Mobi

It’s Mobi from Blighty! – 2 June 2017

Like any country, going to the UK as a tourist is very different from living there. Take trains for example – I bought a senior railcard which gives me 33% off the fares, and if you book in advance, check out the best routes and avoid rush hours, the prices are remarkably cheap. For example, to visit my brother in Tonbridge, Kent from Oakham is about double the price if I take the train from Oakham to London, rather than taking a free bus to Peterborough and going from there. I have plenty of time so it's no bother and I have found the buses and trains nearly always bang on time.

So for the first 6 months, I relied totally on public transport and managed to get around really well, with free buses and low train fares.

Now I have nice little 2nd hand Peugeot 107, with only £20 annual car tax and amazing petrol consumption I reckon will be even cheaper than public transport. when my family gets here. Good used cars are really cheap here – unlike Thailand. Even fully comp motor insurance to include a Thai wife with Thai licence and zero no claims bonus didn't break the bank.

Although I have been to London on earlier trips here with my wife, I have avoided London so far this time around and I don't miss it. I much prefer rural or semi-rural England in the Midlands or north. Oakham suits me fine but I may end up somewhere in the nearby countryside – depends on what I can find in the way of house rentals.

It's only a 40-minute drive to Leicester, and even nearer to Stamford, Peterborough or Corby. I might even end up in the Birmingham suburbs near my other daughter who lives there. Birmingham isn't at all bad and they have lovely green suburbs packed with lovely parks.

And of course, the huge plus is the NHS. Don't believe all the bad press, it's still pretty awesome and has taken care of my many medical conditions, including a recent stay in hospital, really well. I have no complaints. I dread to think where I would be now if I had spent the last 9 months in Thailand – almost certainly dead –or broke - or both!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 5:33 PM, Mobi said:

I did hope that a nice little friendly debate here in the home country forum would be free of unprovoked, and unfriendly cyber-bullying. Sadly I was wrong. <snip>

I'm not from the UK but having followed Mobi blogs, have enjoyed the natural progression into this chapter about moving back.  There's a common thread of interest from the "boots on the ground" perspective, dispelling hyperbole and rants about how terrible it all is.  

Good luck on your new chapter in life, and on getting wife and kid over.