Jump to content
Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 December 2018 11:18
webfact

Could Gulf of Thailand to Andaman train become a reality?

Recommended Posts

Could Gulf of Thailand to Andaman train become a reality?

 

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is proposing to build a train connection that would join the Gulf of Thailand with the Andaman Sea.

 

The 125 kilometer line would run from Chumporn in the East to Ranong in the West.

 

Transport authorities have contacted three consultancy firms to put together a feasibility study to investigate whether the project is worthwhile.

 

Findings are expected to be reported by February said Wilairat Sirisophonsin.

 

Thirty million baht is being spent on the study that involves companies Asian Engineering Consultants, Infraplus Consulting and Enrich Consultants.

 

The idea is part of a 20 year master plan to improve transport infrastructure in Thailand.

 

The possibility of freight movement between the two seas could be a major boon for the economy of Thailand, reported Daily News.

 

Plans for a canal linking the Gulf and Andaman - known previously as the Kra Isthmus project - has been mooted many times over the last several decades but has never got off the ground.

 

A train may prove to be a more realistic plan.

 

Source: Daily News

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-28
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets finish the link to the deep sea port in Myanmar through Mae Sot first.

Please do not give the "Boss" any more ideas about trains   (they will bankrupt the country before it is finished)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2017 at 8:05 AM, webfact said:

investigate whether the project is worthwhile

If the Chinese either invest in it or loan funds, no investigation will be necessary.

Frankly, Prayut should give priority to internal rail projects such as the connection of the Gulf of Thailand to the Andaman Sea than international projects such as the Chinese dual rail project.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like a lot better plan compared to the high speed disaster,go for it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First basic question; metre gauge to tie into the Thai rail system allowing much faster export of Thai produce to EU, or standard gauge for eventual hookup to hi-speed? Or dual-gauge track for both?

 

Second basic question; does Ranong have port facilities to handle the volume required? If not, is there the potential to increase to that level?

 

Third basic question; what happened to the Myanmar link that was aimed at the same result?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There already is a Thai train to the Andaman Sea, it runs to Trang, branching-off the main-line at Thung Song.

 

And IIRC they also started a line from Surat Thani across to Phuket, but it only got as far as Khirri Ratthanikhom, don't know why they stopped ?

 

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=south+thailand+railways+map&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&imgil=N0lbIgCxQwku0M%3A%3BJy3uXX3tuNQNSM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thailandtrains.com%252Fthailand-train-map%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=N0lbIgCxQwku0M%3A%2CJy3uXX3tuNQNSM%2C_&usg=__zSxQFFdUq1Kr-q5MGTSonzHO-M4%3D&biw=1366&bih=659&ved=0ahUKEwiZlZWbl-LUAhXGfLwKHRA2BDUQyjcIQQ&ei=M31UWdmvB8b58QWQ7JCoAw#imgrc=WikzeTgs95en6M:

 

Edited by Ricardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, halloween said:

First basic question; metre gauge to tie into the Thai rail system allowing much faster export of Thai produce to EU, or standard gauge for eventual hookup to hi-speed? Or dual-gauge track for both?

 

Second basic question; does Ranong have port facilities to handle the volume required? If not, is there the potential to increase to that level?

 

Third basic question; what happened to the Myanmar link that was aimed at the same result?

No need for any questions, the Chinese will take care of the details and the Generals will collect the commissions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Dawei Special Economic Zone ready for the trains? Last heard they had hard time finding investors. There were lots of criticisms from the oppositions when Samak signed the MOU to develop the special zone. Looks like the junta is now buying in to its potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Is the Dawei Special Economic Zone ready for the trains? Last heard they had hard time finding investors. There were lots of criticisms from the oppositions when Samak signed the MOU to develop the special zone. Looks like the junta is now buying in to its potential. 

You've never been to Ranong? It is in Thailand, not Myanmar. Between it and the lower edge of the Dawei zone there is a substantial body of water, inconvenient for trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, halloween said:

You've never been to Ranong? It is in Thailand, not Myanmar. Between it and the lower edge of the Dawei zone there is a substantial body of water, inconvenient for trains.

So why can they not just use the Dawei-LeamChabang route. What is this new route going to do? Not to mention the rather large hills and national parks which these routes would seemingly have to navigate. Also no deep sea ports in either location, incidentally locations 500 km from the nearest industrial hubs which are required for deep sea ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

So why can they not just use the Dawei-LeamChabang route. What is this new route going to do? Not to mention the rather large hills and national parks which these routes would seemingly have to navigate. Also no deep sea ports in either location, incidentally locations 500 km from the nearest industrial hubs which are required for deep sea ports.

I asked the same questions in post #5. The river there has a long and wide (6km) estuary suitable for large ships.

" The Port Authority of Thailand operates the Port of Ranong, which is Thailand's principal Indian Ocean port. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now this is a rail project worth considering. The Government could take a tonne of business away from the "family & friends" bus companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×