Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Hi guys, 

This is my firs post, I wanted to get into this as a bit of extra income but I read on FB that if you plan to sell your crayfish you need to register with the police otherwise its a B10,000 fine a day  upto 100k.

Where I live its a very popular hobby with a large amount of ppl being involved in it. Have you heard anything about this?

I would like to try crayfish, are they available in BKK?

Went to Makro(chumphae) today hoping to get some crawfish to eat

Not stocked at that store yet.They did have giant shrimp with their tail size the same as a fully grown crawfish for 370 baht/kilo.

I will wait for the crawfish. 

• Like 1

Hi Jake, good to hear things progressing nicely, to add a bit of info from our limited experience, we're always learning, there is quite a bit of difference in growth rates comparing pond production to tank production, and less feeding costs in pond production, my wife uses both methods, however tank production has some benefits in that (in the case of red claw) they're more marketable to sell for aquariums due to their more favourable (bluefish)colour, thus attaining a higher price (up to 250 per crayfish size dependant) although in last 6 months prices have dropped from as much as 500 per cray.
pond raised tend to have a more unattractive brownish colouring so not so favourable for aquarium sales and depending on size and area reaching from 300-500 per kg.
An earlier question relating to registering is correct, although haven't heard of the police fine, I'll have to check with the wife where, but I think it's the govt department of fisheries that should be notified, a site inspection normally follows before registration is confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Can confirm your statement.
I talked with my gf, she works at department of fisheries (administration).
She said the crayfish is alien species and the reason for registering at your local DOF is to make sure they not escape to the wild.
You also have to confirm not release them into the wild intentionally.
  • Like 1

Jake, how are the crayfish coming on? Lots of us watching so please keep posting.

• Like 2

I have a feeling that a group of the better members have left. Take care of yourselves chaps the forum will not be the same without you.

• Like 2