CN1050

Updates on Which Gyms or Personal Trainers to Use?

I've been reading through the forums and it seems like all of the posts in regards to gyms and personal trainers are either outdated or for other areas of Thailand. I wanted to get into shape, but haven't exercised since high school and needed someone to help get me on track. Just going to the gym myself I wouldn't know how to use any of the machines or where to focus!

I'm in Chiang Mai Land and ideally would be looking for something close but if there are better options elsewhere I'd certainly consider, at least at first to learn about machines and get a plan in place.

If anyone has any suggestions of gyms or trainers they know or are currently using, I'd love to hear about them. Just looking to turn my health around.

Depends on how much you can afford or are willing to spend.  I tend to be a cheap charlie in this department.  I simply want free weights and aerobic machines.  I pay 30 THB a visit to the gym I use in Lamphun.

When I lived in CM I used Fitness Thai  http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/contact.php.  My biggest complaint with them was their reluctance to keep their equipment maintained including not having enough steel pins for the weight racks on their weight machines.  They have personal trainers.  But overall they are an OK place for the price. Personally I'd recommend them.

One of the closest places to you is the fitness center at Centra Duangawan Hotel on the fourth floor  http://www.duangtawanhotelchiangmai.com/facilities.html
I consider it a frilly boutique fitness place.  Pricy. Crowded. Limited equipment.  Not sure about personal trainer.  

You also have a swimming pool at the Southwest side of CM Land.  Swimming is excellent exercise.  
Best of luck.  Happy training.

Edited by connda

4 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

CNX Gym near to the Nissan Garage, fairly close to the shopping mall

53 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

What Nissan Garage and what shopping mall? There are several of each in Chiang Mai

If you want to avoid the beer chang vests, tough guy talk from pot-bellied pigs and little dark farang girlfriends from a medieval village, try somewhere that costs over 15,000 baht/year.

21 hours ago, connda said:

Depends on how much you can afford or are willing to spend.  I tend to be a cheap charlie in this department.  I simply want free weights and aerobic machines.  I pay 30 THB a visit to the gym I use in Lamphun.

When I lived in CM I used Fitness Thai  http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/contact.php.  My biggest complaint with them was their reluctance to keep their equipment maintained including not having enough steel pins for the weight racks on their weight machines.  They have personal trainers.  But overall they are an OK place for the price. Personally I'd recommend them.

One of the closest places to you is the fitness center at Centra Duangawan Hotel on the fourth floor  http://www.duangtawanhotelchiangmai.com/facilities.html
I consider it a frilly boutique fitness place.  Pricy. Crowded. Limited equipment.  Not sure about personal trainer.  

You also have a swimming pool at the Southwest side of CM Land.  Swimming is excellent exercise.  

What I don't like about the Duangtawan hotel fitness center is, they have those air freshener gadgets stuck up in many corners You will notice those little white thinggys up there. They "hiss" out every few minutes. AND they are  known carcinogenic contributors. They are banned in many places in the USA, Canada and some places in Europe, especially gyms. Don't need to be sucking stuff like that down yer lungs as you're pushing a thousand ( okay, forty ) pounds over yer head.

• Like 1

Do you have access to a computer? Umm, I'll assume....yes. Then why not just type in Athlean x.com. or athlean x you tube? Best darn exercise site on the net. And it does not have to cost you a baht, unless you want to buy into one of his programs, which are well worth the money (IMHO of course ) Exercises for any and all parts of the body, with weights, without weights, nutrition plans, the works. He has put out hundreds of vids, and still puts out one a week.

The Chiang Mai Orchid just re-vamped their gym last July. New equipment, new showers, etc. The locker room setup sorta sucks, but you have two to choose from. And they have a lovely SALTWATER POOL. All the young guys working there are body builders, ( the ladies don't seem to know dick all ) and will teach you how to use the machines for free. You may be able to hook one of them ($ ) to become your personal trainer. A wee bit expensive, but it's worth it for me. Oh yeah, I've never seen more than fifteen people there at any one time. Maybe because of the cost?

Buy an old bicycle, pedal out to the 700 stadium, on the dedicated bike trail, then swim in the olympic pool for 20 laps, at least 4 different strokes.  Cool down, dry off and then move downstairs to the weight training department with loads of various machines.  You'll be fit in no time at small cost.  3x per week.  

Swim = 60 baht, machine use the same.  approx.

^^^ Jobin... the OP stated he lives in Chiang Mai Land area... so a bike ride to the 700 Stadium would be a rather unhealthy endeavor... :coffee1:

Going to go through and respond to these posts but some of them come off as ads, are misinformed or sorta just dickish haha. Will reply to helpful people though.

Mostly looking for the personal trainer part just so that I can have some guidance and help down the line of where to be putting focus into. Gyms in my opinion are kind of a dime a dozen unless you are in need of serious weights and equipment. Trainers on the other hand, are workout tools that can be really shit or really good, and if they're shit then you can really mess up your body. Was moreso looking for recommendations on a trainer, my apologies for not being too specific. The gym info is helpful though.

23 hours ago, nickmondo said:

Do you use this gym personally? As far as trainers, do they offer anything?

The food seems sorta distracting, that was my issue that led to me needing to work out haha

On 7/7/2017 at 1:58 PM, connda said:

Fitness Thailand seems cool but they're on the opposite side of town. The hotel gym seems off and other people here seem to bash it so probably a pass on that as well. If you know any trainers that operate outside the gyms worth their salt then let me know though!

4 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Do you have access to a computer? Umm, I'll assume....yes. Then why not just type in Athlean x.com. or athlean x you tube? Best darn exercise site on the net. And it does not have to cost you a baht, unless you want to buy into one of his programs, which are well worth the money (IMHO of course ) Exercises for any and all parts of the body, with weights, without weights, nutrition plans, the works. He has put out hundreds of vids, and still puts out one a week.

Was moreso looking for someone that could talk to me about my own goals, abilities and eating habits and work with me on a way to go about working out responsibly. I know of this guy from weighlifting mates and he can help form and what not but I am looking for a trainer, not just a youtube guide. All the perks of a human including personalized help, their informed advice down the line a few months, and maybe someone to work out with and keep you on program, are all helpful.

35 minutes ago, jobin said:

Buy an old bicycle, pedal out to the 700 stadium, on the dedicated bike trail, then swim in the olympic pool for 20 laps, at least 4 different strokes.  Cool down, dry off and then move downstairs to the weight training department with loads of various machines.  You'll be fit in no time at small cost.  3x per week.  

Swim = 60 baht, machine use the same.  approx.

Um, going to say you didn't read or are really naive? Pardon if I'm wrong but that place is awfully far.

8 hours ago, Loaded said:

If you want to avoid the beer chang vests, tough guy talk from pot-bellied pigs and little dark farang girlfriends from a medieval village, try somewhere that costs over 15,000 baht/year.

You seem to have rep on here but your comment is confusing and I don't get what you are trying to say. Either way it wasn't super... helpful?