Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

NCPO: Our biggest achievement is peace

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Regarding the explosion in front of the National Theatre, Col. Piyaphong said the NCPO did not want to speculate on the culprits behind the incident since the country’s peace must come first.

Surely the safety of the country's citizens would be top priority? If the culprits behind the incident pose a threat to the public then peace should not come first.

He should also have quoted the number of people that have been killed in the south, both civilian and military, in the last 3 years just to be clear on such a good job they are doing. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, halloween said:

Well, yes. That's how it works in a civilised society. Which is a better situation than thugs being allowed to run amok without fear of prosecution.

Exactly. No airports being seized. No whistle--blowers shutting down Bangkok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Yes Suthep and the Mad Monk still haven't been held accountable for running amok.

Quite. how dare they protest about the criminal behaviour and excesses of their government. PTP was absolutely right sending the private militia to discourage protests.

One thing though, wasn't THAT putting a gun in someone's mouth and telling them to be happy?

5 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Are you talking about now or before ?  I am confused. 

Actually both. Why I prefer now is the lack of people dying.

Just now, halloween said:

Actually both. Why I prefer now is the lack of people dying.

Given circumstances, the Thai people, as a whole, have acted with restraint.  They deserve far more credit for their behavior than they have gotten. 

• Like 2

Democracy will never work if people sell their votes for a measly 500 Baht. It's not like a lot of people are going to bed hungry in this country. Merely shows that a lot of people don't care about the fate of it.

13 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Given circumstances, the Thai people, as a whole, have acted with restraint.  They deserve far more credit for their behavior than they have gotten. 

Has it occurred to you that the Thai people are nowhere as upset about the current situation as some seem to believe? Or that they actually prefer having the red shirt thugs put back in their box?

Of course, there are plenty of surveys that convey that information, but they can't be believed if they don't fit the agenda.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Whatever they may have achieved, and I dispute some of their claims, it has not been worth it. Bad Government. Freedom of speech and Democracy are what people need and want.

Democracy is an impossible ideal. Do you think 'democracy' is what exists in the US or UK? Before the Junta seized control this country was on the brink for many years. They stabilized the country whilst waiting for a certain, great event, to take place. If they weren't in control when that happened chaos could have ensued, and still may. Yes. certain freedoms are restricted but it doesn't affect the majority of people who just want to have a quiet life, go to work and take care of their families. Just don't click like or join demonstrations and you are OK...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I never agreed before with the junta but it's true your ONLY achievement is PEACE in Bangkok.

where are all those reforms promised ? this govt is exposed

• Like 1

Violence has been achieved! Violence is now the rule of law in the country as far as i see. With no free speech, corruption out of control, pretend police force, bankrupt hospital and so on yet a bunch of new subs it seems Violence and the threat of is the way it is and its teaching average joe to do the same to get what they want.

I say the calm before the storm is not to be confused with peace. 

Good job knob!

• Like 2