Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
Ozfatboy

Hat Yai City Safety Advice

phuketsub    459
On 25/5/2560 at 5:23 PM, Stocky said:

Relax. You and I both know where it was, but many people when they see Songkhla just think of Songkhla Town, not the province. 

Your point really resonates with me. The name of the province should be associated with the province first, at least as far as the inner wiring of my brain works. It is not uncommon to be in Phuket, Songkhla or any other province and then see a road sign indicating the way to the province that you are already in.

I have done some research on this over the years and it turns out the 'distances' shown of roadside signs doesn't indicate the distance to the province, muang district line, municipal border, or anything else that the Western mind might presuppose. Rather it is the distance to a specific provincial pillar at provincial hall. It is almost as frustrating as the way street addresses are meted out....

lemonjelly    4,056

The most dangerous thing about Hat Yai are the pedestrian unfriendly junctions in the center.

phuketsub    459
13 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

The most dangerous thing about Hat Yai are the pedestrian unfriendly junctions in the center.

Yup. I was hobbling around there cane-in-sweaty-hand the other day. That intersection at Saphan Dum is very intimidating, and the traffic makes the motorists desperate to get through the next light change.

lemonjelly    4,056
54 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

Yup. I was hobbling around there cane-in-sweaty-hand the other day. That intersection at Saphan Dum is very intimidating, and the traffic makes the motorists desperate to get through the next light change.

The problem with hat yai is the cross junctions with pedestrian crossings where the traffic lights allow no time for the pedestrians to actually use the pedestrian crossings..... dodge n run is the only way to cross. 

Stocky    399

You do get a countdown these days, so you can better time your run. 

Stocky    399
Posted (edited)

You should write a review for the pinned food topic in this forum, then it won't get lost.

I've not tried the Basil as I've heard mixed reviews. Maybe we'll give it a go.

Edited by Stocky