Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
smo

Where was/am I?... Chiang Rai for newbie

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yooyoo said:

You will be impressed with Chiang Rai if you come from Bangok....less traffic....but avoid a restaurant called melt in your mouth...the most arrogant management I ever experienced makes the food stuck in  your throat...

yes, that was my worst experience in Chiangrai too.

Edited by orchis
sp.

"I think I will have to spend sometime at BigC, Central and the like to get a feel of local farang life."

I do think that is a bit peculiar.

I actually think post number 2 was helpful.  

If it was me asking, I would have said 'thank you', and asked more questions if I felt anything was left unanswered.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Heads up! ThaiVisa has lots of nasty members. But some decent ones too. 

Expect to get beat up by a few. 

Enjoy CR. 

Can you please explain what I said that could be taken out of context or be considered nasty.

I was polite, I offered advice and the location he was seeking.

Explanation please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yooyoo said:

You will be impressed with Chiang Rai if you come from Bangok....less traffic....but avoid a restaurant called melt in your mouth...the most arrogant management I ever experienced makes the food stuck in  your throat...

You are lucky you were served. last time we went, they decided not to serve us as we were the only ones there and they did not feel like opening the kitchens for two people. Plenty of other great restaurants.

3 hours ago, Flustered said:

Can you please explain what I said that could be taken out of context or be considered nasty.

I was polite, I offered advice and the location he was seeking.

Explanation please.

May be its because your from Yorkshire :-) 

• Like 2

On 2017-5-23 at 3:15 AM, smo said:

I declared myself a newbie didn't I, which I thought would allow me some slack in not knowing what is where/where is what. I'm not asking for a warm welcome from local expats, I only hoped for some common COURTESY and GENEROSITY such as one can expect when asking another fellow human being in the street for direction: "How far am I from the bus terminal? the clock tower, etc?" I guess such inquiry when put forth to your school of behavior would elicit this kind of response: "Oh gosh, can't you read your google map?"

Just going back over this as I was puzzled.I took time to check out your posting history.

Newbie? you have been a member since 2004, you have made many posts commenting quiet a lot on various subjects and showing a knowledge of Thailand, forums and the internet. Also, you seem to enjoy "arguing" with other FMs.

Definitely a wind up and others actually believed you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neeray said:

Heads up! ThaiVisa has lots of nasty members. But some decent ones too. 

Expect to get beat up by a few. 

Enjoy CR. 

Some "nasty members" have more experience sniffing out trolls than you.  Don't be so gullible.

• Like 1

Chiang Rai for the Newbie

Seems our "Newbie" has been to Chiang Rai district before and many other places. A very well travelled  expat in Thailand with decent knowledge of using Google if you read his past posts.

Here he is in 2016 offering advice on where to stay in Chiang Rai district.

1.       In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo posted a topic in Chiang Rai Forum

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque).The lakefront promenade is the main draw of the region, one review even described it as having a western vibe - which makes me think of a mini version of Lake Leman or Como. There is one hotel that commands the best view of the lake. One single price for all the rooms however, so if you're lucky there will be a front room (looking out to the lake) available, if not they will put you in one of the rooms in the back, where you'll spend your entire stay seething with envy against those lucky ones staying in the front rooms. Advanced booking is therefore highly recommended. I was surfing on...

o     July 27, 2016

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo replied to smo's topic in Chiang Rai Forum

you're absolutely right, ken (clack, clack that's the sound of my left brain nodding!) okay, folks, tada it's Phayao! My genie Google found it for me on travelfish.org (not booking.com): "...This is as close to the Cote D’Azur as it gets in north Thailand and looking out over the lake, with hazy, blue mountains in the background and traditional wooden fishing boats in the fore, there’s also something of a mini-Inle Lake look to it too." ripstanley was right, there is no pittoresque town on the other side. My dream state - as astutely observed by kenk24 - was roaming the swiss side of lac ouchy looking over to the french town vichy on the other side... And the same-rate hotel is: Kwan Phayao Jumjai Homestay ...

When someone knows how to up load quality pictures into a forum not known for it user friendly links and in the main photo is the name of the Wat just by the road he was staying at and he asks "where was I staying?" of course you question the sincerity of the OP, especially as he admits knowing how to surf,  use Google and speaks Thai.

I tried to help on the assumption he was a genuine "newbie" and in return got bitten by a troll along with others who supported him.

I rest my case.

I found this town a semi industrial place. The most interesting place I was shown was the Queen Mothers Gardens somewhere outside the city up in the hills. One of the most beautiful places I have seen. Otherwise go up to the Mekong River....very impressive for its vast size, but not close.

From what I have read, it's filling up with same banal and opinionated twerps you find in most of Thailand's lackluster, parochial provincial backwaters.

Looks nice though.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, bazza73 said:

Big C's Food Park is quite good for low-cost food. The food at Central Festival's Food Park is quite ordinary. Although there are more of the upmarket restaurants there. There is a good Spanish restaurant coming out of Chiang Rai just before the turnoff to Thoeng/Home Pro, fairly expensive by Thai standards.

It's difficult to know what the OP would like in terms of sight-seeing, if he didn't like the White Temple and Singha Park. There's the Black House north of the city, Doi Mae Salong, Doi Ang Khan, Doi Chan, Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Saen. A hint - go to the sights on weekdays, not weekends as  there are thousands of Thais then.

First time I went to White temple I loved it. Went back few days ago and hated it, as it's just a zoo now, with hundreds ?thousands of tourists trudging through it for the few minutes they are allowed to take some selfies. Awful.

I checked out the Black house and it seems like somewhere nice to go, as long as it too isn't overwhelmed with tourists.

I'm not saying tourists shouldn't be able to see them, but rushing through and taking a few selfies is not appreciating the beauty.

I don't know how to change that, given the tourist industry and C R being otherwise so devoid of tourist attractions.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:48 AM, Flustered said:

Chiang Rai for the Newbie

Seems our "Newbie" has been to Chiang Rai district before and many other places. A very well travelled  expat in Thailand with decent knowledge of using Google if you read his past posts.

Here he is in 2016 offering advice on where to stay in Chiang Rai district.

1.       In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo posted a topic in Chiang Rai Forum

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque).The lakefront promenade is the main draw of the region, one review even described it as having a western vibe - which makes me think of a mini version of Lake Leman or Como. There is one hotel that commands the best view of the lake. One single price for all the rooms however, so if you're lucky there will be a front room (looking out to the lake) available, if not they will put you in one of the rooms in the back, where you'll spend your entire stay seething with envy against those lucky ones staying in the front rooms. Advanced booking is therefore highly recommended. I was surfing on...

o     July 27, 2016

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo replied to smo's topic in Chiang Rai Forum

you're absolutely right, ken (clack, clack that's the sound of my left brain nodding!) okay, folks, tada it's Phayao! My genie Google found it for me on travelfish.org (not booking.com): "...This is as close to the Cote D’Azur as it gets in north Thailand and looking out over the lake, with hazy, blue mountains in the background and traditional wooden fishing boats in the fore, there’s also something of a mini-Inle Lake look to it too." ripstanley was right, there is no pittoresque town on the other side. My dream state - as astutely observed by kenk24 - was roaming the swiss side of lac ouchy looking over to the french town vichy on the other side... And the same-rate hotel is: Kwan Phayao Jumjai Homestay ...

When someone knows how to up load quality pictures into a forum not known for it user friendly links and in the main photo is the name of the Wat just by the road he was staying at and he asks "where was I staying?" of course you question the sincerity of the OP, especially as he admits knowing how to surf,  use Google and speaks Thai.

I tried to help on the assumption he was a genuine "newbie" and in return got bitten by a troll along with others who supported him.

I rest my case.

Not answering your input, but as Phayao was brought up, I liked the place. If one gets away from the big road and down by the lake it's very pleasant. It's one of the few places I've been that they are actually spending money making the environment better, though the roads are insane.

Don't know that I'd like to live there though- bit boring.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, Flustered said:

You are lucky you were served. last time we went, they decided not to serve us as we were the only ones there and they did not feel like opening the kitchens for two people. Plenty of other great restaurants.

I don't blame them for that. They are running a business and it would probably cost more to open the kitchen than the profit from the meal. As you say, plenty of other restaurants around.

What gets me about Thai restaurants is that even pricier ones never seem to get that an entre should be served before the main course, not after.