Jonathan Fairfield

Must Read
Briton survives three days in the jungle after Samui waterfall plunge

86 posts in this topic

Judging by the amount of Tripadvisor reviews and the "Certficate of Excellence" I find it a bit strange that nobody found him earlier. It's just off the main road from Lamai to Mae Nam. Was he hiking there through the jungle or something?

No cellphone?

2 people like this

ID: 18   Posted (edited)

Poor coverage inland, especially when in a gorge. But seriously, there must be more to this story. There is a huge viewing platform 5 minutes before the falls and some reviews go like

We stopped of to see the waterfall whilst on an island tour,it was very busy,great little shops for souvenirs well worth a visit,we would have liked to stay longer

Edited by wump

Well done to all involved, but I agree that, in retrospect, maybe it would have been an idea to travel with a friend.  Next time. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, pumpjack said:

good job by local thais and emergency services ,  oh .......and for once the police :clap2:

Absolutely. Well done all concerned. Rock on Thailand! 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, pumpjack said:

good job by local thais and emergency services ,  oh .......and for once the police :clap2:

This is the only one time you have seen police in Thailand  getting a job done?

Good that he got water. No Food is not the problem for 3 days but the broken leg

51 minutes ago, wump said:

Poor coverage inland, especially when in a gorge. But seriously, there must be more to this story. There is a huge viewing platform 5 minutes before the falls and some reviews go like

We stopped of to see the waterfall whilst on an island tour,it was very busy,great little shops for souvenirs well worth a visit,we would have liked to stay longer

That's sounds like Namuang 2, another waterfall.

2 people like this

Nice ending but what the hell was he doing alone walking up there and not having told anyone where he was going?  He is very, very lucky. We ride up there all the time and usually see no one. It is indeed remote.

1 person likes this

Definition of stupid

1. 1a :  slow of mind :  obtuseb :  given to unintelligent decisions or acts :  acting in an unintelligent or careless mannerc :  lacking intelligence or reason :  brutish

2. 2:  dulled in feeling or sensation :  torpid still stupidfrom the sedative

3. 3:  marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting :  senseless a stupid decision

1 hour ago, wump said:

Judging by the amount of Tripadvisor reviews and the "Certficate of Excellence" I find it a bit strange that nobody found him earlier. It's just off the main road from Lamai to Mae Nam. Was he hiking there through the jungle or something?

It's not on the main road, it's on the shortcut road through the mountains.

1 person likes this

If I want to go from Lamai to Mae Nam, I take the jungle route so for me it's kind of a main road. Pretty well built and I am not quite sure why not more people are taking it during the daytime.

Khun-Si-Waterfall-Samui-4.jpg.2c1bba51aacfe5bbdf26a67150c20bb9.jpg

2 people like this

Just an example... Going to immigration is quicker and shorter taking the jungle route

Capture.PNG