strikingsunset

Filing a UK Self Assessment Tax Return online - issue!

Hi,

First some background ,I  live most of the year in Asia ( mainly Thailand and China) and each year until now I have been able to file a UK self assessment tax return online via the government gateway website.

All has worked fine for many years, until last year when the Inland Revenue added a  further layer of security to the log in process where they send a code to ones nominated phone number to be entered as part of the log in process.

This was fine last year as I was in the UK on a holiday, notified them of my ( temporary) mobile phone number and filled in the return online while I was there.

So, to the ' here and now' ,this  year I am not going to England and my phone UK mobile number has lapsed, so it seems I am therefore stymied as I  haven't got the number to obtain/ access the code so cant therefore access the website.

I wanted to ask If anyone here has found a way round this issue,?  I thought as a last resort maybe I could get a paper tax return sent to me and return that by post even.

I was hoping to avoid a long winded phone call to the Inland revenue that could go in any direction and although I plan to go to England in May 2018 the deadline for the return is 31/01,as every year.

Just to add,, I am not trying to manipulate the system, I am below retirement age, not claiming any benefits and my tax affairs are mainly related to some modest rental income.

Thanks in advance of any knowledgeable responses 

Got anyone inn the UK that could get your UK mobile phone line reinstated or get a new one? Then enable roaming and get the SIM sent out here.

There's this where it appears to work in Thailand.

595cc486bca06_uknumber.jpg.8753d7f98ffde6c1103c85cbbb0efb18.jpg

I do know a tax guy back in the UK who can file your tax returns , he charges 85 quid and you just have to send him your details

Why not get a Thai mobile - You will get the code sent to you - all withing 2 seconds.

banK

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, banK said:

Why not get a Thai mobile - You will get the code sent to you - all withing 2 seconds.

banK

Does the UK government gateway allow foreign mobile numbers to be used?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Does the UK government gateway allow foreign mobile numbers to be used?

Yes have been using it no prob.

4 minutes ago, banK said:

Yes have been using it no prob.

The OP is sorted then.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

The OP is sorted then.

Looks like it.

banK

3 hours ago, banK said:

banK

Can be hit and miss in my experience, though. HMRC informed me when I complained about this that it depends on the strength of your mobile signal (which seems to fluctuate constantly in my case for some reason) as to whether you actually receive an SMS with the code.

Edited by OJAS

Hi, OP here ...

Thanks for all the really constructive  replies, I will call them and see if I can use my regular Thai or China mobile number to receive the SMS access code.

Failing that I will download the forms (Thanks for link)  and submit a paper return. Sorted ,one  way or the other.

Cheers,

OP   

Can the OP use the Authenticator app? I and several others use this to access the GG sites, the code changes every few seconds, not sure how you would set it up initially though, being an existing user.

4 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Hi, OP here ...

Thanks for all the really constructive  replies, I will call them and see if I can use my regular Thai or China mobile number to receive the SMS access code.

Failing that I will download the forms (Thanks for link)  and submit a paper return. Sorted ,one  way or the other.

Cheers,

OP   

OP - I am surprised you were able to file a return online if you are declaring rental income as that part of the return (SA105) I thought was not available and had to be sent in by post - unless you are using some approved paid for commercial software?

By the way as others have said no problem now getting the Verify code on my Thai mobile number (12 Call). They only fixed it about 6 months ago however as before that it would not work.

2 minutes ago, topt said:

OP - I am surprised you were able to file a return online if you are declaring rental income as that part of the return (SA105) I thought was not available and had to be sent in by post - unless you are using some approved paid for commercial software?

By the way as others have said no problem now getting the Verify code on my Thai mobile number (12 Call). They only fixed it about 6 months ago however as before that it would not work.

I do my tax return on line every year including my rental property, never a problem.

Just now, vogie said:

I do my tax return on line every year including my rental property, never a problem.

But do you use some approved software or is SA105 now available as part of the standard online input?