Thailand Forum
rooster59

"Hey teacher, leave them kids alone!" - Thai teachers slammed over "bizarre" hair punishment

rooster59    2,233

"Hey teacher, leave them kids alone!" - Thai teachers slammed over "bizarre" hair punishment

teacher.PNG

Image: Daily News

A well known Thai psychologist has hit out at teachers who think they are doing children in their classes a favor by punishing them with head shaving.

The comments come after a teacher in Nakorn Sawan proudly posted pictures online of the result of his latest punishment idea.

He had shaved the back of a boy's head in a kind of "anti-Mohican" - a strip was missing instead of present.

The male teacher said "If they want to try stuff then so will I". It was not clear what the punishment was actually for.

But children's psychologist Dr Warot Chotipitayasunon slammed the teacher and called his idea of punishment bizarre and highly inappropriate.

He said for a start such behavior from a teacher is illegal. The teacher concerned should give punishment that is within the law of the land.

To be a person in authority and break the law like this would ultimately result in only one thing - students breaking the law themselves.

Teachers have to set better examples than this, he said.

He also said that the shame of such draconian punishment could well make children withdrawn and suffer from psychological problems both at school and in later life.

He called on teachers to act lawfully and behave in a respectful manner that they would like their students to follow.

Acting outside the law, outside the school rules was a recipe for disaster, said Dr Warot.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-20

YetAnother    1,970

guy doesnt have an attitude befitting a teacher

• Like 2

tonray    5,340

At schools I have taught, kids were pulled out of the morning arrival line and sent to the barber waiting nearby and charged 10 baht for a haircut right there and then. 

• Like 2

SweatySock    125

This used to happen regularly at a school where I worked. Male students were given a warning that their hair was too long and if they did not have it cut, a teacher would run a hair trimmer over their head similar to the photograph.

kcpattaya    138

Nothing surprises me with Thai education standards - The actual "teachers" were educated the same way.

• Like 2

mtls2005    3,243

I think the involuntary shaving is a sign of dominance/subservience, and to mark the subject with shame?

The military junta always seems to shave the red-shirt prisoners before trotting them out for the perp walk.

But those with higher status seem to remain well-coiffed. I'm sure it's one of those unique Thai cultural things?

scorecard    8,600
17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the involuntary shaving is a sign of dominance/subservience, and to mark the subject with shame?

The military junta always seems to shave the red-shirt prisoners before trotting them out for the perp walk.

But those with higher status seem to remain well-coiffed. I'm sure it's one of those unique Thai cultural things?

Really, some examples...

phetphet    511

I hope the students don't get to like it, and it becomes a fashion trend.

• Like 2