Jump to content
Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Ozfatboy

Hat Yai City Safety Advice

Recommended Posts

Thought I would see if any locals can give me some advice.

 

I am an expat living in Bangkok and need to come to Hat Yai next month for ten days for the National Games and a little concerned about safety issues. Most of the Western Embassies say "Do Not Travel" into Songkhla and other Provinces in the Red Zone.

 

I know Hat Yai falls within this area and was wondering is it safe in the city. I know, no matter where you are, you can never really be sure but I don't want to put myself at any undue risk if the situation is not great down there.

 

Any advice and tips from local expats would be gladly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hat Yai will be fine.....National games, Sports?  You're not going out to the outside the amphur muang, so fine... like anything don't go walking down a dark alley.  Lots of good western food down there.  Where is the stadium?  The Amphur or at PSU?

 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to Hat Yai many times, last time was a couple of months ago.

 

Never a problem, nice place, friendly locals and one humongously large shopping centre just outside the city.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hat Yai is fine, I have lived here for 7 years.

 

There are token security checks on entering car parks or malls which are pretty ineffective but maybe off putting. 

 

You have more chance of being run over by some local pickup driving clown or flood than seeing any insurgency action.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rhys said:

Hat Yai will be fine.....National games, Sports?  You're not going out to the outside the amphur muang, so fine... like anything don't go walking down a dark alley.  Lots of good western food down there.  Where is the stadium?  The Amphur or at PSU?

 

 

Cheers

While I tend to agree Hatyai is relatively safe, especially if you like the smell of cordite in the morning, but I wonder where the "Lots of good western food down there" is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Watch out for 10 year old kids zipping around on scooters at 100 KPH and you'll be fine.  

 

They're 100x more likely to kill you than any insurgent.  But they don't get the headlines...

 

Edited by impulse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Thai government advises not to travel in the districts of Thepha, Saba Yoi, Chana and Na Thawi, the rest of Songhkla province is declared as safe. Only in the above mentioned districts martial law is in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all who replied, that helps a lot, I look forward to visiting a new city!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, smotherb said:

While I tend to agree Hatyai is relatively safe, especially if you like the smell of cordite in the morning, but I wonder where the "Lots of good western food down there" is. 

Yea, I like to know too.I live down there and have not seen any western food,There's something that looks a bit like it But not edible. 

No trouble with cordite smell Haven't had a bomb here since 2012.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As all have said above, Hat Yai is fine, indeed given the situation to the south of us, and the consequent increase in security added police and army on the streets, it's probably a lot safer than many other places in Thailand. As also pointed out the probability of being killed by a bomb down here is likely less than winning the lottery, traffic accidents are a far greater and real danger.

 

There is some great food down here, both Asian and Western, take a read through the food topic pinned at the top of the forum page.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Yea, I like to know too.I live down there and have not seen any western food,There's something that looks a bit like it But not edible. 

No trouble with cordite smell Haven't had a bomb here since 2012.

The only western food in Hatyai, is a picture in a book.....at your local Newsagent....:cheesy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Yea, I like to know too.I live down there and have not seen any western food,There's something that looks a bit like it But not edible. 

No trouble with cordite smell Haven't had a bomb here since 2012.

I have lived in Hatyai for almost eleven years. There are a few western restaurants, but even fewer which are tolerable. However, the lack of westerners in Hatyai speaks to the lack of western food places.

 

You have overlooked the two bombs in 2016 in Songkhla--about 25kms away--and the three bombs in Hatyai in 2014. We also have our fair share of murders by gun and just last week a yayhoo rode his scooter by a bar in which I was seated and fired what looked like a .45 auto several times aimlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, smotherb said:

bombs in 2016 in Songkhla

They were south of the military check point, down in Thepa, that's getting to bandit country. As for the 3 Hat Yai  IEDs back in 2014 they did little damage but wounded eight, Given there have been more recent bombings in Bangkok, Hua Hin, Trang, Surat Thani and Phuket then Hat Yai is no more dangerous than anywhere else in Thailand, however given we've more security personnel on the streets it's probably safer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Stocky said:

They were south of the military check point, down in Thepa, that's getting to bandit country. As for the 3 Hat Yai  IEDs back in 2014 they did little damage but wounded eight, Given there have been more recent bombings in Bangkok, Hua Hin, Trang, Surat Thani and Phuket then Hat Yai is no more dangerous than anywhere else in Thailand, however given we've more security personnel on the streets it's probably safer.

Read my initial post, I did not say Hatyai was particularly dangerous, I live there. However, another poster said the last bomb there was 2012, I refuted that statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Relax. You and I both know where it was, but many people when they see Songkhla just think of Songkhla Town, not the province. 

 

.

Edited by Stocky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 13 December 2017 04:29
Sponsors
×