyn has also promised to reduce net migration. The only difference being that he refuses to say how he is going to do it. In the unlikely event of him winning the election, I suspect that, like May, he will first go for the easy target; families. It wont reduce the figures by much, but he, like May, can claim to be doing something.

I thought I'd read that Corbyn had said that a government led by him would remove the financial requirements so as not to penalise poor families. I agree should it come to it, I doubt they would. And, anyway, the chance of Labour winning is nil (more's the pity).

50 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought I'd read that Corbyn had said that a government led by him would remove the financial requirements so as not to penalise poor families. I agree should it come to it, I doubt they would. And, anyway, the chance of Labour winning is nil (more's the pity).

Labour's manifesto does, indeed, say on page 28

We will replace income thresholds with a prohibition on recourse to public funds

Which means nothing; this prohibition existed before July 2012 and still exists today!

Further on that page it says

Working together we will institute a new system which is based on our economic needs, balancing controls and existing entitlements. This may include employer sponsorship, work permits, visa regulations or a tailored mix of all these which works for the many, not the few

So what does it mean? A return to the pre July 2012 system of adequate maintenance? I hope so; but Labour have no stated policies at all on how they will deal with family immigration and the manifesto 'promises' are pure waffle.

Which means that if they are elected, they can do what they like, even if that is nothing at all!

Remember, it was Labour who started us down the road of making family immigration more difficult and more expensive.

• Like 2