rooster59

Teacher hits back at parent who complained about child who got zero in maths test

102 posts in this topic

Teacher hits back at parent who complained about child who got zero in maths test

maths.PNG

Image: Daily News

A teacher in Chiang Mai has hit back at a parent who criticized his school for give a grade of 0 students in a multiplication test.

The parent called it demeaning saying that a child should be encouraged by giving them at least one. The parent also complained that teachers were acting like they were perfect and had never failed anything.

There was even the suggestion that students should be allowed to pass so their feelings found not be hurt.

But teacher Watanasak Atsajan said that teachers were determined to get the best out of their students and develop their capabilities. They had to be fair and if students didn't make any effort in class they deserved to get zero.

It was simple and fair to everyone, including other children in the class who were making the required effort to improve.

He also said the idea that students should pass regardless of ability or effort was counter productive and set the wrong example. Hard work should be rewarded and laziness and lack of effort condemned.

The subject caused a great deal of comment online. The practice of passing students in order to make schools and teachers appear good has
been endemic in Thailand for years and many posters want change to see quality rewarded.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-20
2 people like this

Important details are missing in this story. How many questions were there? Did the child get every answer wrong? Were calculators allowed? Did the teacher use a calculator to add up to the final test score?

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

Between shooting and killing each other in school rivalries  or getting zero in math, the

latter is much preferred.... now days mind set of youngsters is like

why should we invest the time to

learn, if we can simply punch and electronic device and get

all the answers they need?.....

Edited by ezzra

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

parents of the stupid kid publicly asking for falsified scores and passing on to the next grade 'just because';

amazing; i hope they do not become my neighbors

:smile:, true!

Unfortunately your chances are pretty high, maybe not them in particular but ... well you know ... 

1 person likes this

A 0 for the student also says something about the teacher/school. Want to know the scores of the other students of his/her class. Does he/she understand the difference between 0 and 1 anyway?

2 hours ago, missoura said:

In 99’ I held the position as an ‘ajarn’ at a prestigious Bangkok university.Class attendance for students was a possible option. If a student was a TV star or the latest monthly model then class was not necessary. Other occasional or no-show students included the football team, other sport teams, the seemingly daily special university activity to celebrate something, rich kids, not feeling well, didn’t have a car excuse, traffic jams and the list goes on. Had a student show up for the final exam. Which was fantastic, I finally got to meet him. He got a zero.

But not for the course. There was a committee (that I was not on) to determine the final grade for each class. No idea why. In the end, this one day student received an A for the course. 

I also taught a few graduate classes at a large Thailand university. Same, same…

imagine maybe your dentist, medical doctor, architect, civil engineer or even vet comes from such ""university"". , would explain a lot of absolutely hilarious diagnoses .... p.e. broken shoulder (which was a dislocated joint) or "I need to be treated for this disease"  (a chronicle ailment for years already) answered by the good doctor with a: "no you don't have such disease, here is some paracetamol"

1 person likes this

Teachers should make a statistic of all pupils in their class and have all the notes they got: so it is clear also if something goes wrong with either the teacher or and the pupils....The statistic should be open for the pupils in the class and the parents if needed!

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

But has gone on for years, no only in mathematics.

and now they are changing the rules to reflect the correct exam results and about time