Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
SunsetT

Implications of a retirement visa for Winter visits only.

I have been wintering for 6 months in Thailand (early October to early April)  for many years on Tourist visas but I will be UK retired at 65 before next Winter. I wish to continue this routine but am now weighing up my visa options and contemplating getting an extension of stay based on  retirement, or whatever you call it. I  am aware of the financial requirements but I would like advice please on the implications and complications of doing this in my situation, e.g., the best time to apply for it after I arrive in October to avoid its annual renewal, which Im told falls slightly earlier every year, falling while I am in the UK during the Summer, or whether, if it did, it could/would be delayed anyway until I returned to Thailand in October. Also would a 1k thb 'leave of absence', I forget what its officially called, cover my 6 mths in the UK? Also would holding this retirement status in Thailand make me'officially'  ineligible for UK pension increases or would I have to hide this from the UK authorities?

As other alternatives to SETVs or an METV, can I now at 65 apply and get each year either a multiple-entry 'O' or 'O-A' Non-immigrant visa from London, or do they only issue single-entry visas to convert to retirement?

All relevant info. and good advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Im looking forward to advice as im doing the same thing but from the united states. If i get a retirement visa or longstay oa visa here, that becomes effective in october when i arrive, it will expire before i return again the following october.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I believe I will soon be doing a similar type of thing.  Do the retirement extension, leave Thailand for a hop over to Cambodia after 88 days, then back to Thailand for another 88 or so, then back to the States.  So basically be in country about 6 months of each year, but leaving before 90 days would mean I would not have to do the 90 day reporting, which to me is a pain. Get a re-entry permit for the first 88 days or, maybe a multi re-entry permit.  The devil is in the details.

I will be doing the income verification method.  My understanding is as long as I get back to Thailand before the one year extension has expire from when I first got it, it will be simpler to extend it another year, instead of starting the visa over again each time.  My thoughts anyways

• Like 1

Depends - as usual.

Personally I found that having a retirement visa is easier than getting a multi entry tourist or non-O visa - and now it seems to be impossible to get a multi entry visa.

Assuming you are here for more than  90 days then:

Benefits -

• no cost of the visa (saving around 4,000 Baht), but you do need to pay 1,900 extension and 1000 re-enty fee.
  • you do not need to do a border run, but have to go to immigration for one day each year.
  • proof of income or 800,000 in the Bank, depends if you can afford the 800,000. I went that way after having to pay UK government some 2,500 for a letter for a few years. Bank deposit is easier and cheaper. Of course you can lose (or gain) on the exchange rate. Other nationalities find the letter easier than UK nationals.
  • 90 day reporting by post is a doddle and the internet version appears to be up again.
  • if they change the rules it is unlikely they will cancel the retirement visa but could make long stay on a tourist visa harder.

But (and this is big) make sure you extension renewal date is convenient. I came on a double O visa, when on the 2nd one I did the conversion to retirement so my renewal is mid February. Since you can do it 45 days before and I am always in Thailand January February I have no problems

(I know I have used the wrong phrase for lots of things but I think everyone knows what I mean)

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

As other alternatives to SETVs or an METV, can I now at 65 apply and get each year either a multiple-entry 'O' or 'O-A' Non-immigrant visa from London, or do they only issue single-entry visas to convert to retirement?

• If you are in receipt of state pension getting a ME Non 'O' is very easy to get, but you will have to leave/re-enter every 90 days.
  • If you have the equivalent of 800K in the bank in the UK or an income greater than 65K you can get a ME Non 'O-A', but you will need to have a medical and police check done too, The advantage to this visa will be no border runs and if you time next years entry before the visa expires you'll get two visits to Thailand from this visa.
  • If you are only going to be living in Thousand for 6 months per year I wouldn't bother with an extension of stay as it might be difficult to time the renewals each year, and you have to tie up 800K in Thailand or provide proof of income greater than 65K or a combo of the two.

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Also would holding this retirement status in Thailand make me'officially'  ineligible for UK pension increases or would I have to hide this from the UK authorities?

You don't really have 'retirement status' as such. It is a 1 year permit to stay that must be renewed each year. I don't know, but I would have thought that if you are in the UK for 6 months per year it would have no affect on your state pension etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I for example, have a monthly pension from the U.S. that I sent by direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank account every month from the U.S Social Security (old age pension).

i use exactly the same process; works well; that account was harder to setup tho

BUT being out of UK for a period of six months would mean no yearly increase in pension along with other things RULES tightened up and made to fleece the expats..

1 hour ago, james6 said:

BUT being out of UK for a period of six months would mean no yearly increase in pension along with other things RULES tightened up and made to fleece the expats..

The last pension increase was 3 quid a week, not worth worrying about.

56 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It will be a worry if they strip expats of their personal tax allowance, they looked at it already. That would reduce income of pensioners by 20% on all income

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Maybe not for one year, but over say 10 years that will have compounded up to over 40 quid a week.  Certainly enough for a good night out (or in!!)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • If you are in receipt of state pension getting a ME Non 'O' is very easy to get, but you will have to leave/re-enter every 90 days.
  • If you have the equivalent of 800K in the bank in the UK or an income greater than 65K you can get a ME Non 'O-A', but you will need to have a medical and police check done too, The advantage to this visa will be no border runs and if you time next years entry before the visa expires you'll get two visits to Thailand from this visa.
  • If you are only going to be living in Thousand for 6 months per year I wouldn't bother with an extension of stay as it might be difficult to time the renewals each year, and you have to tie up 800K in Thailand or provide proof of income greater than 65K or a combo of the two.

You can get an OA non immigration visa.. multiple entry.. come and go as you like... apply in your own country.. no $$ required in Thailand..  if you time it right you can leave the country and return just before the first year is up and get another full year.. but you loose your re-entries.. if you want to go out and come back in the 2nd year you have to buy a re-entry.. 1k Bt.. I think...  I have been doing this for years from Australia..