BANGKOK 13 November 2018 12:33
Moonmoon

Advice Needed. Tires. Bridgestone vs Dunlop vs Toyo vs Yokohama

Hi TVers,

I just bought a 2017 Fortuner and I would like to change my RIMs to the TRD Sportivo 20.

My OEM's are 18'' and Tires are from Bridgestone.

I am offered the TRD Sportivo RIMs with standard Dunlop 20''

for an extra 10,000THB I can upgrade to Toyo or Yokohama's Tires

Which Tires should I go for? Dunlop with no extra cost? or Toyo or Yokohama?

Thanks for the advice 

fortuner.jpg

trd rims.jpg

• Like 1

Just bought Dunlop for my bike. 1/2 the price of Pirelli & Michelin's etc.

Car tyres are all the same IMO some wear out quicker, some are quiet on road all that's important is the correct pressure.

• Like 2

I am trying to find information on google but all i got are reviews from online magazines or the company themselves.

Would prefer real experience from the drivers and motorist 

• Like 2

I heard Continental is the best. But 20inch for fortuner will be lower profile so tyre might not be as durable. Why not stick to 18 and change the rims? You can still use the factory fitted Tires which are quite new.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Would prefer real experience from the drivers and motorist 

I'm a experience car user too and personally l wouldn't pay 10,000 extra for tyres in Thailand the charges for the other makes are because they are not made in Thailand.

If you go for other makes check the manufacture dates.

23 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

My OEM's are 18'' and Tires are from Bridgestone.

Again personally for ride comfort l'd stay with them.

• Like 1

People have reported that Bridgestones harden up here over time....Which was also a problem we found in the US with them when the climate went from snow in the winter to hot summers....Winter performance got slippery....

I wanted Michelin tires but an unpleasant sales guy made me not want to buy from him....

I bought a set of Yokohama Geolanders instead....

They've performed well enough that we now have them on 2 vehicles (suv's).....They are evidently made here which takes away any applicable import taxes....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I heard Continental is the best. But 20inch for fortuner will be lower profile so tyre might not be as durable. Why not stick to 18 and change the rims? You can still use the factory fitted Tires which are quite new.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The TRD's sportivo rims for this model comes only in 20inch. 

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

They are evidently made here which takes away any applicable import taxes....

So why do they want to charge OP 10,000 baht extra don't makes sense in anyway shape or tyre form.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm a experience car user too and personally l wouldn't pay 10,000 extra for tyres in Thailand the charges for the other makes are because they are not made in Thailand.

If you go for other makes check the manufacture dates.

Again personally for ride comfort l'd stay with them.

I am offered brand new tires which have never touched the road b4 according to the sales rep. He will let me check the manufactured dates.

right now Personally I am quite comfortable with my OEMS and Tires as well. My WIFE WANTS THE SPORTY LOOK so she wants me to change them. She is paying for the RIMS LOL woohooo!

• Like 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

So why do they want to charge OP 10,000 baht extra don't makes sense in anyway shape or tyre form.

according to the sales, the Dunlops are standard tires, but the Yoko's and Toyo's are of a premium grade. 

Are there different grades within the brands itself? like Yoko maybe have standard to premium grade tires. Should I ask for more info on the "premium" grade tires offered so everyone can kindly help me decide :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

I am offered brand new tires which have never touched the road b4 according to the sales rep. He will let me check the manufactured dates.

right now Personally I am quite comfortable with my OEMS and Tires as well. My WIFE WANTS THE SPORTY LOOK so she wants me to change them. She is paying for the RIMS LOL woohooo!

OK l'll bail out of this thread,   as they say here " up to you "  :biggrin:

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK l'll bail out of this thread,   as they say here " up to you "  :biggrin:

why? Kawasaki you have been helpful so far! thanks for the advice you have given me. appreciate it :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm gonna get the popcorn out, because at the end of this thread the OP will have had more brands suggested as he even asked for, and be more confused than ever.

I only have 3 options. Dunlop, Toyo and Yoko's. There definitely alot in the Market. My present Brio went from a Michelin (lasted almost 4years) to a cheaper

Goodyear. Honestly I feel they are the same. 

As this Fortuner is my 2nd Car. I still don't have much experience with regards to this. So any advice is sincerely welcomed. 

Edited by Moonmoon
  • Like 1