mommysboy

Shocking BP yesterday- better today. Where am I?

94 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

At hospital yesterday, before I had an achilles checked out, I experienced an awful BP reading -190/95.  I think it's partly explained by white coat syndrome.  But my readings have been creeping up over the last few years.

The doctor just advised me to come back in a few days for a retest.  A second reading fell to 170, and then with a trial of a home BP monitor down to 155.

Today I have taken 2 readings .  Morning 128/88

Afternoon 134/88

Heart rate generally- 45 sleeping, 55 sitting relaxed watching tv, 63 busy doing nothing.

For a 56 year old man I thought this is ok.  But I know others will say it is high.  But I thought BP naturally rose with age!

Should I be aiming for 120/80 or even less.

There are a number of factors I could change as basically I vape (nicotine), and eat high salt food. I drink at least 10 cups of tea a day and sometimes a couple of cups of coffee  My diet is truly crap at the moment.  And so is my sleep pattern.

As an ex-smoker for many decades I must have hardened arteries to some extent.  I am slim, athletic and love jogging/walking.

Edited by mommysboy

ID: 2   Posted

It would appear to be mostly white coat to me as you seem to have delayed that doctor visit for a long time so suspect you were very nervous about it.  The fact it quickly came down and appears almost normal at home would be a good sign.  Obviously the drug and tea are probably not helping so that might be something to work on lowering and keep up the monitoring so you can report a true BP pattern on your next visit.

1 person likes this

ID: 3   Posted

As above, I think we can disregard the readings in the hospital.

Your at home readings are consistent with "pre-hypertension". Reducing the caffeine and salt, and cutting out the nicotine, would all likely help.

2 people like this

ID: 4   Posted (edited)

The best advice you could listen to is to support Brexit and not be a remainer. That will bring down your blood pressure.

Joking aside. As you know, we have a few med issues in common.

Listen to Sheryl and cut back on the caffeine, salt and sugar. 

After a life time of heavy exercise being replaced by high living and "good" food, I put on a lot of weight and my BP went up to 150/95 as an average. I am about to have a hip replacement and the doctor suggested I loose weight to help. Simply by cutting back on sugar, salt, chocolate and processed foods and a calorie controlled diet (1800 calorie intake), I have lost 15 Kg in 2 months (target another 10 Kgs in the next 3 months) and my BP is a steady 125/80.

It makes you sit up and think when just eating sensibly can reduce both weight and BP. Yes I miss my chocolate and my take away's but I feel better for it.

Start thinking sensible eating while you still can.

Edited by Flustered
2 people like this

ID: 5   Posted

10 hours ago, Flustered said:

The best advice you could listen to is to support Brexit and not be a remainer. That will bring down your blood pressure.

Joking aside. As you know, we have a few med issues in common.

After a life time of heavy exercise being replaced by high living and "good" food, I put on a lot of weight and my BP went up to 150/95 as an average. I am about to have a hip replacement and the doctor suggested I loose weight to help. Simply by cutting back on sugar, salt, chocolate and processed foods and a calorie controlled diet (1800 calorie intake), I have lost 15 Kg in 2 months (target another 10 Kgs in the next 3 months) and my BP is a steady 125/80.

It makes you sit up and think when just eating sensibly can reduce both weight and BP. Yes I miss my chocolate and my take away's but I feel better for it.

Thankfully I checked out at 124/78 this morning.

The difference has possibly been giving up vaping, which introduces a large amount of nicotine in to the body all day.

I thought I'd concentrate on one issue at a time, so I can possibly get an angle at what does and doesn't effect me.

That's a great achievement- 15kg is a lot to lose.  Good stuff.

1 person likes this

ID: 6   Posted

the past 3times i have had my BP taken at the outpatients in the hospital [arm in the cuff] its gone off the map.

3times in the hospital [8days stay in total its been perfect.

i have since bought an OMRON HEM-7130 AND DO MY TESTING AT HOME.

i do have history,double by-pass surgery and a heart valve replacement.

i to had to loose a lot of weight,the usual stuff,but most of all was to stop eating meals after 5pm.

2 people like this

ID: 7   Posted

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

most of all was to stop eating meals after 5pm.

Interesting and this helped with weight loss, I know I eat too much in the evening, and also maybe too muck Sangsom and water

Many of us have blood pressure readings that out of our normal range

Thats why i like my one at home, and is good for watching the trend

On one hospital in khonkaen the testing machine is at the top of the mandatory stairs, and of course blood pressure will be up, maybe they are short of business

Generally sit down relax Breath deeply, keep breathing deeply and in 5/10 mins back down

2 people like this

ID: 8   Posted

All I can say, I got high readings in hospitals. Then i went several time during a week to different small clinics. BP was always fine. Sometime they charge 20 baht, some are free.

1 person likes this

ID: 9   Posted

16 hours ago, Flustered said:

Wish it was that easy. I have more or less given up sugar and added salt, don't eat much, but unable to lose weight.

Unfortunately, losing weight is probably the most important thing to do, but sometimes the cure is worse than dying a couple of years before we would have if giving everything enjoyable up.

Re the OP's BP, I had shocking white coat syndrome for years, till I really did get ^ BP. What does work is breathing deeply for a while before taking BP.

As I understand it the diastolic is more important than the Systolic ( I'm usually over 150, but I'd be worried at a 95 diastolic ) and we used to go by the rule for systolic- 100 plus age. Might not be the in thing anymore, but what is in now will be out soon and then back in later.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wish it was that easy. I have more or less given up sugar and added salt, don't eat much, but unable to lose weight.

Unfortunately, losing weight is probably the most important thing to do, but sometimes the cure is worse than dying a couple of years before we would have if giving everything enjoyable up.

Re the OP's BP, I had shocking white coat syndrome for years, till I really did get ^ BP. What does work is breathing deeply for a while before taking BP.

As I understand it the diastolic is more important than the Systolic ( I'm usually over 150, but I'd be worried at a 95 diastolic ) and we used to go by the rule for systolic- 100 plus age. Might not be the in thing anymore, but what is in now will be out soon and then back in later.

Losing weight actually is easy. You have to look a it logically and your BP will come down with it.

It's all about calories in vs calories out. I used to think I did not each much until I found out how many calories were in what I ate. My "reasonable" amount of food was in fact over 2,500 calories a day. You would not believe how many calories are in a simple single biscuit. A chocolate hob nob is 100 calories, a small bar of chocolate over 600 calories. The calories add up at an incredible rate.

I did not want to stop eating nice healthy food (nothing processed) so I look at 400 calories for breakfast (2 slices granary bread, 2 rashers bacon, 1 egg and a mug of tea 1 sugar), 300 calories for lunch (apple or other fruit, 1 slice granary bread with pilchard or baked beans and glass of juice) and finally 800 calories for dinner (meat, veg etc plus juice or cup of tea)....Total 1,500 calories. I am experimenting  replacing sugar with honey. Also walk 2 miles each day (hurts like hell with my gammy hip).

Result is guaranteed weight loss while still enjoying food. 15 Kg in 2 months and should make another 10 in the next 3 months. Yes I feel tired but very happy with the loss. Once I reach 80 kilos I can up my calorie intake to 2,200 and see if my weight steadies and my tiredness goes away..a new hip will help with the walking.

Added benefit is 4 inches of waist and my old clothes now fit me so no having to buy new ones.

Honestly, once you loose the first 5 Kg or so you really get some self control and stop eating junk food.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you will have to mini fast.  For instance you may want to skip a meal before you go to sleep, or miss breakfast when you get up.  In this way, you get a good burn going.

Yes it used to be taught that normal blood pressure is 100 plus age.  But it was argued that normal did not mean healthy.  However to then set it at 120/80 is arguably wrong, because BP rises steadily with age, and not as a disease process.  I think 140/90 would  be ok at 60- just plucking figures though.

I heard that systolic pressure correlates with risk of heart attack and stroke.

48 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Losing weight actually is easy. You have to look a it logically and your BP will come down with it.

It's all about calories in vs calories out. I used to think I did not each much until I found out how many calories were in what I ate. My "reasonable" amount of food was in fact over 2,500 calories a day. You would not believe how many calories are in a simple single biscuit. A chocolate hob nob is 100 calories, a small bar of chocolate over 600 calories. The calories add up at an incredible rate.

I did not want to stop eating nice healthy food (nothing processed) so I look at 400 calories for breakfast (2 slices granary bread, 2 rashers bacon, 1 egg and a mug of tea 1 sugar), 300 calories for lunch (apple or other fruit, 1 slice granary bread with pilchard or baked beans and glass of juice) and finally 800 calories for dinner (meat, veg etc plus juice or cup of tea)....Total 1,500 calories. I am experimenting  replacing sugar with honey. Also walk 2 miles each day (hurts like hell with my gammy hip).

Result is guaranteed weight loss while still enjoying food. 15 Kg in 2 months and should make another 10 in the next 3 months. Yes I feel tired but very happy with the loss. Once I reach 80 kilos I can up my calorie intake to 2,200 and see if my weight steadies and my tiredness goes away..a new hip will help with the walking.

Added benefit is 4 inches of waist and my old clothes now fit me so no having to buy new ones.

Honestly, once you loose the first 5 Kg or so you really get some self control and stop eating junk food.

Walking is great. Funnily enough, my hip is starting to play up.

Bacon and eggs- now were talking.  Sugar in tea though: sacrilege.

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

I have been ill with some kind of fever or tonsilitis.  Even then BP readings were optimal.

But I got up this morning feeling out of sorts- angsty.  That's important, because it's the feeling I get when I'm at hospital.  My reading came in at 140/82.

Once I'd settled down I took another reading at 128/88.

And then after a cup of tea and crossword- 120/74.

Mood seems to be a big factor for me.

Edited by mommysboy

I am very convinced peace tranquility, and happiness all seriously influence our health, coupled with a general state of being content

This does not mean I always practice this, I can be upset very easily and do not suffer fools gladly, especially when driving, but today the wife drives me quite a lot and i enjoy that apart from the odd prayer, and odd BE CAREFUL

I also try to stay positive

All this I believe is to a substantial extent reflected in our well being and blood pressure

In my humble opinion 140/82 is not extremely high , and if you over worry it may go the wrong way, and look it soon returned to normal

my blood pressure has been better and I am not doing it every day at the moment, a few months ago I was doing it three times a day

Keep smiling stay happy and mix with the positive people

Good luck Sir

2 people like this

An observation, and a couple of thoughts

Sometimes I miss the obvious

Stop doing your blood pressure when you get up

Do it later in the morning when you have got over the stress of waking, for me I do not function well in the first 30 mins plus, sometimes even talking is too much

We all know our BP is amiss some of the time, you just want to see most of the time it is Ok

1 person likes this