rooster59

Teacher hits back at parent who complained about child who got zero in maths test

97 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Oleg57 said:

They treat a teacher as a servant

I've no experience of the 'better' schools so you make a point that is new to me. But where I presently live the opposite applies. The teachers think they are god's gift and the kids are there for their benefit. The teaching is also quite appalling.

By the way Oleg57 your post was an excellent read but it would have read better with a paragraph or two. Maybe that's just the English in me. If paragraphs are not used in Germany please forgive my ignorance.  

On 5/20/2017 at 7:30 AM, missoura said:

In 99’ I held the position as an ‘ajarn’ at a prestigious Bangkok university.Class attendance for students was a possible option. If a student was a TV star or the latest monthly model then class was not necessary. Other occasional or no-show students included the football team, other sport teams, the seemingly daily special university activity to celebrate something, rich kids, not feeling well, didn’t have a car excuse, traffic jams and the list goes on. Had a student show up for the final exam. Which was fantastic, I finally got to meet him. He got a zero.

But not for the course. There was a committee (that I was not on) to determine the final grade for each class. No idea why. In the end, this one day student received an A for the course. 

I also taught a few graduate classes at a large Thailand university. Same, same…

i hope young wannabe teachers here read this

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Oleg57 said:

I used to teach science and English in a Thai school. Once, I have destroyed a quiz of one girl that was openly coping answers from her friend quiz. She was also insisting that I have to count her previous quiz that was also a copy. I have told to her and to others that quizzes of anybody who was cheating and got caught red handed will be not counted. I mean - they would get a 0 mark. Later on a major of the school got shouting on me that I should not do so and such quizzes have to be counted too. Two days later I tried to speak with her politely and convince her that such practice cannot be tolerated at any school. She replied that cheating is a part of Thai culture and as a foreigner I understand nothing. And if I want to teach pupils honesty and decency I have to return to Germany and to teach in there. So, I replied - OK, I am not going to waste my time in such a school and will quit end of semester. It costed me some money, sure. My fellow teachers told me so that I have to take all easy and those who are cheating are hurting themselves. So, if I want to teach in Thailand I have to except cheating and dishonesty. Well, as I wrote above I just do not want to waste my time and to spoil kids. It was a class for kids from more prosperous parents as the education fee was 40 thousand Thai Baht per year.  Poor kids are much better. I like them. But the spoiled rich kids are sometimes a nightmare. They treat a teacher as a servant and may shouting on me demanding higher score, for example. The experience was quit disgusting. But at least I understand Thai elite better. I mean kids of rich parents get to the elite. Others have no chance. This is not Germany after all.

"I used to teach science and English"

:-(

33 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

"I used to teach science and English"

I know your where you are on this muzmurray. I've read the piece a couple of times and it's easy to pick holes in the grammar. But at least it is readable and understandable!

For me, the beauty of a good forum is not only debate but member's personal experiences; and this we got.

Some of the posts on Tvisa read as though the poster had just returned from the bar, is ready for bed and can't be bothered to put in any decent contribution.

8 hours ago, diehard60 said:

I have to agree with the teacher here. But were the students told at the beginning of the year that they could fail if they don't do the work or at least try.

they should not have to be told, it should be the policy but unfortunately it is not

20 hours ago, Moti24 said:

At last!  A Thai teacher that's got the guts to speak-out against the system.

Now although I've copied the above I am going to use the quote in a different context.

A pal of mine was dismissed from his position, as an English teacher, at a school in K-------pi, Udon Thani. His 'crime' was refusing to agree to his students getting on their hands and knees and praising him. He wanted just a handshake from each. He was compensated by the way.

"Humans get off your knees"; to quote a famous voice. Not got the message here yet. Probably never!!

40 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Now although I've copied the above I am going to use the quote in a different context.

A pal of mine was dismissed from his position, as an English teacher, at a school in K-------pi, Udon Thani. His 'crime' was refusing to agree to his students getting on their hands and knees and praising him. He wanted just a handshake from each. He was compensated by the way.

"Humans get off your knees"; to quote a famous voice. Not got the message here yet. Probably never!

My post was about the current education system.  Your pal's altercation was about local school rules, although I suspect that you are unaware of the full facts.

Your comment wasn't in context to the real problem, just the tip of the iceberg.  If you want to see all, as your user name suggests, you will have to teach in a Thai school.

10 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

My post was about the current education system.  Your pal's altercation was about local school rules, although I suspect that you are unaware of the full facts.

Your comment wasn't in context to the real problem, just the tip of the iceberg.  If you want to see all, as your user name suggests, you will have to teach in a Thai school.

I read your post and I did say in the first line; and I quote

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I'm not disagreeing with you about your post and I like a lot of the copy. I'm simply putting forward a little anecdote.

Actually I am very much informed about the 'full facts' of the case to which I was referring.

Edited by owl sees all

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I know your where you are on this muzmurray. I've read the piece a couple of times and it's easy to pick holes in the grammar. But at least it is readable and understandable!

For me, the beauty of a good forum is not only debate but member's personal experiences; and this we got.

Some of the posts on Tvisa read as though the poster had just returned from the bar, is ready for bed and can't be bothered to put in any decent contribution.

Common, English is not my mother tongue. I see myself some wrongs in sentences. Did not care to check. However, it is easier for Thai and even to native speakers to understand me than some Americans who are mumbling words and use slang in conversation. Native speakers can be of great help for advanced students. Not for an ordinal Thai school. And as you said, sharing of experience matters. Grammar probably not so much. Cheers

What is muzmurray, BTW

Edited by Oleg57
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

By the way Oleg57 your post was an excellent read but it would have read better with a paragraph or two. Maybe that's just the English in me. If paragraphs are not used in Germany please forgive my ignorance.

Carry on the good work Sir. As I've often said forums are not only about debate but member's personal experiences.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:47 AM, yardrunner said:

and now they are changing the rules to reflect the correct exam results and about time

One teacher out of 500.000, doe"s not make "CHANGE".............LOL

6 minutes ago, KBsinter said:

Is that how many teachers there are in Thailand? Wow!

An acorn grows into a big oak tree. Hopefuily!!

pretty soon the thai ed system will need some sort of auditing mechanism authenticating passing on the next grade

15 hours ago, KBsinter said:

but you have to start somewhere