snoop1130

Video: Freak accident as cyclist killed in tour bus accident at Cha-Am beach.

122 posts in this topic

ID: 16   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, balo said:

I think they are both to blame, the pedestrian for not looking at the road and the cyclist who clearly were speeding , this looks to be a busy road so caution always comes first .

I use the bicycle myself almost daily but not on busy roads and always slowly .  You need to pay attention every second on Thai roads.  

Another tragic accident that could have been avoided . RIP: 

i look at Thai people on bike and walking around they all look like the lights are on but no ones at home just thinking about som tum:sorry:

Edited by catman20
2 people like this

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Should be noted that this doesn't go into the traffic fatality stats since the poor victim wasn't declared dead until she was in hospital.  They only count the ones declared at the scene.

Begging the question, how bad are the roads....really?

24 000 actual vs 10 xxx official.

1 person likes this

I reckon the mess of parked vehicles should carry at least part of the blame.

There looks like plenty of room to have a single row of parking bays and a wide footpath and even a bicyle lane. Absolutely no need to force pedestrians to walk on the road.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

The habit of walking and playing on the phone is a lifestyle here. Thais spend so much of their lives with their face in the phone.

A lot of us have been living abroad long enough that we don't see that it's the same back home.  Except they drive everywhere in cars where you can't see them Facebooking while navigating traffic.  

A feat (?) that makes walking with Facebook look relatively harmless.  Except these black swan occasions.

5 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

To me it's a wonder such accidents don't occur more often - awful news and a warning to us all.

The number of accidents reported by/to the authorities are a tiny fraction of the real number of accidents.
This is reported in many sites in Google.

When I frist came to Thailand, I went with a girlfriend to Chaiyaphum.
One day, a truck ran over a boy who was returning from playing/working at the rice fields.
He was killed on the spot.
The truck driver was a very high ranked figure in the village.
The local police was called (2 agents) with the village headman.
They did a inquiry "on the spot" and decided that the boy died because "the heart stopped beating".
After paying a little sum of money to the parents of the boy, the boy was transferred to the local temple and burned up.
No information about the accident ever leaved the place.

1 person likes this

These small streets are never designed to take big buses, a small soi with no footpath, already being shared between pedestrians, bikes, motorbikes and cars, there is no room for big buses in little sois.

2 people like this

This is really an extremely unnecessary death! Sad......

Hope you were right Catman,but there was a lot of movement from her and she did get out from under the bus herself.What really gets me in this sort of accident where someone is lying in the road injured is the amount of people that can just stand and look or even take a quick look and walk away.Good on the cyclist who seemed very concerned,moved the bike away from her and got his phone out to call someone. Poor lady RIP

2 people like this

As a cyclists on the roads of Thailand, it is so dangerous out there.

Cyclists are just not given any consideration by other road users.

Some do, most don't.

I think as a cyclist, you really see how bad it is here.