Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
webfact

High speed not the only risk with railway

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, carlyai said:

Maybe sit in the back carriages?

They seem to keep airport runways clear of somtam sellers and golfers, so they can do it.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Airports (International) are required to be secure...fenced completely with surveylence

Edited by ChrisY1

The SRT can't even manage to keep their tired, old, super slow trains on the rails, many derailings each year....would you risk your life on a Thai operated high speed railway ?

As long as China makes the high speed rail with no ground level crossings anywhere in the country

the rail will be okay. I have been on the hight speed rail in China and think they know how to build

rails and roadways very well. I was most impressed in China seeing its major highways.

Geezer

I haven't seen the technical details of this proposed project, and I'm not sure anyone in the public has, as yet. But...

1. I'd seriously doubt they're planning a rail line of this length that would have NO ground-level crossings. But I sure wish they could manage that.

2. Apart from whomever builds the system, there's also the follow-on issues of who's going to operate and maintain it... the same guys who crashed their two SRT trains together at Hua Lamphong this past week?

• Like 2

In the BP it is reported that as part of promoting Thai Chinese cooperation the Thais are going to give the Chinese lessons in ethics and safety.

This is a silly idea, always has been, always will be. A bit like the Express Line service of the SARL, too expensive, sparse schedule, no one took it, gone and replaced with City Line service.

Who will take a HSR between Khorat and Bangkok if the ticket costs 1,500 THB and there are only two or three trains per day? 

Regarding China's rapid rail expansion, that did not come without some serious issues...

Boss Rail

The disaster that exposed the underside of the boom.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/10/22/boss-rail

China ex-rail boss gets suspended death sentence for corruption

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/asia-pacific/china-ex-rail-boss-gets-suspended-death-sentence-for-corruption

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

What's wrong with China building high speed rail in Thailand?

There has been no proven economic viability to the project. Article 44 cut off planned economic studies.

Why would such studies be important before starting this project?

Prayut says it's because of "national security."

For the Thai taxpayer it's certainty that the project not only generates sufficient revenues to service project procurement and maintenance costs but also to build a sufficient sinking fund to cover costs for retrofits and upgrades. Economic failure will mean long-term negative cashflow that will have to be covered by higher taxes on Thai taxpayers and/or cuts in social/welfare programs. Ordinarily, if a project fails to produce adequate revenues, an owner (the Thai government in this case) could license the technology or use it for additional national projects to cover project shortfall. But Thailand will not get access to Chinese train technology.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

as a train guy ,i take every opportunity to watch them either at staions or in the yards or on the road,and i personally feel thailands trains are perfect for their user...most who ride the trains are locals with some tourists(as a novelty),i hope this wont be another (lets keep up with the jones),destroy land to build a new roadbed type deal,only then to realize (wow this does not meet our needs)..

I thought that all Thai's were supposed to use cars - and the ones that can't afford to drive can fly.