sunny17

Typical thai incomes

.most answers on this thread are not worth reading  and less heeding.

seems to me where I live in Korat but also having lived in Bkk  and Hua Hin

a young married professional couple will be lucky to make 50,000 baht per month, from that  pay a mortgage and two car payments  but they think they are hi so.

go figure the Thai mentality I cannot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ableguy said:

but they think they are hi so.

They must have taken the "farm laborers from Issan" as their reference point. 

But come to think of it, house + 2 cars = middle class in developed countries - so they are definitely "almost" hi-so in a "middle income" country like thailand. 

A better indicator would be distribution of income in Thailand. For example, even in the US at minimum wage with no expense sharing with family and friends you might be living out of a car. Through media, you might think most people live in two car garage houses with two SUVs and work for Google or Apple. Not complaining, but it ain't all Disney World. And, many inner cities are beltway drive over or past war zones. The elderly held economically hostage in one room project housing. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, akirasan said:

Nope, what I'm saying is that if you don't have a network of good friends or family here, or have to start from scratch (find accommodation, buy a car, house furnishings etc) you'll find it difficult to get by on that amount.  

Have to disagree 100%. Accomodation is easily available at 15,000 or less most places in Thailand. My ex rents a reasonable place for 3,000 in a popular town.

Unless one chooses to live in a western style place and eat in expensive restaurants an absolutely acceptable lifestyle can be had for 20,000 a month or less.

However, I agree it is not possible to have nightlife or paid company on that amount.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sunny17 said:

They must have taken the "farm laborers from Issan" as their reference point. 

But come to think of it, house + 2 cars = middle class in developed countries - so they are definitely "almost" hi-so in a "middle income" country like thailand. 

house + 2 cars = middle class in developed countries

Not in the countries I've been in. In my home country, house ownership is no longer possible for most young people, and even middle aged are having a problem.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, Craig krup said:

The hard thing to grasp is how the world looks through someone else's eyes. When I was young the need to go out on the lash was like a physical thing: I absolutely could not imagine sitting at peace. My libido was off the scale so I did some terrible stuff - like shagging my mates' [note apostrophe] girlfriends. Now I've got no desire to drink and it's so long since I've "been to church" I'm struggling to remember where I sit. 

Now the state of mood, disposition, affect and taste that I'm at right now is the mood some people are in when they're young. I could easily live on 20,000 baht right now because reading books, posting inflammatory comments on the web, working out and eating big bowls of starch doesn't cost very much. But the 22 year old me couldn't have done it. He'd have blown through it in three good nights. 

Agreed, but the thread is discussing if it is possible to live a good life on what some on here consider a low ( Thai ) income, and not about the extras, which may be desirable, but not essential.

Indeed, if I were here 20 years ago, my outgoings would be considerably higher than now, but even then, when I was poor, I had to ration my nightlife.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Does that make the farm labourers any less of a person. 

I never said it did. I was pointing out their "Earning slab"

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 8:33 AM, Briggsy said:

Be aware that a Thai salary may only represent as little as 50% of the remuneration or less in some cases.

Extras such as an annual bonus often of several months' salary, housing allowance, phone allowance, meal allowance, petrol allowance, etc. (plus fiddles on the side!) paint a truer picture.

As ever in Thailand, scratch the surface and a different picture emerges.

Tea money

3 hours ago, Craig krup said:

A fair amount of it is due to education. If someone is highly educated they can conceptualize and rationalize things differently, they can amuse themselves cheaply and they don't rely on outward signifiers to establish their identity. 

"There are two kinds of education - one that teaches us how to earn a living and the other that teaches us how to live" - John Quincy Adams

On 7/16/2017 at 2:29 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Have to disagree 100%. Accomodation is easily available at 15,000 or less most places in Thailand. My ex rents a reasonable place for 3,000 in a popular town.

Unless one chooses to live in a western style place and eat in expensive restaurants an absolutely acceptable lifestyle can be had for 20,000 a month or less.

However, I agree it is not possible to have nightlife or paid company on that amount.

What is this popular town? I don't understand why not say it.... I doubt you will get sued for defamation because the rent is cheap.

BTW, I see "apartments" here on Ramkhamheang (Bangkok) for rent for about 1200 baht a month. Good location too.... across Big C