Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
howard ashoul

What kind of hobbies can you have in Thailand?

Settled in Thailand. But lately I come to realization, that I'm missing hobbies. Just going about daily business, without any passion or interests.

I looked into my past in my home country.  From that I ruled out cycling, as it could be quiet suicidal on these roads. So I was thinking about fishing. A lot of rivers and lakes around. And it seems unregulated. As anybody can be fishing here as he likes and what he likes.

But I couldn't find anything else.

Do you any hobbies while living here? That would fit Thailand, not requiring be in Bangkok or other big city? Thanks for experiences.

keep away from model hot ballooning - big fine if you're near an airport!!  :thumbsup: 

Posted (edited)

I'm more into concurrent and sequential projects than repetitive hobbies.   My biggest problem in Thailand (and China) has always been that last component or tool to put a project over the finish line. I can find about 90-95% of what I need (instilling the cruel illusion that it should be do-able, right?), then the project sits in that state for months and months while I'm searching for that last little bit.  Which is where the concurrent projects come in.  I usually have half a dozen working at once.

Oh.  And more often than not, once a project is finished, I find out that there's some silly laws that render the resulting wonder of improvised design and craftsmanship pretty much useless.  Examples are drones (no longer legal within 20 km of my BKK place), car top kayaks (not allowed on the expressways) air rifles (hard to find a good one, easy to buy, way illegal to own), a boat trailer (the toughest part was the receiver hitch for the truck, then I couldn't get the trailer registered), and a few other fiascoes that mercifully slip my mind.

Best of luck.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm more into concurrent and sequential projects than repetitive hobbies.   My biggest problem in Thailand (and China) has always been that last component or tool to put a project over the finish line. I can find about 90-95% of what I need (instilling the cruel illusion that it should be do-able, right?), then the project sits in that state for months and months while I'm searching for that last little bit.  Which is where the concurrent projects come in.  I usually have half a dozen working at once.

Oh.  And more often than not, once a project is finished, I find out that there's some silly laws that render the resulting wonder of improvised design and craftsmanship pretty much useless.  Examples are drones (no longer legal within 20 km of my BKK place), car top kayaks (not allowed on the expressways) air rifles (hard to find a good one, easy to buy, way illegal to own), a boat trailer (the toughest part was the receiver hitch for the truck, then I couldn't get the trailer registered), and a few other fiascoes that mercifully slip my mind.

Best of luck.

Have you made your own marine ply kayak. I bought a couple of books and was all gungho at the time but could not source a decent supplier of marine ply.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Have you made your own marine ply kayak. I bought a couple of books and was all gungho at the time but could not source a decent supplier of marine ply.

I bought a couple of Cu M of BS1088 marine ply in China, but my problem there was finding a decent epoxy (and the time- had plenty of space).  So the plywood ended up somewhere in the USA at a buddy's shop, though I doubt I'll ever see it again.

If you've got the space and the time, I'd suggest a strip plank construction. Then you're not at the mercy of the quality of the plywood.  The biggest Asian hiccup is finding a router table and bits to rout the bead and cove on the planks.  I found one table on Lazada for around 8,000 baht, but my 5th floor balcony just isn't big enough.  The epoxy and glass cloth is available in Thailand at boat dealers (and in bulk- but harder to find).  I still have the strips cut, waiting for me in China when my BKK contract ends...

My solution in China is a gorgeous fiberglass sit-in kayak, factory made.  In Thailand, all I could find was roto-molded.  Works fine but not as joyful to paddle as the  one I have in China.  But getting it to a beach without getting on an expressway is tough.

On an aside, there was a guy selling his strip built kayak shop near Kanchanaburi a few years back, but my contract precludes me from doing anything on the side (WP issues), so had to give it a pass.  That would have been a great hobby shop.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2