Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

NCPO: Our biggest achievement is peace

5 minutes ago, dcpo said:

Here's a thought experiment about 'peace'. What would happen if elections were held next week and PTP won? 'Peace' would end right? That's the whole argument for the military staying in power. But why would peace end? Because a bunch of people currently talking about how great peace is would start protesting...

But only if you feel that protesting is not an expression of a peaceful society. And that is the catch - the elite see social unrest as a sign of conflict (perhaps they feel threatened) as opposed to an opportunity for discourse to address social issues that need addressing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, halloween said:

Well, yes. That's how it works in a civilised society. Which is a better situation than thugs being allowed to run amok without fear of prosecution.

The country was pretty civilised and normal during the Bangkok shutdown. Were there thugs running amok or uncontrollable mobs raging through the cities or countryside; the blood was not running in the streets; there was no destruction of buildings or homes; there was no rioting or looting; the government, courts, medical establishments were kept open for business and functioning adequately; telecommunications, social media facilities were active and normal. Protests not widespread but confined to limited areas in Bangkok. Rest of Bangkok and the upcountry continue life as normal and the Bangkok famed traffic was just as horrific as usual. Pretty civilized to me and my company was functioning without disruption. Still they stage a coup claiming to bring peace. Baloney, I say. Matters were worse in 2009 and no coup. Because the chosen one was PM then?

If I  was a voting Democrat based in a  ( self styled )  " red shirt ' village I would be pleased the coup took place

and looking forward to voting freely without fear in the next election .

OK so they still  will lose but at least a try and a fail is still a try . !

Just now, Jack100 said:

If I  was a voting Democrat based in a  ( self styled )  " red shirt ' village I would be pleased the coup took place

Explain to us how a 'democrat' can be pleased with a coup?   and what is this 'voting freely'?  you think some were forced to vote?  BTW the next election will be a show-election only not a real one

Peaceful..?....But where has all the money gone? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack100 said:

The PDRC supporters clasping the throat of a voter in a menacing manner still haunts me. 

• Like 2

Peace brought about by the barrel of a gun, is NOT peace.  It is, in fact, FEAR.  So total failure on their one achievement.

As for airport seizures and whistle blowers in Bangkok, all of that occurred due to a total and complete failure of the police to enforce the law.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, halloween said:

Well, yes. That's how it works in a civilised society. Which is a better situation than thugs being allowed to run amok without fear of prosecution.

The generals are running amok without fear of prosecution.

• Like 2