Thailand Forum
webfact

Death of Australian man parasailing in Phuket - two Thai men charged with negligence

swanny321    119
14 minutes ago, happyas said:

Yes, your analysis makes sense in many ways.

I too noticed that the only part of the harness that seemed loose prior to 'take-off', was the strap that presumably

was meant to constitute the 'seat' portion seen in the other photos.

• Like 1

Danang    5
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, swanny321 said:

I too noticed that the only part of the harness that seemed loose prior to 'take-off', was the strap that presumably

Poor man, RIP. 

I am no expert, and have never tried parasailing. But I noticed a few things in the video: 

1. The deceased seems to have no harness securing him under his groin. If he had, then we wouldnt see his black shorts on his left leg when he is facing the camera. We would have seen the grey harness. 

2. From behind it looks like the harness hangs loose under his bottom. 

3. When they are taking off another guy is running after them, screaming. He gestures with his arms, out to the side, like he says that the deceased should straighten out his arms so the harness will get in place over his shoulders and not under his armpits. 

4. In the air the deceased straighten out his arms, probably to do as the guy on the beach says?, and to get the harness in the right place - over his shoulders. When he does that, it seems like he falls cos of lack of straps under his groin. 

5. The thai guy in air seems to be sitting on the wire, not on the shoulders of the deceased. 

Edited by Danang
  • Like 2

Danang    5
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, bartender100 said:

It said shallow water somewhere, maybe if it had been deeper he may have survived

Yes, shallow water it seems. And if it was intentional to kill him it would be a big risk doing it that way cos he could have survived to tell the tale. Almost did. I think this went wrong: 

1. No harness under his groin: fault of operators. 

2. Harness under his armpits: should have been detected by operators before the guy on the beach sees it and runs after them screaming that the harness is in the wrong place. 

Edited by Danang
  • Like 1

perthperson    543
9 minutes ago, Danang said:

Yes, shallow water it seems. And if it was intentional to kill him it would be a big risk doing it that way cos he could have survived to tell the tale. Almost did. I think this went wrong: 

1. No harness under his groin: fault of operators. 

2. Harness under his armpits: should have been detected by operators before the guy on the beach sees it and runs after them screaming that the harness is in the wrong place. 

Check the video ..... you may then wish to edit your post. 

• Like 1

Danang    5
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Check the video ..... you may then wish to edit your post. 

Read the whole thread after posting. Looks like he has harness on his right leg, but not on the left. No expert, was just some thoughts. Anyway, having the wire under his armpits shouldnt have any serious effect I guess, and that the fault is either him releasing himself from the parachute, or the leg straps to be the fault. 

Edited by Danang

perthperson    543
19 minutes ago, Danang said:

Looks like he has harness on his right leg, but not on the left.

Watch the video again ----carefully ! 

• Like 1

Lamar    58
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, swanny321 said:

The lanyard that serves as a seat is present (purple arrows # 1, # 2, # 3) BUT it DOESN'T seem to be connected from the front, which will prevent it from acting as a seat.

There is a hanging structure which seems to be like a belt buckle; Strangely, it seems that it is not connected to anything (white arrows pictures # 2 and # 3).

On picture # 4, in addition to the wrong position of the arms in relation to the main straps of the parachute (cf. my post ID #102), it can be seen that the bottom strap (which is supposed to act as a seat) is not connected frontally. It would seem that a link like the one I traced in yellow in photo # 5 is missing; We can compare with the photos # 7 (yellow arrow) and # 8.

On picture # 6, it can be seen that shortly after take-off the customer is not at all in the same comfortable position as the customers on photos # 7 and # 8; The straps of the parachute pass under his armpits and he does not seem to be well supported from below. (Photos # 7 and # 8 are from videos posted on Youtube and made during parasailing in Phuket.)

The harnessing seems to have been carried out too hasty and perhaps incorrect; There was obviously no briefing or check-up prior to take-off. What a shame to dare to blame the victim!

Parasail.3.jpg

Edited by Lamar
  • Like 1

happyas    335
27 minutes ago, Lamar said:

The lanyard that serves as a seat is present (purple arrows # 1, # 2, # 3) BUT it DOESN'T seem to be connected from the front, which will prevent it from acting as a seat.

There is a hanging structure which seems to be like a belt buckle; Strangely, it seems that it is not connected to anything (white arrows pictures # 2 and # 3).

On picture # 4, in addition to the wrong position of the arms in relation to the main straps of the parachute (cf. my post ID #102), it can be seen that the bottom strap (which is supposed to act as a seat) is not connected frontally. It would seem that a link like the one I traced in yellow in photo # 5 is missing; We can compare with the photos # 7 (yellow arrow) and # 8.

On picture # 6, it can be seen that shortly after take-off the customer is not at all in the same comfortable position as the customers on photos # 7 and # 8; The straps of the parachute pass under his armpits and he does not seem to be well supported from below. (Photos # 7 and # 8 are from videos posted on Youtube and made during parasailing in Phuket.)

The harnessing seems to have been carried out too hasty and perhaps incorrect; There was obviously no briefing or check-up prior to take-off. What a shame to dare to blame the victim!

Parasail.3.jpg

Well done...serious food for thought here....There obviously is more than just one contributing factor for this tragedy.

• Like 1

swanny321    119
5 hours ago, Lamar said:

The harnessing seems to have been carried out too hasty and perhaps incorrect;

Well thought out analysis btw. It's almost as if the only thing holding him aloft was the wrong

positioning if the 'ropes' under his arms.....seemed like a splendid fellow too.....what a shame.

• Like 1

atyclb    1,616
On 7/13/2017 at 2:24 PM, jaiyen said:

I was a parascending instructor when I lived in England and I have seen these chutes in Kata many times. They are cheap crap as is the harness.  They will carry 2 people, no problem, but do not have a tandem harness. The Thai guy just hangs by the ropes.  When I flew passengers we had a proper extended harness with rings mounted in the harness for the passengers harness  to attach too. Never had any problems.  The Thai operators  are dangerous and illegal. They were banned from the beaches many times but always come back. Lots ob envelopes and they carry on killing people.  Remember the Aussie guy who was recently charged with manslaughter (I think ) when he crashed a jet ski and his G/F got killed ?   Hope the Thai cockhead gets done for manslaughter. The guys wife did a video which can be seen in the Daily Express showing the crappy canvas harness he was wearing. Looked like something from a WW2 plane.

it's not that its a developing country. its the local mindset about safet5y and "never mind" who cares and lack of critical thinking. i have friends in colombia sa that are parasail pilots and instructors. they are very serious about safety and they have top notch equipment, walkie talkies, secondary chutes, etc etc. i have gone up many times into the clouds taking off from the andes. the professionalism inspires confidence. very little in thailand inspires confidence.

happyas    335
14 hours ago, Lamar said:

Parasail.3.jpg

There sure is a lot of unknowns in this incident and as i am interested in cause/effect results i talked with a colleague who is quite well versed in such matters.
He is ex detective, but now analyses mostly covert videos of people involved in   things like making false claims for injuries etc for insurance companies and similar scenarios, so has a good eye for detail and events and interpretation of such.
He has visited Phuket and has been on a couple  of parasailer rides so has a bit of first hand experience on them.
In this incident he has little info to go on this except for the video that we all have seen and he was a bit reticent to comment with such little to go on, but did say this.;[and a lot that supports your views also]
We talked on Skype and i took notes as presented now.

"From the get go many things just did not "look right" especially the fitment of the lower seat/support,which is in question already, it didn't appear to fit right and the man does look rather pensive at times.[Could be just nervous about the ride though}
When he was walking you can see him adjust it a bit,so it appears to be a problem to him.
Also about 24 sec he asks about the fitting "stretches when wet"..i'm wondering what is the relevance/meaning here?
The harness straps etc, tho a bit worn looking are capable of carrying a lot more load than they need to and as compared to say , a parachute opening, there is unlikely to be any severe shock loading to them when used here.

The real problem starts about 1;50 in when the belts that should go over the mans shoulders, for some reason,as the guy is holding the front harness thus preventing this correct placement happening and they are under his arms.
The helper noticeably looks at this initially, but does nothing and focus's on the towline starting to tighten up, pre liftoff.
As they start to ascend the other groundcrew notice this and start yelling, but is too late.
Now the full weight of this rather solid man is supported by these harness's under his arms and obviously in a bit of pain he tries to reposition them with the help of the crewman who has,as is normal in Thailand, now climbed up above the man.
It is hard to see who is doing what exactly but as the mans arms go up to allow the harness to its normal placement it appears that for whatever reason the talked of lower bum support either has failed or was not initially fitted correctly as is speculated.
Now, the only means of support ie the harness under his arms has been removed and gravity does its thing.

Two valids POI now at this stage;
I figure the man to be probably around 90 kilos, so was this weight sufficient to ensure that he just slipped through the whole harness system [which is outside his shirt ,possibly making it less friction] ? The whole rig, shirt and all just went over his shoulder and head ?
I believe this is very possible, myself , if not having any viable lower support as mentioned as a possibility.

The next point is indeed of great interest to me.;
Next at about 2;31 the crewman somehow has managed to grab both hands of the man.all the while sitting in his precarious position and is able to hold him for a couple of seconds, until inevitably gravity won the fight.
This is no easy feat if it was just a reaction to save the man from falling.
Maybe he screamed for help just before he fell and the crewman had time to make this move?
Unfortunately you cannot see if the harness/shirt did slip up and over as i believe, but there appears to be no trailing equipment in the fall.

Hopefully the truth will come out ,but from what i understand of procedures often in Thailand,sadly it may not.
  • Like 1

dingdongrb    232
On 7/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps you missed a line:

Daily News reported that the equipment was faulty and that the necessary certification to operate such a business was not in order.

Who needs video evidence of that ?

What you have to worry about is the sentence they will get, or lack if it.

Didn't seem to matter when a scooter crashed into my car. The Thai scooter driver had no insurance and his license had expired as well as the scooter registration. Do you think that mattered to the police.

"You drive car, he drive scooter, your fault.'

steelepulse    3,385

In the Phuket news feed there is a daily video roundup of happenings in Phuket and Thailand.  In the video they show various people looking at a carabiner and the guy announcing the news says that the "harness became unclipped  from the parachute lines" at around the 45 second mark.

Seeing as how they think they found the cause, will these clowns operating the parasail be charged with a much more serious crime and will the financiers behind it also be charged?

4MyEgo    1,791
2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Didn't seem to matter when a scooter crashed into my car. The Thai scooter driver had no insurance and his license had expired as well as the scooter registration. Do you think that mattered to the police.

"You drive car, he drive scooter, your fault.'

Yep, have heard that one, and one were a drunk Thai guy was sentenced because his car ran into a scooter with a farang on it, busted up the farangs ankle, but a week later the farang see's the same guy driving a car, i.e. out of prison, go figure 555