Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
sunny17

New Year's week Full Moon Party questions

sunny17    10

Hi all - this is my first post here.

I am planning a Thailand trip during new year. I want to attend the Full Moon party on 25th Dec and 31st Jan in Haad Rin Beach. 

However I have some questions and doubts. I shall list them out below - I hope the members can answer them. Before that I want to tell you one thing - I do not see much to do in Koh Phangan between the 2 all night parties. SO I shall be doing day trips on the following days - 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, and possibly a 1/2 day trip on the 25th (the party starts from evening). 

Here are my questions. 

1) Whats the best place to stay - I have a choice of Paradise Bungalow on Haad Rin OR a Hotel very near Thong Sala OR a hotel in Koh Samui (bo phut). Here are the Pros and cons - 

Paradise Bungalow - pros = that's THE place for the party. Cons = I have to go to Thong Sala by "taxi" every day I want to do day trips and then take ferry to Koh Samui (since all the day trips are from there, that too starting early in the morning)

Hotel in Thong Sala  - pros = 200 meters to pier, no "taxi" needed. Cons = far from party center + I have to take ferry to Koh Samui

Hotel in Samui - pros = Day trips are easy, no ferry needed. Cons = far from party. I wont have a way to return, if I had enough at 2 AM on the party night. 

2) What are the best day trips from Samui? I am not into diving but want to do snorkeling. I want to go to Koh Tao (+ koh nang huan and/or koh tao) and do Zip line trips. Who is the best tour provider? I can book trips through Viator.com (for eg - https://www.viator.com/tours/Koh-Samui/Koh-Samui-Island-Cruise-and-Snorkel-Full-Day-Tour/d347-3685SMU26/important-info) but it doesnt tell me who the provider is. Is there any tour provider/operator, who would be willing to pick me up from Thong Sala pier?

3) whats the best way to get from Koh Samui to Krabi ? What are some of the top places to see in Krabi? What is the best tour provider/operator in Krabi, If I want to see Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. 

4) Whats the best way (aside of flying) to go from Khaosan Road to Koh Samui or Koh Phangan - between, Bus, boat and train or a combination of these. The first consideration is how early I shall reach (a 7 AM arrival is better than a 9 AM)

5) Are there any overnight buses from Phuket to Bangkok? Which is the best? Also Whats the best way to go from Koh Samui to Phuket?

6) is it easy to get taxi's in Koh Pahagnan? Do they run from Morning till Midnight - between Thong Sala and Paradise Bungalows? I dont want to rent cycles or bikes. 

7) are there lots of street dogs in Koh Phangnan? I am scared of dogs. Will they cause problems during the Full moon parties?

8) is there anything to do in Koh Phagnan besides the full moon party? snorkeling? Bike trips around the island? Are there any Day trip "tour operators" in Phangnan or are all from Samui?

Sorry I asked a lot of questions in one go - hopefully some of you will be able to answer one or more of these queries. Thank you. 

sunny17    10

If thats too many questions then at least pls help me with #1, 2, 4, 6

Samui Bodoh    1,339

I'll let someone more knowledgeable (and there are many!) answer your questions; hopefully someone is in a good mood and has some free time.

As to #7, yes, there are lots of dogs on both Samui and KPH, but it is not something to get worried about.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Samui Bodoh    1,339

Wah!

You have certainly caught a good person in a good mood! I live here and have learned a few things. :smile:

My only beef would be the Koh Tao element; you might want to check out the threads in the Samui News section. And act accordingly.

Cheers

khunPer    2,436
37 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wah!

You have certainly caught a good person in a good mood! I live here and have learned a few things. :smile:

My only beef would be the Koh Tao element; you might want to check out the threads in the Samui News section. And act accordingly.

Cheers

OP, don't worry about Koh Tao and various rumors when doing day trips; especially the suggested to Koh Nangyouan...:smile:

• Like 1

CG1 Blue    54

"Hotel in Samui - pros = Day trips are easy, no ferry needed. Cons = far from party. I wont have a way to return, if I had enough at 2 AM on the party night. "

The boats/ferries from HR to Koh Samui run all night / morning.  My first (and only) FMP I took the ferry back to Samui at about 10am.  And got burnt to a crisp lying out on the deck in the morning sun.  Lesson learned :laugh:

Have fun!

• Like 2

sunny17    10

Thanks for all the answers, especially the epic answer from KhunPer. Thanks to these answers, I now can see a less murky plan. Here is what I think I shall do - (following the pattern of my questions)

1 - where to stay - I think the all night boat service decides this issue. I shall NOT stay at Paradise, or Thong Sala. I shall instead stay at Koh Samui - the question is whether to stay in fisherman's village (eg - castaway guest house) or near Cheong beach (eg - Anong Guesthouse). If I had a choice between these two - both are still available for booking online, which should I choose, keeping FMP and Samui trips in mind. I mean the boats which take people to and from the FMP - do they drop you off at Cheong, Big Buddha or Maenam Pier. or some other place in Samui?

2 - Day trips from Koh Samui - I think I am going to do a snorkeling trip around Koh samui which may include the marine reserve + a trip to Koh Tao (including zip lining and possibly Koh Nangyuan) + a half day trip in Samui for "sea walking" + a half day ATV trip or some similar "intra-samui" trip.

3 - Samui to Krabi - best to go for a boat+bus combo. Unless there is some real cheap no-frills airline (whose name is not Air Asia!). Within Krabi - is it better to stay in Ao Lang or Klong Jilad - my main targets in Krabi are the Rilay beach, and trips to Koh Phi Phi and Lanta islands

4 - Khaosan to Koh Samui - I am conflicted between the Lomprayah bus+boat service (since it starts from KSR) or some real cheap no frills plane (not the accident prone Air Asia).

5 - Phuket to Bkk and Samui to Phuket - I am thinking direct overnight bus or train to Bkk from Phuket and for samui to Phuket I shall go by Boat + bus or some no-frills airline. Is there any such airline members recommend?

6 - transportation within koh phangan - no more an issue, since I shall stay in samui.

7 - dogs - too bad. As long as they dont bite. I am specially scared during the FMP, when its dark and I am drunk.

8 - Phangan activities -  is a half day cycling trip in and around koh Phangan worth it? I hear the thong sala market area gets decked up for the FMP. Another possibility is the Garden of Eden party during tuesdays and Fridays. is it good?

But anyway, as you can see my plan is a lot more crystallized now. just a few niggles to be sorted, like best place to stay in samui, in krabi etc. 

Thanks and keep the answers coming.

khunPer    2,436

Thanks,

1)

The speed boats departs from various piers, depending of operator; but a lot of FMP-commuters use Bang Rak piers, including Lomlahk (Lomprayah), whilst Grand Sea Discovery use Maenam Beach, and Mr. Tu for example use the marina by Deva Resort. Most of them (if not all) offers a minibus service from/to your resort.

Which guest house to choose, Fisherman Village or Choeng Mong, I cannot help you with...

3)

Such thing as "real cheap" airline to/from Koh Samui does not exist; Samui Airport is owned by Bangkok Airways.

I need to tell you, that Ang Thong Marine Park, some of Samui's sisters, is "the real thing", Koh Phi Phi is just a film set...:smile:

4)

There are other airlines operating to Surat Thani – for example Nok Air (operates from Bangkok Don Mueang), and Nok Air also fly to Nakhon Si Thammarat; and Thai Smile (Thai Airways's budget carrier) – but compared to Air Asia's number of planes and passenger-miles, they may be statistically safe.

5)

There's (yet) no train from Phuket to Bangkok.

Air from Samui to Phuket is by Bangkok Airways (the one and only) – only alternative is to hope for that Red Bull-wings, and fly yourself...

7)

It's not dark during FMP, not even in the few hundred meters of sois between Haad Rin Pier and Sunrise Beach, and it sounds like you head back about sunrise. Furthermore, there will be folks all over that night – or those two particularly party-nights – and the soi dogs may already be sleeping. As long as you don't attack the dogs, or let them know you are scared of them, they'll be fairly, if not extremely friendly.

Don't drink too much, then you may expose yourself to problems – there might be other things for an "easy target" to fear than soi dogs only – however, I've been to numerous Full Moon Parties and always felt very safe (but I'm never drunk)...:wacko:

The only thing to fear (a little) is, if it's a stormy monsoon – December is still monsoon-season here – then the speedboat trip can be slightly unpleasant...:sick:

8)

Sorry, cannot advise...

If you like partying (as you seem to, after what you mention in 8), don't forget to check Chaweng Beach area, also for accommodation, as the two Samui destinations you named, both are quite quiet; but will however give you a good nights sleep. Also think of domestic transportation costs, if you anyway head somewhere else in evenings or at night.

PS: I live in Maenam, so I know the difference between at nice quiet area – apart from that I can hear the Black Moon Party at Koh Phangan about 7 miles away, and normally head out that night rather than pumping to the funky bass in my bed instead of sleeping – and commute to a more lively zone.

:smile:

• Like 1

sunny17    10

Thanks again for the elaborate reply. 

Meanwhile can someone pls tell me - whether to stay in fisherman's village (eg - castaway guest house) or near Cheong beach (eg - Anong Guesthouse)

My main objectives are to and fro travel for the FMP and local day trips in Koh Samui - keeping these two things in mind, which is better.

I know Cheong beach is closer to the "party scene" of Samui so I am inclined for that, but maybe the other one is better for FMP and day trips - pls advise.

samuijimmy    27,677

Some good posts/advice here: :thumbsup:

The week of Christmas and New Years are about the worse time for finding/ booking accommodation ... so decide and book early!

The FMP party speed boats run back and forth during the night every hour back to Samui from Haad Rin... again this will be one of the busiest times... Grand Sea and I believe Lomlahk both provide this service....  Most hotels will book this for you...includes pickup and drop off back at hotel... (on FMP night)...

Lomprayah service from BKK to Samui is a good choice, but it is overnight leaves 9 pm, arrives Samui around 11.30 am...  Mini bus will take you to resort anywhere  for a flat fee. (about 200 baht in high season)

As for dates of FMP looking at google it is rather confusing which date it actually is!!! 22nd 23 and NYE seem to to be listed! :unsure:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Full+moon+party+dates+Koh+Phangan&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=k_NWWdzHFszkvAS4rqko

A day trip to Koh Toa is probably best bet... you only get lunch on Koh Toa itself ... snorkeling at one of the bays takes up the morning, the afternoon is on Koh  Nang Yuan, which is very beautiful... 100 baht fee to enter on top of your day trip price... walk up to the view point!

Marine park is very beautiful and a must see/ do day trip! ..

As said don't try and overly plan everything in advance.... weather and other distractions could change plans fast.... I think a bike trip around Samui, should be included, there are some very nice quiet spots on south, north  and west sides of the island, ...not the "zoo" of some of the eastern side....

Your short time here will go too fast!

Some images that may help here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/125263-images-of-samui-phangan-and-tao/?page=53

• Like 1

sunny17    10

Did yo travel during the peak (Christmas, new year) season or was it some other time of the year?

Also can anyone recommend some good tour operators for the day trips in Koh Samui?

9 hours ago, Jamesons son said:

Both booked the day before :) 

• Like 1

khunPer    2,436

Agree with SamuiJimmy, but need to mention:

Year end FMP's are normally always December 25th and January 31st, you can find the official dates here.

Koh Tao/Koh Nangyouan trip schedule depend of your choice of tour-arranger, i.e. Grand Sea Discovery for example offers lunch at a Koh Tao restaurant, and thereafter visit to Koh Nangyouan; whilst Lomprayah provide free entrance to Nangyouan and include the lunch buffet in the resort there, and you can join the extra boat to a Tao-bay for snorkling, or just stay put at Nangyouan – I've tried both – however not sure if Lomlakh (also Lomprayah, but speedboats iso. catamaran) have similar Nangyouan-schedule. But there are several tour-boat companies to chose from, and several agencies that can help you (free for you, they'll get a small booking-commission from the tour company).

As also mentioned, Xmas-New year is peak-season. Some years have been fully booked, so fully booked that you cannot find transportation and/or accommodation, even 5-star resorts have been fully booked – some years guesthouses have called us to ask if they can "borrow" our private guestrooms, as all is full and people are desparate – other years plenty of space everywhere. But I agree with poster "Jamesons Son", that you shall be careful with preparing too many details – if you don't know Samui and her sisters very well, which you seem not to, when asking these questions – you may meet new friends, and change you plans to follow your new friends. In my opinion and advice, only major transportation – i.e. connection to flights in/out of Thailand, and other bookings – and your accommodation over peak season is important to prearrange.

• Like 1

sunny17    10
3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

As also mentioned, Xmas-New year is peak-season. Some years have been fully booked, so fully booked that you cannot find transportation....

.In my opinion and advice, only major transportation – i.e. connection to flights in/out of Thailand, and other bookings – and your accommodation over peak season is important to prearrange.

Thanks again for great Advice, including SamuiJimmy's inputs. 

However what is quoted above seems a little contradictory - you pointed out that in the peak season transportation is fully booked and then advised to only prearrange hotels and major transportation. 

I would like to avoid a situation where I am in Samui for the 25th-1st week but find all day trips in and around Samui are booked. So I think I shall contact some of the travel agencies you mentioned beforehand. 

But one thing is clear from your posts - samui to/from phangan wont be a problem any time of day during FMP. And thats why I wont book hotels in Phangan but Samui instead.